Pets / Animals : Is Owning a Pet a Luxury?

Well, Sister Des, I guess it's all a matter of perspective as you said. For people that love animals like I do and can afford them, owning a pet is something that brings me joy and makes my living experience a happier and healthier one. But for those that don't have the means to care for a pet but would like to have one, may view this as yet another line of division between the "haves" versus the "have nots"? Do some pets live better than some people? Yes and I recognize the controversy around that reality as well.

Sister Queenie ... you bring up a very controversial point ... pets that live better than some people!

I think it's ironic, us ... black people ... with pets eating better than some of our people, as we talk of unity.

Individuals will fight to care for their pets ... which is reasonable too ... yep controversy with a capital C ... :)

The ability to care for a pet properly is definitely a division between the haves and have nots, cause if you can't financially afford the animal ... you're a have not ... and even if you go ahead and get the pet ... the poor thing oftentimes looks like he belongs to a family that can't afford him.

Thanks for Sharing!

:heart:

Destee

Peace and Blessings Family,
I think owning a pet is a luxury ... sorta ... i mean ... it costs so much money!
Raising babies as a Single Mother ... i can remember many a day thinking ... why am i feeding this animal?!
Don't even talk about vet bills ... please ... i got stories i could tell ... !!!
Is owning a pet a luxury in your opinion ... or just an every day normal thing even poor people can do?
Love You!
:heart:
Destee

I don't know if it's a luxury.
Maybe it is. Kind of like having a child...because I don't believe that you should go about trying to have a child or a pet if you're not going to care for them properly. So, it's a definite 'want' (versus a 'need'), I know that.
You have homeless folk with dogs and they're about as giving to their pets as I am to mine. They just have less to work with than you and I. The animal is no less loved. They just don't have the means to care for the pet properly.

But...what is it to care for a pet properly? *shrug* Means different things to different people. I guess.

Introducing... 'The Yard Dawg'.
*laugh*

...because there are people out there who leave their dogs tied up in their backyards for days on end and actually think themselves 'fit' to own a pet.They'd call themselves 'responsible pet owners' without batting a lash.
Yup.

No immunizations. No vet visits. No covering from the elements. No comfortable, dry place to sleep. No bathing. No exercise.
...and they wonder why the dog digs and destroys the flowers. It's bored, 'shortbus'.
Po' dog's baking or freezing in the elements. Dog's hungry? "He got food. That fly covered Kibbles 'n Bits concoction that's been baking in the sun all morning?"
Mmm...now - that's good eatin'!
What's wrong with the dawg? "Water?! Cain't be. I just filled his bowl day fo' yestiddy!"
Thunderstorm coming? Dog's outside bayin' at the lightning strikes and dodgin' hail stones. Seek shelter under your tree, Fido.
Tornado touching down? Everyone sought shelter and forgot the dog still outside chained to the tree.
Hurricane's a-coming? Po' dog got swept away with the tree that he was attached to.
Po' thang didn't even get a chance to run for it's life.

Whereas, you've people like me...who find it repugnant to even feed my dogs commercial brands of pet food, like Alpo and Science Diet (because it's processed, sugary, by-product-laden crap).
Some that I've tried? Merrick, Innova and Timberwolf. Right now, we're on Wellness.
'Mimi' eats Evangers and brown rice. She'll eat anything that has quality (real) food in it.
*laugh*
'Paris' has 'digestive issues' so she eats mostly poultry and brown rice.
'Simone' just eats whatever the hell I give her. Like a good dog.

