Black People : Is rap music responsible for the crime, violence, and drugs in the black communities?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by justjoy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. justjoy

justjoy New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    ???????????????????????????????

2. Velocity

Velocity Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    No but I think rap accentuates and promotes negative behavior. Nothing like the days when black artists focused on love, passion, happiness, social awareness and treated women with honor and place them on pedestals. You will never hear a rap along the lines of Lenny Williams "Cause I Love You”. Rap is often angry, superficial and dishonors the real culture of Black people, we aint a bunch of angry, dysfunctional thugs who can’t wait to splurge a bunch a money on bling bling, cars and ho's. Also rap is devoid of real musicians which is sorry. At least learn to play an instrument perhaps more creativity will come into play. I yearn to hear rap fused with Jazz which a few rap artists tried but with no big success. I think rap appeals to the angry and those seeking to affirm their own notions of cop out, the world is against you, you can't cause they wont let you, you down cuz somebody put you there and controls your fate, so be angry, embrace it, get hooked on it and listen to more rap for your next angry, cop-out fix. Let's burn this mutha-fucca Down!

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    yup, rap music is responsible for every thing bad in the community. :grin:
    jazz is responsible for all the good. :angel1:

4. plainrhythm

plainrhythm Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    err... i think it depends on how you look at it. some people use the game as an excuse to be violent and drug abusive. well, they can't keep blaming it on rap.

which is why i hate songs where the rapper just has to state how many women he has, how many cars and how much money. (that's basically all commercial) but otherwise, the true meaning of hip hop has died and rappers rap for money and publicity instead of the love of it.

much love.
    hope you feelin me on this one. :1on1:

5. Velocity

Ratings:
    +1
    Actually there is nothing wrong with rap itself but it is the message artists choose to put in their lyrics that encourages self destructive behavior. There is some positive dope out there but anger makes more money in the rap industry. Rap fills a need to express anger, it's an outlet and we know anger and disappointment is strong in the black community. Hey Tupac was my fix, an outlet of anger, depending on the song, but it got old. Rap facilitates the flow of anger, and I feel the strength of anger while listening to some songs. I think rap is also an outworking of our failures too, our young people choose to create angry, self destructive songs which is an indication of our failure towards them as parents.

The artist of my generation sung songs about love, happiness, passion, having fun, dancing, good times, passion, being in love, being deeply in love, being out of love, looking for love, love love love baby, :love: lol the 60's and 70's was the children who had reasons to be drawn to positive and good feeling songs. Why then and not now? :thinking:

6. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

:great: you got jokes James, good one bruh :haha:

7. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    I agree that angry rap encourages bad behavior, but it doesn't cause it. Violence on TV doesn't cause people to be violent, but it encourages people who already lean that way.

I used to listen to rap, but haven't for years.

8. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    My answer to that is yes and no, but in order to fully understand the nature of my answer I will lay it out like this;

What is rap? "rap is basically a message put to some form of music to give it appeal and synchronicity"...bottpm line: "a message".

With the advent of the European or systemic attack upon us as a people, something incredible was happening in our young people. Almost as if the spirit of our ancestors had come over them, they began expressing a new degree of consciousness. It was a consciousness that was being expressed in a coded language of their own through the vehicle of rap songs.

In the beginning it actually started out as a fun thing, bearing in mind that I'm not including such people as the Last Poets or Sonya Sanchez or Nikki Giovanni in this circle. As such, there was a natural attraction to the message of Malcom X aka Amuwali...particularly the message in which he stated "by any means necessary", which I've often seen taken out of context negatively.

As such, rap began to take on a more serious and systemically dangerous overtone as messages about the system and power were being displayed through their songs...messages that had the potential to teach, to arouse and to wake us up as a people. The European powers that be began to recognize this potential threat for what it was, and as such, they began a counter program.

Understanding the negative mind-set that was already implanted in our communities due to environment, miseducation, poverty and the daily social prejudices that our young were and are encountering...they began to promote this negativity and frustration through various rap artist as a means of countering the consciousness that was surfacing from the likes of Public Enemy, KRS-1, Sister Souljah, Kool Moe Dee, Grand Master Flash and others.

"THERE IS A UNIVERSAL LAW THAT SAYS: EVERYTHING REPRODUCES AFTER IT'S OWN KIND"...and Europeans have understood and used this law very well when it comes to manipulating our existence.

What we were witnessing was the power and ability of the European to do what they do best..."DIVIDE AND CONQUER".

Since more negativity, frustration, anger, poverty, hoplessness and dispair existed in our communities than positive forces, they simply promoted and supported one energy in order to cancel out the other that was more harmful to them. This is the manner and fashion in which rap began to take on the fake gangsterism, images and negativity that we see displayed. What has happened to rap is very much like what happened to black movies that we now know as "BLACKPLOITATION".

Just as the European powers back then created and promoted the images of the sexy super h**, the pimp, the drug dealer and the bulls*** glamour that supposedly went with it on the silver screens of hollywood that many of our people bought into, the same method was used with rap music...and the only thing keeping people blinded to much of this is the amout of money they are paid to do so. We must be mindful that money is a tool, a weapon, a method of manipulation by those in power who understand the significance of its influence upon the world today.

9. Velocity

Ratings:
    +1
    Keita,
    How much of it is of our own doing? You seem to make us out to be sheep completely innocent with no sin in us :fairy: , YT is the :grin:. Black people are totally blameless in regards to what rap has turn out to be? YT is so slick, smooth, so manipulative and we so naïve and blameless

I remember when MTV totally ignored the rap scene until it started making money and many Black INDEPENDENT rap stars and Black INDEPENDENT recording studios made million without YT no where in the mix. Which still is the case for many black rap labels today. When gangster rap hit the scene millions was made before YT was got a notion.

10. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Such isn't the case at all, but if I have the power and the potential to promote and accentuate your worse qualities and potential over your best ones, what would you call me ?