Black People : Is "Stop Snitchin" mentality the safest option?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Coach707, May 8, 2006.

1. Coach707

Coach707 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I was watching a movie last night that raised a question about crime in our communities. In the movie, (forgot the name of it) a crime took place outside a corner store in a black community. The owner of the store was an elderly black man. He was upset that the teenager that got killed was a friend of the family and was a “good boy” that got into some trouble, so he gave a "tip" to the detectives to help solve the crime. The gang members that were involved in the crime found out that the old man "snitched" on them so they went back to kill him! Was it worth it?

Rappers are advertising "Stop Snitching" on videos and t-shirts to continue the support of people who refuse to cooperate with authorities. Of course it would be tragic to end up like the old man did in this movie, but with crimes happening almost everyday in some neighborhoods how can we reduce the violence if people feel as if they are forced to turn the other cheek?

Are people who keep their mouths closed when a crime happens in their neighborhood indirectly encouraging crime? Or are they right for not trusting cops and pretending like they didnt see anything to stay true to the code of the streets?

Thoughts, comments?

2. IfUComeSoftly

IfUComeSoftly Well-Known Member MEMBER

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    A Catch 22....

yes... it encourages/perputuates and ficilitates crime in those communities; however, telling can often times end in more crime. these criminals operate under the umbrella of fear to control the neighbor hood... And it works.

someone confided in me, in a roundabout sort of way, that they had murdered a man. i was deathly afraid of the murderer at the time for other reasons... however i called the police and then urged the person to turn themselves into the authorities... yes, i was afrai to tell BUT i was also afraid he would kill me to keep anyone else from finding out. in the end... i told... where many other people can't summon up the courage to do the same...

i tell now for little things and the people that live around me know it... they call me the neighborhood watch... and i don't give a darn... i need to feel secure when my children go outside and play.... so since everyone knows i'll call the police in a hot minute... they keep it pimpin out of my eyesight... cause I WILL CALL THE POLICE... or the sheriff... or whoever else... but that's just me...

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I agree , it does say i promote crime do it .....I feel and think if more
    people get involved in the daily happening in the communities I will tell
    in a heart beat , yes often the controlers work off fear and gain power but
    speaking up will weaken them and they will move to another area or hood

the stop snitching thing Rappers promoting is wrong because more of them
    are formal or from the street and live by the street , it's all in there music
    Rappers have given mix messages and the wrong one at that they never positive
    no more then a hand full and they study pulling from the street more gang members
    into the Rap music world

I say speak up for the safety of the community and your family / children
    it's true police haven't been much of a protector / officer friendly to black hoods
    that's why crime so high we sit back afraid to speak .....not me i beat the streets
    in my hood with others like me and nobody can tell me it don't work because
    the proof speaks for itself .....

4. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    When politicians, attorney's and the police routinely practice that very same "stop snitching" code among thier professions when misconduct is suspected, I really don't see how they can expect others to adhere to the values they disregard.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    "stop snitchin" is one of the dumbest ideas i have ever seen.

6. abstract219

abstract219 ...standing on the shoulders of giants MEMBER

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    Im snitching. I think some of these young boys in my hood know me and my crew are not all the time snitching, but taking some of these matters into our own hands.

That's my daughter out there playing on that street. If they come after me, so be it. I think myself, and the men in my community are prepared for that.

Some call it snitching. We call it thug removal services. If the women can stand up and tell who did what, then we as men need to do the same. And back it up with some force.

that's what we do.

hell, yea, Im snitchin.

7. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Any black person committing crimes against black people is and enemy of black people or the instrument of the enemy of black people. This stop snitching business really came to light in the case of Lil Kim. Kim is essentually in jail for stupidity and not bravery. How much courage does it take to be stupid? These stupid rappers that imitate the garbage they push to our kids need to be locked up too. Some would say that is too harsh or a black man should never wish another black man to be put in prison. Well I say these rappers have chosen stupidity over their blackness...For that they are no friends of ours...

Peace.....

8. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    This is by far one of the dumbest trends any group has started. Black people need to wake up, and fast.

9. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    It's never to harsh to wish our enemies would go away!

10. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Would a Black person expect someone to "stop snitchin" if their child was abducted and someone in their neighborhood had information of the child's whereabouts?