I buy meat from the market and just set aside some chicken from the main meal that I cook for myself and my husband. My brothers sometimes bring me deer meat when they go to the country to hunt and fish. That's always a nice treat. These dogs love deer and lamb...and buffalo. First time I gave Mimi some strips of buffalo meat?
She was sh--ting all day, but she was a happy little puppy.
*laugh*
In all dishes, I mix their 'wet' with brown rice.
Some pet owners have this 'thing' about feeding their dogs 'people food'.
Well, no - dogs can't eat pizza and fried foods. *laugh*
But unseasoned poultry, lamb, beef, etc...with the fat drained? Of course, they can. Dogs are carnivores.
They eat meat. They need meat. Your dogs shouldn't prefer their treats to their food.
It's just kind of hard to encourage the dogs to eat those dry kibbles when they've had real food (or quality pet food). This is true even if the dry comes from the same brand as the wet.
I've done what I could to find 'dry' that's more palatable.

So, yeah...'taking care of a pet, properly'.
It got easier with time, but with 'Mimi-Belle'...? Bringing her home was like preparing for the birth of a human baby. *laugh*

I had:
- The number to a vet hospital in case of emergency.
- The number of a few groomers in town.
- Researched obedience training. I just used Petsmart. Chi's are smart dogs, though. It doesn't take much.
- Pet insurance.
- Supplies: A crate. Pet bed. Breed books. Training books. A cover and blankets for her crate (because chi's are cold-natured). Kiddie gates. Little sweaters (again...cold-natured). Piddle pads. Leash. Carrier. Food/water dish. Y'know...I went out and bought one of those water contraptions that refreshes water like a fountain? Put the dog in front of the bowel and the po' thang wasn't even big enough to see over and into it. *laugh*
With the time, I had to buy more things: Sofa covers. Bigger carriers. Bigger harnesses. More toys. A toy bin. Poop bag and dispensers. Water bottle for when we're out and about.
Any toy breed owners?
http://www.littlebaddog.com/Dog-T-Shirts_c_24.html
http://www.gollygear.com/index.html
http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/dog-supplies/dog-beds/

- Lots of chew toys and squeakers. For teething, chewing...and entertainment. Dogs chew and get 'destructive' out of sheer boredom, too).
- Training treats (because you've got to start them out young).
- Food. I once got into this debate over Science Diet. I can't believe that people feed their dogs that crap. You might as well just give the dog Alpo.
- Shampoo/conditioner and wipes

I put her crate in my room because she was afraid to be in my living room by herself. New surroundings and all. I was up every few hours trying to get her used to piddle-pad training.
Eventually, she did begin sleeping in the living room. It took about 2 nights. Not bad.
I'd just position her further and further away from my room. By the 3rd night, I just put her in the living room with the kitchen light on and let her hollar it out. *laugh*
I had her pad-trained in under a month.
Having a puppy is like having a small toddler in the home.

Anyway -

Pet insurance isn't expensive at all. I have Embrace. Just be sure to check for pre-existing conditions clause. Also, don't just buy whatever the vet shoves down your throat. The following sites come with user reviews and such.
http://www.petinsuranceguideus.com/
http://www.petinsurancereview.com/101.asp

For pad-training? I use the adult human pads at Sam's warehouse. I also put 2 human incontinence pads beneath them to protect my floors.

Obedience training? Until you've had one strained and spread-eagled over the bath tub - and fallen into the tub, yourself? You've no idea how strong a chihuahua can be.
It's a good thing that 2/3 of my dogs hate to bathe, though.
I've found that water filled spray bottles work as well on dogs as they do with felines.

In addition to ensuring the comfort of my dogs, I like to accessorize and can't have a big cage-y looking doggie contraption throwing my decor off.
*laugh*

So, for the like-minded, I bought my a crate bedding off Amazon.

$50 bucks.
Stands up well to washing. Fabric retains it's appearance well.

This was before PetSmart and Petco even started making their versions of things. $180.00...:rolleyes:
They're way over-priced, if you ask me... and I haven't even experienced them.
I don't have to, though.
I'm not against anyone spending that sort of money...but when you start heading into the $100 territory for pet items, it's time to consider a few things. If you pay that much from their items? You might as well buy from a shop that specializes in making the product.
http://www.cratecoversandmore.com/crates-and-crate-covers.html
http://www.callingalldogs.com/
http://www.pampermepuppy.com/

The only thing this book is missing is a title, lol...

Nice write MimiBelle

I don't know if it's a luxury.
Maybe it is. Kind of like having a child...because I don't believe that you should go about trying to have a child or a pet if you're not going to care for them properly. So, it's a definite 'want' (versus a 'need'), I know that.
You have homeless folk with dogs and they're about as giving to their pets as I am to mine. They just have less to work with than you and I. The animal is no less loved. They just don't have the means to care for the pet properly.

But...what is it to care for a pet properly? *shrug* Means different things to different people. I guess.

Introducing... 'The Yard Dawg'.
*laugh*

...because there are people out there who leave their dogs tied up in their backyards for days on end and actually think themselves 'fit' to own a pet.They'd call themselves 'responsible pet owners' without batting a lash.
Yup.

No immunizations. No vet visits. No covering from the elements. No comfortable, dry place to sleep. No bathing. No exercise.
...and they wonder why the dog digs and destroys the flowers. It's bored, 'shortbus'.
Po' dog's baking or freezing in the elements. Dog's hungry? "He got food. That fly covered Kibbles 'n Bits concoction that's been baking in the sun all morning?"
Mmm...now - that's good eatin'!
What's wrong with the dawg? "Water?! Cain't be. I just filled his bowl day fo' yestiddy!"
Thunderstorm coming? Dog's outside bayin' at the lightning strikes and dodgin' hail stones. Seek shelter under your tree, Fido.
Tornado touching down? Everyone sought shelter and forgot the dog still outside chained to the tree.
Hurricane's a-coming? Po' dog got swept away with the tree that he was attached to.
Po' thang didn't even get a chance to run for it's life.

Whereas, you've people like me...who find it repugnant to even feed my dogs commercial brands of pet food, like Alpo and Science Diet (because it's processed, sugary, by-product-laden crap).
Some that I've tried? Merrick, Innova and Timberwolf. Right now, we're on Wellness.
'Mimi' eats Evangers and brown rice. She'll eat anything that has quality (real) food in it.
*laugh*
'Paris' has 'digestive issues' so she eats mostly poultry and brown rice.
'Simone' just eats whatever the hell I give her. Like a good dog.

I buy meat from the market and just set aside some chicken from the main meal that I cook for myself and my husband. My brothers sometimes bring me deer meat when they go to the country to hunt and fish. That's always a nice treat. These dogs love deer and lamb...and buffalo. First time I gave Mimi some strips of buffalo meat?
She was sh--ting all day, but she was a happy little puppy.
*laugh*
In all dishes, I mix their 'wet' with brown rice.
Some pet owners have this 'thing' about feeding their dogs 'people food'.
Well, no - dogs can't eat pizza and fried foods. *laugh*
But unseasoned poultry, lamb, beef, etc...with the fat drained? Of course, they can. Dogs are carnivores.
They eat meat. They need meat. Your dogs shouldn't prefer their treats to their food.
It's just kind of hard to encourage the dogs to eat those dry kibbles when they've had real food (or quality pet food). This is true even if the dry comes from the same brand as the wet.
I've done what I could to find 'dry' that's more palatable.

So, yeah...'taking care of a pet, properly'.
It got easier with time, but with 'Mimi-Belle'...? Bringing her home was like preparing for the birth of a human baby. *laugh*

I had:
- The number to a vet hospital in case of emergency.
- The number of a few groomers in town.
- Researched obedience training. I just used Petsmart. Chi's are smart dogs, though. It doesn't take much.
- Pet insurance.
- Supplies: A crate. Pet bed. Breed books. Training books. A cover and blankets for her crate (because chi's are cold-natured). Kiddie gates. Little sweaters (again...cold-natured). Piddle pads. Leash. Carrier. Food/water dish. Y'know...I went out and bought one of those water contraptions that refreshes water like a fountain? Put the dog in front of the bowel and the po' thang wasn't even big enough to see over and into it. *laugh*
With the time, I had to buy more things: Sofa covers. Bigger carriers. Bigger harnesses. More toys. A toy bin. Poop bag and dispensers. Water bottle for when we're out and about.
Any toy breed owners?
http://www.littlebaddog.com/Dog-T-Shirts_c_24.html
http://www.gollygear.com/index.html
http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/dog-supplies/dog-beds/

