Black People : is the attack on Hip Hop really an attack on Black culture?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Aug 7, 2004.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    divide and conquer?

as i was listening to Lil Kim................

the black neo con attack on "the lower economic class" that has become such an important theme lately (see skip gates) has won a lot of converts among blacks who normally would know better.

i know i get angry at the excesses of hip hop too, but i can't forget that hip hop is also us.
    bad language, funny dress, staying out all night, these are things i used to do when i was young.
    it made the old folks angry and they told me I'd never amount to anything.
    sound familiar?

punks like bill o'reilly know they would not be cool if they attacked black people directly so they find a sub group that many old blacks are already annoyed by.
    they mount an attack on that sub group and pretend to be on the side of the other group of blacks.

you know, divide and conquer.

black self hatred is being played like a violin nowadays.
    I'd rather dance to lil' Kim

:grouphug:

2. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    Like any part of black culture, the white man put his hands on hip hop, screwed it up and made everything about the almighty dollar. Now hip hop has been screwed up and may never go back to what it once was. There is still alot of good stuff out there, it just does not get promoted like the negative and stereotypical crap that shows up on BET.

Anything black gets attacked and excploited by them if they can mke buck off it.

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    yes the attacks on hip hop r divide and conquor in reality, james dont get radio rappers like the lil kims and the 50 cents mixed up with true hip hop. as earth stated wht owned record labels (as well as labels owned by blk sell outs) promote this garbage because it sells. what sells the most in amerikka? sex and violence, its true in hollywood, its true in rock, its true in rap.

true hip hop is positive, afrika bambata and the founding fathers of rap,meant rap to be a vice to teach the youth, and spread consciousness. true hip hop is about rhyme skills, creativity, and knowledge, and yes party and fun. but not self hate , violence and stupidity. wht rep, see the power of hip hiop, see that its made millionaires out of many, and spreads knowledge and truth aout this racist western world, so they seek to desroy- now more than ever since millions of whts are feeling the power of hip hop, and r rap fans. the blackneo conned fools who take part in rap hatred r ignorant, they dnt know whats really going on....mean while conscious rappers and underground emcees r rarely heard.......by the way bet is wht owned now

however not all mainstream is bad, that song why by jada kiss comes to mind...

4. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    ...Speaking on the double standard theory.

Not to me it isn't...trash is trash whether it's black or white. It just seems that most whites (asians and hispanics too) are getting a kick out of black trash as well and thus invest millions to be entertained by it. This is what really made rap the financial success it is today. Because while many black folks burn CDs and pass out copies to friends, whites and other races are doing most of the buying of this sort of thing. It seems we have always been more enjoyable to hear and be entertained by...since the days of slavery even. Oh well. :look: I think that the only ones who are growing tired of it are some black women and a few black men, but no Jessee Jacksons or Al Sharptons are stepping up to the plate. With zipped lips, the shows go on. :uhoh: Sadly, for the most part we like being degraded before the face of the world...it's kinda entertaining to most of "us" too. Many of us are very protective of the very things that are destroying us and thus there is little or no hunger within to change the path :crying: for the better. However, there is hope as more hip hop artist began to use a real vocabulary and venture into the real power source that we have in the awesome art know as hip hop. I love the art and I believe that the true original beauty and positive power of it shall one day be a dominant force in the lives of our people once again.

~j

5. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    ATTACK ON HIP HOP

I FIND IT AMAZING THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO STILL THINK HIP HOP REPRESENTS OUR CULTURE. AMAZING!!! HIP HOP IS ENTERTAINMENT BROTHER, THAT'S IT. WHITE PEOPLE ARE THE BIGGEST CONSUMERS OF THAT GARBAGE BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THEY THINK THE BLACK CULTURE IS ALL ABOUT. THE FACT IS, RAP IS NO MORE THAN A REDICULOUS CHARICATURE OF BLACK MEN. AND THE VIDEOS REDUCES THE VALUE OF OUR WOMEN TO NOTHING MORE THAN BIG BOOTIES AND BRAINLESS SLUTS. IN MY OPINION, MOST RAPPERS ARE NO BETTER THAN AMOS AND ANDY, OR STEP AND FETCHIT. A BUNCH OF SELLOUTS BEING PIMPED BY SOME WHITE MAN TELLING THEM TO BE GHETTO, STUPID AND VIOLENT, BECAUSE THAT'S HOW BLACK PEOPLE ARE. UNFORTUNATELY BLACK PEOPLE ARE SO HARD UP TO SEE BROTHERS MAKING IT THAT THIS GARBAGE IS TOLERATED.
    EMINEM CALLED BLACK MEN "PORCH MONKIES" AND BLACK WOMEN "BLACK *******" IN A RECORDING, YET DR DRE AND FIDDY CENT ARE YET TO PUBLICLY TELL THAT CREEP TO GET LOST. YET WHEN BILL O'RIELY MADE HIS REMARKS THERE WAS AN UPROAR. LIKE I SAID SELL OUTS.

THAT'S MY "BIG" OPINION

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    hip hop does represent our culture.
    it does not represent all of our culture and it may not be the best representation, but it is black culture.

7. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    YEAH, UNFORTUNATELY SELLOUTS AND CLOWNS ARE A PART OF OUR CULTURE ALSO.

8. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think the biggest problem as one person stated is the fact that white people quickly saw how profitable Hip Hop is. Then they got their hand on it. You know what happens after that. We black people start dancing to their tune. Jumping through their hoops. Chasing that green piece of paper and forgetting that Hip Hop was once a voice for black people. There has always been negative images and artist in Hip Hop, but not to this extent. It's embarassing now. It's probably the worse genre of music to me nowadays because there is no creativity, no message and no variety. The expectations of hip hop are in the trenches now because you know what someones album is going to be like before it even comes out. Hip Hop is dead because from here on it's always going to be about making money and making videos showing how much money they got. There are a handful of artist that make music for the people and openly express the fact that they know they will no go platinum because they are not willing to sell-out. That's sad. White people are going to continue to pimp us out because we continuously allow it.

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i agree about the sad state of hip hop.
    my question concerns neo cons using hip hop as a wedge issue to divide black people. :argue:

10. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    You know, we can have Hip-Hop, but it does not have to be about money, sex, and drugs. Kirk Franklin is a gospel recording artist, and he does not disrespect women or anything in his music. That is what we need out of Hip-Hop. You can do anything in Hip-Hop. Whether it is the way you wear your clothes, what comes out of mouth, or how you walk, it can be better, it can be change. I first thought that we needed to get rid of Hip-Hop because it represents our culture, but it does so in a bad way. That is the only reason why it is an attack in the first place.

Talk about staying off the streets, be about staying off the streets.
    Talk about staying in school, be about staying in school.
    Talk about encouraging kids to do the right thing, be about encouraging kids to do the right thing.
    Wear casual clothing, and so on.

These are ways how Hip-Hop can improve black culture instead of attacking it. Just a thought.

Not all Hip-Hop is bad. I know rappers who rap about Jesus and family and such. Since Hip-Hop represents a large percentage of our culture, we need to be involved in it.