Black People : Is Patriarchy a Bad Thing?

Nothing is good or bad

What I mean by my question is, does patriarchy necessarily equate to oppressing women? Is it possible for a society or household/society to be patriarchal or matriarchal, for that matter, without being oppressive???

Please provide your definitions for the term patriarchy and explanations for your answers.

Peace.

It is a matter of perception

I be live that if two understand their role or model their role then balance is to be sustained and obtained

if I had to conceptualize patriarchy it would be that which is consistent with the father, father figure or the masculine element or the standard by which one gives meaning or definition to aspects of ONE

My explanation for my answer is that existence is not possible without said patriarchy and my perception of what it is, therefore actualizing the balance of protection and nurturing, which equates to two elements of the same self.

I vaguely recall reading some time ago about an adventurer who, while journeying deep into the heart of the jungle that lines the Amazon, discovered a tribe of people whose men stayed in the huts relaxing, while the women worked in the fields with their children on their backs.

The adventurer (whose name I can't remember) concluded that the men commanded the women to do this, and the women obeyed. Upon hearing his explanation, it immediately sounded fishy to me. Judging from my experience interacting with both men and women, I find it immensely more likely that the women commanded the men to work in the fields, and the men disobeyed. :10500:

lmao

Welp, When I hear the words "obey " and "disobey" regardless who is doing the ordering...............One eyebrow automatically is raised.

I think our conditioning has a lot to do with what's receptive verses commands.

ie- What's paramount in my relationship with my better half is not that I can MAKE him do what I want. But the fact that he WANTS, DESIRES, to please me, and include me, first in all things. That's displayed in his actions. And same vice verser.

Demands make me shiver. lmao I think if we get away from that mental shape. We can do a lot better in every aspect of our lives.

Gender never was an means of stature. Truly an western culture practice because it was neccessary for THEM.

I believe, To appreciate , and value what the other gives which is essential and vital to us as collective beings.

As I think about it , Would a woman minimize a man, if she indeed truly valued him and saw him as her completion ?? Would a man minimize a woman , If he indeed valued her and saw her as his completion ??

And if we carried THAT in every social realm , economically, and likewise. Would we all be in a better place ??

What I mean by my question is, does patriarchy necessarily equate to oppressing women? Is it possible for a society or household/society to be patriarchal or matriarchal, for that matter, without being oppressive???

Please provide your definitions for the term patriarchy and explanations for your answers.

Peace.

I think any system that makes one the head over another is wrong and stupid. Let's say that the head gets hurt and is unable to perform his head duties, then what?

Woman can do just as much as man and on top of that, she can give birth. Man can do anything that a woman can do and on top of that, he carries seeds. Man and woman are equally important and both of them can provide equal duties. Matriarchy and Patriarchy are english words so I don't think they historically necessarily apply, to African people. Of course, man and woman should have their specific duties but those duties should not be exclusive to one or the other. Man and woman should assist each other in the best interest of the family. It is really unecessary for one to rule over the other.

Just look at history, history shows that there were female warriors in Lybia, Jamaica, Ghana, Nigeria and even black women in America were warriors...

To me this shows that a woman should not be below, behind, nor in front of the man, she should be beside him.

Matriarchy and Patriarchy exploits the egos on both sides and it causes a division between man and woman. Look at this world now, it is out of balance which is the result in a lack of respect for the feminine aspect.

What I mean by my question is, does patriarchy necessarily equate to oppressing women?

Not necessarily but it leaves room for oppressing women. Kind of like how black people were considered 1/4th human and until that law was re written, it left room for blacks being considered part animal. As a matter a fact, I think something came up recently where it was said that that law of blacks being 1/4th human was never taken out, instead an ammendmant was added.

Astrologer4U

Are we confusing the terms matrilineal and patrilineal with matriarchy and patriarchy? Isn't there a difference? I notice that people seem to be mixing the terms.

there is a difference, but with that being said both can co-exist together......a society can be patrilineal and be either matriarchal or patriarchal....it can also be matrilineal and be patriarchal or matriarchal.............

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back