Black People Politics : Is Pres. Obama and Clarence Thomas one and the same on Affirmative Action?

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Kadijah, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I just finished reading an article on Affirmative Action, it's origins and how it has fared in the courts since its inception in 1941 when President Franklin D. Roosevelt took the first step when he issued a directive forbidding defense contractors from using racially discriminatory hiring practices. Just interesting, informative reading until I saw this and nearly fell out of my seat:

And after he graduated from Yale, he went on a tear to get rid of the ONLY thing that got him into Yale in the first place: Affirmative Action.

But I already knew this. So no, it is that clown Thomas' denunciation of affirmative action, coupled with the following that blew me away:

So Obama and Clarence Thomas, BOTH of whom got to their Ivy League educations ONLY with the help of Affirmative Action, and without Affirmative Action would NOT have been admitted.... are cut out of the same selfish, ingrate, "I got mine; you get yours" cynical cloth?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    i don't think that is a general statement. i'm pretty sure the obama girls will not have a problem.

3. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    So why talk about it in the first place? Or rather, why talk about it in a context of Affirmative Action?

4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Obama's take on affirmative action

Barack Obama doesn't think anyone should cut his two daughters any slack when they apply to college — not because...

WASHINGTON — Barack Obama doesn't think anyone should cut his two daughters any slack when they apply to college — not because of their race, at least. In the unlikely event that the Obama family goes broke, then maybe.
    In an interview broadcast Sunday on ABC's "This Week," Obama waded into the central issue of the affirmative-action debate: race vs. class. Perhaps typically, Obama's remarks were more Socratic than declarative. He didn't really answer the question, he rephrased it. Maybe the way he posed it, though, will lead to a discussion that's long overdue.

George Stephanopoulos asked Obama if his daughters should be able to benefit from affirmative action when the time comes for them to go to college. The girls "should probably be treated by any admissions officer as folks who are pretty advantaged," Obama said.

Stephanopoulos was driving at the question of whether race-based affirmative-action programs are still needed. Another way to frame the issue is whether race or class is the more important factor in our society. Are minorities raised in middle-class or wealthy homes still held back by racism? Or should we now focus on socioeconomic status as the principal barrier keeping people from reaching their potential?

Obama's answer, basically, was yes. To both questions.

Obama has repeatedly gone on record as a supporter of affirmative action. But "if we have done what needs to be done to ensure that kids who are qualified to go to college can afford it," he said in the ABC interview, then "affirmative action becomes a diminishing tool for us to achieve racial equality in this society."

He seemed to side with those who think class predominates when he said, "I think that we should take into account white kids who have been disadvantaged and have grown up in poverty and shown themselves to have what it takes to succeed."

http://seattletimes.com/html/opinion/2003706691_robinson15.html

[/quote]

It gets even worse! AGAIN, he's taking something BLACKS fought for .... and ONLY blacks.... and now he wants to give it away to white kids. (smh)

5. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Yes Kadijah! Ever wonder why none of us who vote from him, heard about him before he ran?
    Why no "yeah the brother did us right in Chi town them 2 years as senator"
    No
    none of that!!!,
    fact some folks thought he was a republican by the way he voted and acted as senator!

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    he IS a republican. a moderate republican. the country is so far to the right that moderate republicans are now positioned as democrats.

7. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I didn't want special consideration either. I rather get points for my efforts, that the color of my skin. I've proved that IO didn't need AA to succeed, I live in a state that does not have it.

Peace!

8. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Brother that is the point! They desire Blacks to think individualistlcally, rather then collectively, as they have done to Africa, so they desire to do to Black folks here.
    If I get over on something in NY cause of my talents and skills I still have to be concerned about sisters and brothers gettin the shaft in other states inspite of their efforts talents and resume

9. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    :SuN013:
    lawd Ha mercy!

10. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    This doesn't say that this is kicking others to the curb, I know there are other folks that need it. I said I don't want it for me because I know I can achieve without it. There is a time for collectivism, and a time for individualism. In spite Of me not needing it, I still voted for it. It was whity, and a few blacks that voted it out. The haters used wording that would make a fair person vote against AA. But many of us knew better, but it wasn't enough.

Peace!