Science and Technology : Is PMS Real? New Study...

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Kemetstry, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    Weeping through a Lifetime movie right now? Study says don't blame PMS

Are you irritable, crying at pet food commercials and shoving handfuls of chocolate into your open mouth? Don't blame it on PMS. A study from New Zealand's University of Otago traced women's moods at every stage of their menstrual cycle, discovering that only 15 percent had what were deemed "classic" PMS symptoms. They agree that cycle-related hormone changes can affect women's mindsets, but those changes aren't necessarily related to the onset of menstruation. So why do we think it's PMS? The researchers blame "a long-established tendency to label women's behavior as overly emotional and to attribute this to female reproductive function." YOU UNDERSTAND US? We could cry … and it's not because of PMS. [Source]

For many women, premenstrual syndrome, or PMS, is a familiar preamble to their monthly cycle. But a new review of the data suggests that mood changes aren’t as closely tied to menses as many have assumed.
    A team led by Dr. Sarah Romans of the University of Otago in New Zealand reviewed 47 studies that followed women’s moods across the menstrual cycle. Only 15% of the studies found that women tended to have “classic” PMS: moods that worsened as the menstrual period approached and lifted when menstruation occurred. An additional 38% found PMS that lasted into menstruation or another cycle phase.
    (MORE: Stress Leads to Worse PMS Symptoms)
    However, a further 38% of the studies found no association between mood and any particular phase of the cycle. And 9% found that the worst moods actually occurred outside of the premenstrual phase. That means that little more than half of the studies (53%) found any link between menstruation and bad mood, and 85% didn’t find classic PMS.
    “The major finding of this review was that clear evidence for a specific premenstrual-phase-related mood occurring in the general population is lacking,” the authors conclude.
    Nonetheless, the idea of moodiness occurring cyclically in women has a long-standing history. The authors cite a “long-established tendency to label women’s behavior as overly emotional and to attribute this to female reproductive function.”
    (MORE: Got PMS? Milk Marketers Launch an Audacious, Funny New Ad Campaign)

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/10/22/pms-is-a-myth-new-study/#ixzz2ACJtz3S5

2. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Kemestry you can do your own survey....:lol:

3. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122

Why?

4. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    By personal observation...

5. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122

Scientists doing the study are harder to argue with

6. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Maybe you can observe your significant other...:p

7. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122

Too small a sample. lol

But I have dated two that had those issues

8. Moon Child

Moon Child Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +279
    In my opinion this New Zealand study does not represent the ENTIRE female population. What I focused on is that for SOME women, PMS is REAL that is enough for me to support that it does exist and needs to be taken into consideration.

http://www.zocdoc.com/answers/7610/is-pms-real

here is one that is balanced....

http://www.everydayhealth.com/womens-health/what-is-pms.aspx

What I find disturbing is that there are "strict clinical criteria that define PMS" .. if the guide lines are strict then of course many women would fall outside of the criteria.. sounds like a war against women again, which the medical community is notorious for, including the women who work within the community who fall into the male medical mindset.

Another question I have is how can one's menses cycle be measured and cataloged as to WHEN these symptoms need to appear and take effect? Yeah I know, they watch hormonal levels, but isn't every woman different? Are they insinuating that all of our hormonal cycles are the SAME? hmmm, I questino that if that is what this study or any study is implying. What man and his studies need to understand it that women are women and we are a mystery that no man can completely figure out. So, all this does is create a negative mindset toward women for the men who are looking for excuses to deny them the opportunity of being created differently and to conform to his mindset of what is "real and what is not "real." Dangerous territory!

Lastly, I am not going to get into whether or not some women use this time of the month as an excuse to go "off" because this study doesn't talk about that. I am sure that SOME women might, but really whose to tell? For me, PMS needs to be respected period, no pun attended.

9. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122

Is it that or are they saying, implying that many are being hypochondriacs about this? A couple of people start coughing in a room legitimately. Suddenly, everyone in the room starts to cough. The rest are giving a mere reflex sympathetic coughing as apposed to the real thing.

And do some of you use this as an excuse to go off?

10. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    This study helps you sleep better at night doesn't it? Matter of fact most of the studies that you post about women give you a clear conscience of your past relationships and that you are not to blame, huh?