Black Spirituality Religion : Is Okra a spiritually unsafe food?

okra_chicken.jpg

Chicken and Okra. Your mouth, she is watering yes?

As far as I know, I have no gastronomic nemesis - yes, that includes Bulls testicles (true story), I’m however ambivalent about okra; no matter how meltingly cooked, I can taste only soggy string. This ambivalence recently turned into distrust when a Nigerian male acquaintance told me that Okra opens up a person’s spirit making them easy to influence – negatively or positively, depending on the intentions of the person serving it up.

Can anyone confirm whether this is true? I know of its other effects but not this one.

Source:http://www.goodsexkeeping.com/june00/aphrodisiacs.htm

Alexandra
okra???yuk i wouldn't eat that stuff if it was served with hundred dollar bills it's nasty looking and taste worst,i'm getting sick just thinking about it.....yuk.

As stated, "Indeed, I will discuss the concept and okra from an ATR background in greater detail when I get more time."

Also we know what? Gumbo, one of my favorite dishes to cook, means "okra" in Kimbundu.

Tuhwi

Brother Blackbird,

Thank you for once again for setting time aside to impart ATR knowledge and I look forward to learning more about Okra.

The belief in immortality, (the soul's Survival after death) is a concept Akans do not repudiate. It is natural for the Akan to hold the concept because the belief in immortality has its very origin in the word the Akan uses for soul. The Akan terrn for soul, KRA or OKRA (meaning " goodbye ") reflects the origin of the concept. Leaving aside for the moment the Akan idea that the souls of new-born children are either emanations of ancestral souls or reincarnated former lives).

Source: The Akan Concept of the Soul, Sam K. Akesson, African Affairs, Vol. 64, No. 257 (Oct., 1965), pp. 280-291

Alexandra

Alexandra, are you only accepting ATR info on okra?

Well, it's mainly because Sis. A said a Nigerian told about the effects of okra on one's spirit.

So I thought it would be appropriate to put in context. I speaking with some elders on it now to get greater information. I will release it shortly.

Tuhwi

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back