Black People : Is racial/ethnic pride pointless?

African_Prince

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 1, 2005
I would argue that it is. It's entirely possible for someone to take pride in possessing a certain characteristic or heritage without identifying with other individuals who share the same characteristics or heritage. Since nobody chooses to be Black, I don't think we're justified in being "proud" of it. One could argue that pride is a self-glorifying emotion that can lead to single-mindedness, a sense of superiority and a disregard for the the feelings and interests of others. As far as nationalism is concerned, I think love is a far more useful emotion.

I would argue that it is. It's entirely possible for someone to take pride in possessing a certain characteristic or heritage without identifying with other individuals who share the same characteristics or heritage. Since nobody chooses to be Black, I don't think we're justified in being "proud" of it. One could argue that pride is a self-glorifying emotion that can lead to single-mindedness, a sense of superiority and a disregard for the the feelings and interests of others. As for as nationalism is concerned, I think love is a far more useful emotion.

Racial / Ethnic pride seems to have worked positively, for those who created the idea of race, using it to differentiate / dominate others.

If you're not in the dominating (economically, politically, etc.) race ... and/or especially Black ... racial pride can seem pointless, a burden even.

In addition, it is advantageous to the creators of the idea of race, for you to never see any redeeming qualities in your own.

That's how they want you to think, confident in training us, they've given our race the freedom to willingly diminish / discount our own selves ... as you are doing.

Another well done job, by them.

Thanks for sharing.

:heart:

Destee

That's how they want you to think, confident in training us, they've given our race the freedom to willingly diminish / discount our own selves ... as you are doing.

Another well done job, by them.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying but, for the record, I'm not against racial or ethnic unity/ nationalism. I just think that Black love is more valuable than Black pride. Nationalism is based on love, not pride.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying but, for the record, I'm not against racial or ethnic unity/ nationalism. I just think that Black love is more valuable than Black pride. Nationalism is based on love, not pride.

Not being proud of all that you are, all that God made you to be ... can be as damaging to you, and any collective you consider yourself a part of, as being against it.

That's why our people were stripped of every sense of pride, dignity, and self respect ... because they want us with none ... and that's what I think you're delivering.

Hope this helps you understand.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back