Black People : Is My Supervisor Playing Favourites or am I being singled out?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by legit-writer, Jan 13, 2012.

1. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Okay me and another employee got hired the same day. I am a naturally nice person and I say hi to whoever speaks to me and if I know how to help a person I do so. I love my job and I know I am great at what I do and I was doing so by showing it. Yes, I may get chatty at times, (but who doesn't)? but I still do my job and very well. Okay, one time my supervisor has told me that she has seen me at the desk talking to another co-worker or something or another and then she made the comment: "Haven't you worked before"? Then time went on and the other employee who was hired the same day as me, my supervisor let her do some other work aside from her original job that she was hired to do (me and this other employee have the same type of job) and when I asked if I could do that, it was "no, here do this or do that" basically some insignificant type of stuff. Then she later came to me and said "I wasn't trying to be mean or trying to hold you back, but she (the other girl who was hired with me) has a leg up on you because of of her education status." And I told her that I understand that , but I know I can do more than what you're giving me and I am capable. And she said "You do know the term 'crawl before you walk' and then she even said that if someone comes to me for help, send them to someone else. She claims I talk a lot, when I see other employees talking way way more than I do and it is not even work related, yet she says nothing to them. And today, the girl who got hired with me, was in the supervisors office for like almost an hour while I was out there by myself doing the work. She comes out all smiles and I am not sure if this girl is the supervisor's 'pet' or what. I have two questions that I really need answers to today please. If you need additional information, let me know and I will provide it at the best of my ability.

1) According to what I have written, am I being singled out or is she playing favourites? Why or why not?

2) Should I sit down and have a talk with my supervisor about how I am feeling, and if so, how can I tell her without putting my job in jeopardy? Or should I just not bring it up at all and continue doing my job like I have been doing?

2. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    First off I've worked over 30 years in various jobs since age 10(starting as a store clerk with my uncle, then shipping, computer repair, hospital, banking, printing and various office environments). I'll give you the raw truth, just like I would if we worked together. I'm like you I speak to everybody, but people are people, so.........
    Jobs don't care about nice. Nice finishes last unfortunately. You're there to make money, not play nice. But nice is good, it helps not to be fired within your first year though lol. I like nice at the job, hate A-holes. Most management is trained to be A-holes. Yes I've been in management too, and refused to be an A-hole to my people.
    Which is why management didn't like me, I was too real.
    I'm just like you. I get my job done well, to the point where they've asked me to train people. But they don't care about doing your job well. You talk too much (as I've been told and like you it's NOT done at the detriment to my job performance). Which is amazing because I like to talk, get along. "They" want MORE work and less talk. Jobs only give you lunch because it's mandated by labor laws.

That should have been an eye opener for you.

BINGO! You've got your answer.

EYE OPENER. They don't care about EVERYBODY else. It's you you you. (remember this is raw truth, I'm on YOUR side here)

What does your heart, gut and intuition tell you about this. You probably have your answer already. LISTEN to yourself. Trust me.

You're not being singled out. Of course they're playing favorites. What we have to realize is JOBS don't CARE ABOUT YOU. You can work somewhere 50 years give your WHOLE life, and be shown the door like you were the worse employee EVER. Jobs need bodies. That all.
    LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE. IMO don't say a word. Just continue to work like you always have. Just be conscious of your overall performance. Cut down on the chit chat a little. Focus on being the best you can be, BETTER than before.

Even after all that they still won't care. But AT LEAST THEY CAN'T deny your performance.

ALL JOBS CONSIDER EMPLOYEES A NECESSARY EVIL. ALL EMPLOYEES ARE EXPENDABLE. You have to appreciate and take pride in your work, like you already do. Don't expect much more. Sad to say.

3. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    thanks for that. i will definitely think that over.

4. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I can't even add anything to this, you hit the nail on the head!!

5. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I asked one of my friends about it and they also said that its best that i don't say anything because no matter how nice or tactful I may be, they may get even by just firing me altogether. oh and also, in the past i know i have done more advanced things than she is only letting me do. i like to be challenged. if i can't be challenged, i will get bored and i can't grow. i can handle a challenge and it feels to me that she do not think I can or she treats me like i cannot. and i am not trying to play a race card but these are white people as well. also, i don't talk much, like I said earlier. If i am talking it is job related, but most of the time I see other employees talking about things that are not even job related and it's unfair that the supervisor tells me that if a patron asks me for help, to send them to someone else, when the original reason why they come to me in the first place is because I am right there and also because the 'someone elses' are not even at their desk or they too busy talking about irrelevant stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with work.

6. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    You sound like me, I like to be challenged too. But jobs/work is not about challenges, or boredom or growth. It about work and following the dictatorship that each job is. I had to learn the hard way. Hopefully you can modify your thought process and expectation here and make it easy on yourself.

Again I'm with you. I used to help anybody that needed help and still was able to perform my job function at a high level. I was told helping those people was not my job. I've seen the same thing and experienced the same thing. I see people talking, talking, talking about nothing. Then when someone asks me a work related question, I got accused of talking lol. You're helpful by nature and not an A-hole, but you're going to have to direct these people to the boss. If you get fired these people that were asking you question, won't be there to help you when you're fired. If you going to focus on who's talking and why they are talking, you're fighting a losing battle. Management knows what's going on, and they seem fine with it. If you want the job, you will do what they ask you, nothing more nothing less. It sounds cruel but it's real. Like I said I learned the hard way. That's why I hate jobs. Work/jobs are not there to make you comfortable. You would think they would, so as to get a better performance from employees, but that's not the case.

Be the bigger person here. Don't sweat those conversations. Yes it pissed me off to watch things go on the way they did. But jobs/work don't care what you think. You just do what you can do perform at a high level. If you're looking for challenges, no boredom and growth, you might have to do it elsewhere.

I feel you trust me, it sounds just like things that happened to me over my work history. They don't care what you did in the past. Maybe they saw you were growing and gaining. And they pulled you from that to keep you stagnant. So you DON'T grow. Jobs/work (not all) are based on redundancy and repetition. Hopefully you can pay your bills and live comfortable, because I the rest you desire you will have to do on your own.

7. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Try to work in places that have a union

If it is an office job then dont let it concern you just as long as you are not harassed, do not have your breaks and luch messed with or your check.

Everything and anything goes on in an office and is fair in an office, and that is how all offices cnonduct themselves! There is infighting, favorites, affairs, and scandals.

Best bet is to do ones job, mind one business go home , period, and after doing that for 5 days get ones pay. Every office has its politics and if one has problems with favoritism, then an office is not the place to be.

8. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Wow! i like the responses I read. I just want to share my feelings with what you said I guess from a personal note.

I think it was typical and up front what your supervisor said about the other employee having more education than you as the reason why that person got 'more attention', 'more job assignments', and 'more free time to chit chat', but I still think it is wrong no matter what companies do. I think that if a company hires you, they should allow to to have the opportunity to move up with in the company and not compare you to others with better education without at least offering you some kind of professional appreciation for you doing work. I don't think it is just favoritism but perhaps companies are so comfortable with 'the American Way' of treating employees and perhaps making them compete on the fob for promotions or etc. that they ignore 'humanity'. I feel that some companies are better than others on the basis that their management knows how to respect their employees better and offer better ways of showing their appreciation. Just because a person may not have better education or credentials doesn't mean that an employee should be so freely to overlook them in other job capacities. I don't know what kind of job or company you work for but I think the nature of the job dictates how you should deal with the matter.

If you could do something 'on the outside' meaning getting extra training then you could make you job environment more better, compete for more job functions in this way, or you could just look to get another job after getting specialty training. I don't think your supervisor is showing good management practice at all, but you should not let that get to you at all. As far as being told you talk too much and then you observing others not being addressed who you feel talk much, I think you know exactly what you see and your instincts are probably right on the matter. When the supervisor regards your skills as being 'lesser' than others, it may cause her/him to practice favoritism at unawares and that is unfair to you, but you know you are a great person with a great attitude and therefore, don't ever allow someone else downfalls to cause you to believe any less of yourself. You are certainly the winner for having the guts to admit to yourself exactly what you see going on and hopefully, that will inspire you to look for positive ways to keep enjoying your job and etc.

I believe as humans we are all capable of being trained for certain things but it is the process of gaining knowledge and certain skills that we must recognize that can be an opportunity or an obstacle and we just need to know how to deal with these issues. Some times people don't want us to gain certain skills and sometimes there are those who help to provide us with that opportunity and helps us to acquire a better quality of life.

edit; oh yes, about the singled out issue; sometimes i witnessed how some supervisors try to make a person uncomfortable on a job to try and make them quit but again, I think it would be bad management, because if they hired you and you are doing a good job then, you have to be wise on how to go about dealing with that issue if you sense that this might be the case. do some homework and see how the company goes about hiring, and see if they have a high turn over and it could give you an idea if you are being singled out or if the suprevisor just lacks tact.

9. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    great response chevron, and to answer your question, i work for a public library and I wonder what exactly is a turnover?

10. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    If it's a library they expect people to be quiet