Black People : Is racial/ethnic pride pointless?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by African_Prince, Aug 18, 2009.

1. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    I would argue that it is. It's entirely possible for someone to take pride in possessing a certain characteristic or heritage without identifying with other individuals who share the same characteristics or heritage. Since nobody chooses to be Black, I don't think we're justified in being "proud" of it. One could argue that pride is a self-glorifying emotion that can lead to single-mindedness, a sense of superiority and a disregard for the the feelings and interests of others. As far as nationalism is concerned, I think love is a far more useful emotion.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Racial / Ethnic pride seems to have worked positively, for those who created the idea of race, using it to differentiate / dominate others.

If you're not in the dominating (economically, politically, etc.) race ... and/or especially Black ... racial pride can seem pointless, a burden even.

In addition, it is advantageous to the creators of the idea of race, for you to never see any redeeming qualities in your own.

That's how they want you to think, confident in training us, they've given our race the freedom to willingly diminish / discount our own selves ... as you are doing.

Another well done job, by them.

Thanks for sharing.

:heart:

Destee

3. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    No individual controls what skin they were born in. Therefore, no one can take credit for it. A person should be proud of what they've molded themselves into. I guess if you can't be proud of that, then that superficial pride is something you can cling to.

4. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying but, for the record, I'm not against racial or ethnic unity/ nationalism. I just think that Black love is more valuable than Black pride. Nationalism is based on love, not pride.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Not being proud of all that you are, all that God made you to be ... can be as damaging to you, and any collective you consider yourself a part of, as being against it.

That's why our people were stripped of every sense of pride, dignity, and self respect ... because they want us with none ... and that's what I think you're delivering.

Hope this helps you understand.

Destee

6. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    nationalism to the extreme is called fascism....
    it is debatable if this rooted from love....

logically speaking...i believe that it is a honor to be selected to be black...a choice has nothing to do with being born from the loins of the first man/woman on this earth...

that's like saying i'm not proud to be the son of a king....african prince

you're young so i've been giving you the benefit of the doubt lately...but i must ask
    do you understand the principles of logic and deductive reasoning?

or are you just saying all of this left field ish to get attention?
    i dunno son...you just come across as being a lil off to me....

one love
    khasm

7. WARRIOR

WARRIOR BAMN - By Any Means Necessary PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +298
    GREETINGS AFRICAN PRINCE....

I FOR ONE AM PROUD TO BE A BLACK MAN.....MY BLACKNESS IS STRONG...ITS INSIDE ME.....AND I WEAR IT BOLDLY EACH AND EVERYDAY.....

ALSO.....I LET IT SHINE....

I OWE IT TO THE ANCESTORS , MY ELDERS, MY CHILDREN , AND TO MY BROTHERS & SISTERS TO BE PROUD , AND TO KEEP MOVING FORWARD IN BLACK THOUGHT.....

I WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY....SO YES BROTHER.....I CHOOSE TO BE BLACK....WHETHER I CALL MYSELF BLACK OR OTHERS CALL ME BLACK...

WHENEVER ANYONE LOOKS AT ME , AND DECIDES TO DEAL WITH ME , THEY KNOW JUST FROM MY POSTURE ALONE , THAT IM BLACK & PROUD......AND NO SIR , ITS NOT FOR SALE....

I HAVE WITNESSED & EXPERIENCED TOO MUCH TO CHOOSE TO BE ANYTHING ELSE....

NOW , I DONT SEE PRIDE THE WAY YOU JUST DESCRIBED , BECAUSE CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS IS A PERSONAL RULE OF MINE.....WITHOUT CONSIDERATION......I CAN'T CLAIM ANY BONDS...AND BRIDGES ARE BUILT ON BONDS IN MY OPINION....

MY PRIDE GLOWS WHEN I SEE OTHER BLACKS DO WELL......NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND...

AS FOR BLACK NATIONALISM...I'M FOR IT.....BUT I GUESS YOU CAN CALL ME A FOOL.....BECAUSE THE SNIPER IN ME WOULD START WITH THE ONES WHO SUPPORT THOSE THAT DEFACED THE SPHINX.....

WARRIOR

8. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    I'm not proud or ashamed to be Black. I had no choice in being Black, I didn't earn it.

To me, pride is something separate from dignity and self-respect.

I think I do.

Fascism is authoritarian, it advocates that the individual is subordinate to the state. Many people confuse nationalism with statism, a 'nation' is simply a group of people who share common heritage, culture or way of life. Nationalists are pro-nation, they are not necessarily pro-state (although they may or may not advocate a state to represent the interests of their nation). I am anti-state, all states.

Nationalism is the idea that all members of a group belong to one nation, the focus of nationalism is unity/solidarity.

Black people don't descend from the early humans any more than every other human on the planet does. We may (or may not) resemble them more in terms of physical appearance but we're not more related to them.

But you didn't earn being the son of a king so why would you take pride in it? I'm being a little hypocritical considering my username, lol. If I was an anarchist when I joined this site, I probably would have chosen something like 'African Nation' or 'African Love'. All men are equals, there shouldn't be any kings, rulers, bosses etc.

I'm not that young, I don't know why you would assume this.

9. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771

Though I can agree with your stated notions, on the surface. A ethnic culture is much more then a superficial style of acting. An ethnic group has deep cultural under pinning's that are tied to deeper philosophical perspectives. It’s never been about skin color really. Though that’s how we’ve been identified. Its really about cultural and philosophical understandings.

Most of our people are of Bantu speaking nations. With that came similar understanding of the universe and how to work with each other, cooperatively and not competiveness. Our ancestors did not have a god that demanded his/her unquestionable loyalty. We over all had a spiritual system that promoted harmony. Though it’s true that we as a people have gone through many changes culturally. Black African people are not just a skin color, but a people with our own cultural and spiritual philosophies.

I’ll go a step farther, black African people need to fight and resist the simple notions that all humans are but the same. Our collective ancestral philosophies are the future if we are to survive. The Euro-centric and western model are weak and can not sustain a long term live. Here in the U.S. many have lost their connection to their heritage. Black/African philosophical understandings that developed over thousands of years, toward mutual living conditions. The euro model is based on dominance, divide and conquer. Requiring complacency and conformity.

Black African people can just go with the flow and disappear! Or they can resist our cultural onslaught. I know that West-central African cultural philosophies are superior to any western notions. So there is no way that I will let them go, for the sake of not struggling………….

AXE! Corvo

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother African Prince ... while your username suggests otherwise, you can remain half-hearted and uncommitted toward anything you'd like.

I only advise that you never go to prison ... for based on what they show us on television, coupled with the overwhelming odds of Black Men (you) ending up there ... it seems to be all about race in that arena, and you'll have to boldly stand as and with other Black Men ... or die.

So keep yourself safe, and out of harms way.

I'm sure that's my fault, folk thinking you young, because I've been saying it. Surely you've seen me?

If you are not young, challenge me ... not others ... 'cause they probably got it from me.

If I'm wrong, let me know, I meant no disrespect.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee