Law Forum : Is "Life" a fair sentence for the crime of Murder?

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
I was watching this sentencing video.. where these two women were sentenced to life in prison for, according to someone in the comments thread, murdering a child for peeing on the floor. They were given a life sentence.. but I wondered.. is that fair?... considering the fact that the victim is dead? What do you think?

Of course, it depends on the circumstances surrounding the deaths...however, my first thoughts are YES. To intentionally take a child's life, for any reason, you should forfeit yours. Again, I say that with the understanding that INTENT plays a big role under the law. If the child was struck in some way that caused his/her death by some freaky circumstances, maybe not. If the child was pushed, then fell and struck his/her head on something else...which caused his/her death, maybe not. basically, if it wasn't the intent of the person to take the life of the other, then, maybe not.

CIRCUMSTANCES and INTENT dictates a lot.

this video doesn't share any of that.

CIRCUMSTANCES and INTENT dictates a lot.

this video doesn't share any of that.

It's in the description of the video.

Parts of the description:

Two women collapsed in court Thursday morning after receiving life sentences for the death of a 3-year-old girl. Shanita Latrice Cunningham and Erica Mae Butts were sentenced Thursday morning for the death of Serenity Richardson.

"They beat her repeatedly both with a belt and with plastic coat hangers. You can see the outlines of the strikes on this child's body. There is not one area of this child's body that was unharmed except for the soles of her feet."

Serenity was visiting Butts, her godmother and her mother's best friend, and Cunningham, who was Butts's lover, for two weeks at their home in Summerville, South Carolina when the abuse took place,

Serenity's mother, Ieshia Richardson, lives in Detroit.
"The explanation they gave (for the beatings) was that Serenity had a potty accident,"...... "Their explanation is 'we didn't know what we did would kill her.'"

It's in the description of the video.

Parts of the description:

Two women collapsed in court Thursday morning after receiving life sentences for the death of a 3-year-old girl. Shanita Latrice Cunningham and Erica Mae Butts were sentenced Thursday morning for the death of Serenity Richardson.

"They beat her repeatedly both with a belt and with plastic coat hangers. You can see the outlines of the strikes on this child's body. There is not one area of this child's body that was unharmed except for the soles of her feet."

Serenity was visiting Butts, her godmother and her mother's best friend, and Cunningham, who was Butts's lover, for two weeks at their home in Summerville, South Carolina when the abuse took place,

Serenity's mother, Ieshia Richardson, lives in Detroit.
"The explanation they gave (for the beatings) was that Serenity had a potty accident,"...... "Their explanation is 'we didn't know what we did would kill her.'"

yeah but..

generally speaking.. is "Life" a fair sentence for the crime of Murder? In your opinion..

yeah but..

generally speaking.. is "Life" a fair sentence for the crime of Murder? In your opinion..

I was trying to sort of stay out of the discussion, only posting so that the details were clear for others. But okay.

Is it fair? Maybe as fair as mankind can get without having blood on their own hands. I know there's the belief, a life for a life, but I don't believe anyone will be without justice, at the end.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back