Black People : Is racism = oppression?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dustyelbow, Jan 28, 2007.

?

Is racism = oppression

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    I have been asking alot of people this, ESPECIALLY CHILDREN, in your opinion does any form of racism equal oppression.

I believe this is IMPORTANT because it will set the TERMS of RACE in this 21st CENTURY.

I can't get a good answer from the DICTIONARY or ENCYCLOPEDIA and I here of all kinds of RACISM like

INSTITUTIONAL RACISM
    CULTURAL RACISM

but not OPPRESSIVE RACISM.

Can RACISM really be BROKEN DOWN to SUCH SIMPLICITY?

So let me ask again, IS ALL FORMS of RACISM (light to heavy [if there was SUCH a THING]) = OPPRESSION.

Are we all getting caught up on the FORM and not seeing it defined where everyone will KNOW...

RACISM = OPPRESSION.

FINISHED.

2. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Racism is one form of Oppression.

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

"racism" & "opression" go hand in hand.......they are both components to keep White Supremecy alive!!

Racism is Born from the mindset of the Opressor, to positively re-inforce their supremecy system in their minds & the minds of their offspring......

4. NoirJava

NoirJava Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Mind over Matters...

Racism does exist yet it is the person who chooses to be "oppressed" about it...

Apathy for the most part is why things seem to remain the same but in my opinon that is a bigger issue than racism... now if the total Blk collective could possibly get on the same page and think outside of the box many will see a new direction...

Racism these days seems to be a buzz word quickly used as an excuse for those who lack motivation and initiative... It's an easy way to give up before even trying so again, it's a choice if one chooses to embrace it and allow it to stunt ones personal growth in achieving goals....

nuff said

5. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    UM

i thought they said oppressed not depressed
    just kiddin'

but trust me you feel oppression too
    you might not realize it becuase it's so subtle

and yes they are one in the same

6. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

Uhmm..interesting so what doctrine do you think The WORLD BANK and IMF opperate under? i wonder what Africans in the countries that are OPPRESED by these two entitites RACIST POLICIES will have to say about your statment.
    Btw what is the 'bigger issue' that blacks GLOBALY face other than racism?...think carefully before you respond, EVERY single social, economic, political strife that Africans in the diaspora and continental Africans face TODAY can be traced directly to white supremacy/racism.

7. NoirJava

NoirJava Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Answering your question...

The "bigger issue" is realizing how to manipulate the numbers to work within your favor... True, there are global issues, yet where is the "Global connect" to counter the ilks??? ??Perhaps some are too opressed to get started? Again, acceptance of any "ism" is a choice....

8. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

There are some who are trying to 'counter the ilks' however, you will not hear or see them in mainstream because of the status quo....I attended a meeting yesterday ( England) coordinated by a gentlemen ( an American citizen who now lives in Ghana) who is currently working with the of the Ghanaian government, to secure land/property for African Americans who want to repatriate back to Africa; this is just one of this endeavors to free Blacks globally from the grips of white supremacy/capitalism...i would call this a 'global connect' wouldn't you?
    acceptance of any "ism" is a choice Can you please explain how this could be a choice, for the African countries who are in extreme poverty because of the Racist polices of entities such as IMF and World Bank?
    Or how is this a 'choice' for millions of children around the world, who are still been robbed of their history because of Racist Education system/Neo colonialism; The British Museum collection of African Artifact is refered to as 'the Egyptian and African artifacts" now, is Egypt not in Africa? why the separation then? this is a classic example of racism..like one of the brothers said above...it is so subtle you don't notice it, because it has become a everyday occurrence for us.

9. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    I brought this up because I heard with my own EARS a young black (American-born) girl upper teens like 18 19 20 stating in a multi-racial mulit-ethnic setting she has never faced racism.

Everyone including the white host had their JAWS dropped to the FLOOR.

Even a immigrant A-RAB was in DISBELIEF.

If that is the next generation of black people in this country WE ARE DEFINITELY DONE FOR.

Oh well.

I also think if we as A PEOPLE are going to make AMERICA represent TRUE EQUALITY IDEALS even with CURSED CITIZENS we will have to STATE it PLAIN that RACISM = OPPRESSION. This country still adhere to SOME FORM of something called CHRISITIANITY and the word RACISM is not in that BIBLE.

That means RACISM is SEPERATE from OPPRESSION. It wont REGISTER in the MINDS of GREAT SOCIETY and that BIBLE they get their INFO from SUNDAY MORNING.

Somewhat OURSELVES TOO.

That is why there is RACISM and OPPRESSION.

Not OPPRESSION.

It's still a BATTLE of WORDS.

Oh well.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black oppression debate forums