- Lots of chew toys and squeakers. For teething, chewing...and entertainment. Dogs chew and get 'destructive' out of sheer boredom, too).
- Training treats (because you've got to start them out young).
- Food. I once got into this debate over Science Diet. I can't believe that people feed their dogs that crap. You might as well just give the dog Alpo.
- Shampoo/conditioner and wipes

I put her crate in my room because she was afraid to be in my living room by herself. New surroundings and all. I was up every few hours trying to get her used to piddle-pad training.
Eventually, she did begin sleeping in the living room. It took about 2 nights. Not bad.
I'd just position her further and further away from my room. By the 3rd night, I just put her in the living room with the kitchen light on and let her hollar it out. *laugh*
I had her pad-trained in under a month.
Having a puppy is like having a small toddler in the home.

Anyway -

Pet insurance isn't expensive at all. I have Embrace. Just be sure to check for pre-existing conditions clause. Also, don't just buy whatever the vet shoves down your throat. The following sites come with user reviews and such.
http://www.petinsuranceguideus.com/
http://www.petinsurancereview.com/101.asp

For pad-training? I use the adult human pads at Sam's warehouse. I also put 2 human incontinence pads beneath them to protect my floors.

Obedience training? Until you've had one strained and spread-eagled over the bath tub - and fallen into the tub, yourself? You've no idea how strong a chihuahua can be.
It's a good thing that 2/3 of my dogs hate to bathe, though.
I've found that water filled spray bottles work as well on dogs as they do with felines.

In addition to ensuring the comfort of my dogs, I like to accessorize and can't have a big cage-y looking doggie contraption throwing my decor off.
*laugh*

So, for the like-minded, I bought my a crate bedding off Amazon.

$50 bucks.
Stands up well to washing. Fabric retains it's appearance well.

This was before PetSmart and Petco even started making their versions of things. $180.00...:rolleyes:
They're way over-priced, if you ask me... and I haven't even experienced them.
I don't have to, though.
I'm not against anyone spending that sort of money...but when you start heading into the $100 territory for pet items, it's time to consider a few things. If you pay that much from their items? You might as well buy from a shop that specializes in making the product.
http://www.cratecoversandmore.com/crates-and-crate-covers.html
http://www.callingalldogs.com/
http://www.pampermepuppy.com/

Yeah, it can be seen as a luxury. I wouldn't compare it to having a child though; :confused:.

Yes, children aren't cheap to take care of and some do use children as a means to fund their greed, but an animal is not on the level of a person. People do expect their children to grow and get their own, but they expect their pet to stay put. There's a difference! lol

The closest I've been to owning a pet was through my grandparents. They had a mutt, but it ran away.

As a single woman living alone I have 3 of GODS creations sent to protect me. Aldert is my first line of defense in my yard. His mother is a Gull Dong & his father is a Boer Boel & Aldert was a gift from my uncle. Broos is my second line of defense in my home. He is a pure bred Tosa Inu. Drika is my third and final line of defense before I resort to deadly weapons. Drika is a rare breed of Turkish Sheepdog & truly is my most prized possession & has been trained to never leave my side & will die for and if necessary with me. My uncles had me work with Drika since his birth. Drika is a special breed not well known because they are the only breed of dog that can attack a full grown grizzly bear & kill it in short order without incurring a scratch. These dogs were provided free by my uncles but they are rather costly to take care of but I love them because GOD watches over them.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back