Black People : Is "Stop Snitchin" mentality the safest option?

Coach707

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 30, 2006
I was watching a movie last night that raised a question about crime in our communities. In the movie, (forgot the name of it) a crime took place outside a corner store in a black community. The owner of the store was an elderly black man. He was upset that the teenager that got killed was a friend of the family and was a “good boy” that got into some trouble, so he gave a "tip" to the detectives to help solve the crime. The gang members that were involved in the crime found out that the old man "snitched" on them so they went back to kill him! Was it worth it?

Rappers are advertising "Stop Snitching" on videos and t-shirts to continue the support of people who refuse to cooperate with authorities. Of course it would be tragic to end up like the old man did in this movie, but with crimes happening almost everyday in some neighborhoods how can we reduce the violence if people feel as if they are forced to turn the other cheek?

Are people who keep their mouths closed when a crime happens in their neighborhood indirectly encouraging crime? Or are they right for not trusting cops and pretending like they didnt see anything to stay true to the code of the streets?

Thoughts, comments?

A Catch 22....

Coach707 said:
I was watching a movie last night that raised a question about crime in our communities. In the movie, (forgot the name of it) a crime took place outside a corner store in a black community. The owner of the store was an elderly black man. He was upset that the teenager that got killed was a friend of the family and was a “good boy” that got into some trouble, so he gave a "tip" to the detectives to help solve the crime. The gang members that were involved in the crime found out that the old man "snitched" on them so they went back to kill him! Was it worth it?

Rappers are advertising "Stop Snitching" on videos and t-shirts to continue the support of people who refuse to cooperate with authorities. Of course it would be tragic to end up like the old man did in this movie, but with crimes happening almost everyday in some neighborhoods how can we reduce the violence if people feel as if they are forced to turn the other cheek?

Are people who keep their mouths closed when a crime happens in their neighborhood indirectly encouraging crime? Or are they right for not trusting cops and pretending like they didnt see anything to stay true to the code of the streets?

Thoughts, comments?

yes... it encourages/perputuates and ficilitates crime in those communities; however, telling can often times end in more crime. these criminals operate under the umbrella of fear to control the neighbor hood... And it works.

someone confided in me, in a roundabout sort of way, that they had murdered a man. i was deathly afraid of the murderer at the time for other reasons... however i called the police and then urged the person to turn themselves into the authorities... yes, i was afrai to tell BUT i was also afraid he would kill me to keep anyone else from finding out. in the end... i told... where many other people can't summon up the courage to do the same...

i tell now for little things and the people that live around me know it... they call me the neighborhood watch... and i don't give a darn... i need to feel secure when my children go outside and play.... so since everyone knows i'll call the police in a hot minute... they keep it pimpin out of my eyesight... cause I WILL CALL THE POLICE... or the sheriff... or whoever else... but that's just me...

I agree , it does say i promote crime do it .....I feel and think if more
people get involved in the daily happening in the communities I will tell
in a heart beat , yes often the controlers work off fear and gain power but
speaking up will weaken them and they will move to another area or hood

the stop snitching thing Rappers promoting is wrong because more of them
are formal or from the street and live by the street , it's all in there music
Rappers have given mix messages and the wrong one at that they never positive
no more then a hand full and they study pulling from the street more gang members
into the Rap music world

I say speak up for the safety of the community and your family / children
it's true police haven't been much of a protector / officer friendly to black hoods
that's why crime so high we sit back afraid to speak .....not me i beat the streets
in my hood with others like me and nobody can tell me it don't work because
the proof speaks for itself .....

Coach707 said:

Thoughts, comments?

When politicians, attorney's and the police routinely practice that very same "stop snitching" code among thier professions when misconduct is suspected, I really don't see how they can expect others to adhere to the values they disregard.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back