Science and Technology : Is My Computer Dying?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by river, Aug 23, 2007.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I've had this computer for going on four and a half years. It keeps rebooting itself for no apparent reason. Considering how much ram I have and my high speed connection it runs very slow. I almost always get the hourglass when I click on a program and sometimes the start menu freezes for a long time when I try to open something.

Does it sound like I need to buy a new computer?

2. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    no you don't need a new computer

you have a software glitch

and/or a virus

someone needs to clean your machine

and check the integrity of your registry

and also check the integrity of your startup folder

i fix machines

i wish i could help you

my prices are low (you know for the people) lol

i use this thing called ccleaner

see if you can download it pcworld.com or cnet.com

but i don't think you need a new computer after 4 years of use

worst come to worst

you may just need to re-install your operating system

and that should and will fix all your problem

but whoever does that needs to know what they're doing

3. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Gee Street,

I wish ypu were here to help to. We got one computer repair store in town. This computer I'm on now is the one I had to buy as a result of letting them "fix" the one I had five years ago.

Oh well, I will check out ocleaner and hopefully worst will not come to worst.

Thanks

4. Da Street So'ja

Ratings:
    +42
  5. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    nah; don't need to buy a new one, just clean the one you have.

i hope ccleaner does some good for you (i'd advise against the optional toolbar - as i would against any toolbars); that description seems to indicate that it gets rid of lots more stuff than just using the disk clean utility on the system tools menu.

"rebooting for no reason" sounds pretty bad; think it would be good to try to get the puter started/running with a very minimal set of drivers and/or in safe mode and do lots of scanning: adaware, spybot s&d, spywareblaster, and an antivirus program (i prefer AVG). if you've been running a nortons/symantec/macafee/whatever_it_is and are in this state anyway, i'd have to question the value of said offerings. (but it might be as hard to clean them out as it can be to clean up the messes that sometimes slips by them.)

but if ya just gotta throw it out and buy a new one; holla and i'll see if i can come up with shipping costs! <grin!>

Good Luck to ya!
    me

ps; thanks for the card - flash doesn't seem to be working very well in linux so haven't seen it.

pps: i'm not sure that i have a puter that is younger than 5 years ...

6. Da Street So'ja

Ratings:
    +42
    um

ccleaner doesn't offer a toolbar

and i'm against toolbars

unless you really are looking for what they offer

i use google toolbar for pop ups and then i make it non-active so it doesn't tie

up my system resources

7. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    I had a system back in the day that did things like that. I went into my temp internet folder and deleted everything there. I know that's something most people who frequent the net don't do. Overtime, there are tons of files in there just taking up space. Most cleaners do that for you, and delete those crazy 0 kb files. It does sound like adware and a few bots running around on your system too.

These days I cut the corners and just do a fresh OS install, since all my data is backedup on an external drive anyway. Or I'd just rip the brain out (Hard drive) and put in a new one and see how that runs. If a new hard drive gives the same problem, these issues are in the motherboard..which might be unlikely.

8. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    I've had this PC going on 6 years.. I've built (by trial and error) up so many things into it, the tower no longer fits over all the..*stuff* sticking out of it :)

My PC rebooting itself was the first thing that went wrong with my PC when it reached a certain age. I tried all sorts of virus scans, PC clean-ups etc - until I bowed to the hardware experts - I am fortunate to have a number of PC hardware experts at my disposal (employees :) ).. and the first thing they ALL recommended was to get a new power supply. I did - real cheap - and the self rebooting issue was solved.

as far as speeding it up, definitely clear up your hard drive and scan regularily for bugs/spyware...

eta - I should add that my PC started rebooting by itself at an increasing rate.. once in awhile became once every sitting (of a few hours) to twice every sitting.. to a point where it seemed I spent more time rebooting that actively cruising the net...

9. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745

Note: CCleaner includes an optional Yahoo toolbar that you may choose to install along with the program. Installing this toolbar may trigger alerts from some spyware programs. CCleaner's makers assert that CCleaner is spyware-free.

pretty much anything that will keep content on your puter updated is a potential threat. it's not so much that the companies don't believe in "Do No Evil", but that these "browser helper objects"/toolbars do provide an open pipe into your puter that someone of a more malicious bent might use for, possibly, nefarious purposes.

most browsers have pop-up blockers built in; why add anyone else's?

and about those search-your-puter toolbars? or those services that target advertising based on what is in your messages or on your puter? those are all vectors for the mess that could be causing the issue here and others.

10. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    Which reminds me; after a bunch of years, puters and power supplies build up an awful lot of dust. and at heavy enough concentrations, dust is conductive. now, me; i'd take the power supply out and open it to clean it out. but a vacuum cleaner might stir enough loose to clean out some of it.

also, over time, chips creep: had a lady drive over 50 miles one way to pick me up for a puter problem. fired it up, saw the problem, shut it down, opened it up, looked around, pushed down on a couple of the socketed chips (and actually heard them seat), closed the puter up and it was fine. she didn't believe me, but i didn't even pull out any floppies or CDs.

but, i wouldn't be surprised to find that "dust bunnies" are among the top "bugs" that puters get!!