Law Forum : Is "Life" a fair sentence for the crime of Murder?

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by skuderjaymes, Oct 28, 2013.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I was watching this sentencing video.. where these two women were sentenced to life in prison for, according to someone in the comments thread, murdering a child for peeing on the floor. They were given a life sentence.. but I wondered.. is that fair?... considering the fact that the victim is dead? What do you think?

2. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    Of course, it depends on the circumstances surrounding the deaths...however, my first thoughts are YES. To intentionally take a child's life, for any reason, you should forfeit yours. Again, I say that with the understanding that INTENT plays a big role under the law. If the child was struck in some way that caused his/her death by some freaky circumstances, maybe not. If the child was pushed, then fell and struck his/her head on something else...which caused his/her death, maybe not. basically, if it wasn't the intent of the person to take the life of the other, then, maybe not.

CIRCUMSTANCES and INTENT dictates a lot.

this video doesn't share any of that.

3. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,318

It's in the description of the video.

Parts of the description:

Two women collapsed in court Thursday morning after receiving life sentences for the death of a 3-year-old girl. Shanita Latrice Cunningham and Erica Mae Butts were sentenced Thursday morning for the death of Serenity Richardson.

"They beat her repeatedly both with a belt and with plastic coat hangers. You can see the outlines of the strikes on this child's body. There is not one area of this child's body that was unharmed except for the soles of her feet."

Serenity was visiting Butts, her godmother and her mother's best friend, and Cunningham, who was Butts's lover, for two weeks at their home in Summerville, South Carolina when the abuse took place,

Serenity's mother, Ieshia Richardson, lives in Detroit.
    "The explanation they gave (for the beatings) was that Serenity had a potty accident,"...... "Their explanation is 'we didn't know what we did would kill her.'"

4. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043

yeah but..

generally speaking.. is "Life" a fair sentence for the crime of Murder? In your opinion..

5. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,318

I was trying to sort of stay out of the discussion, only posting so that the details were clear for others. But okay.

Is it fair? Maybe as fair as mankind can get without having blood on their own hands. I know there's the belief, a life for a life, but I don't believe anyone will be without justice, at the end.

6. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    Given all that has been said, I'd say these two definitely deserve a life sentence...if not death. even if their intent wasn't to kill the child, they showed total disregard for the life of the child. A CHILD. do you know how much trauma a child would have to go through before the body shuts down. to have been beaten that severely takes a considerable amount of time. if they had any moral fiber, they would have considered her state of being...her health...her life. obviously, they didn't. but PSYCHOPATH/SOCIOPATHS cannot relate to the pains of others.

so, life versus death.

7. Gracious

Gracious Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +232

I hear you Angela22,

And I'm kinda' betwixt & between on this because ... we all know that it is "sick" to take the life of the innocent (even worse the life of a child). But for me - right now ... the focus is also on the "sickness" of the perpetrator too. YES!!! ... no two ways about it, some people are just plain EVIL & NEED to be severely contained (physically) & controlled as long as they live!!!

Yet, perhaps there are some that have "treatable" emotional issues & can be rehabilitated. Incarcerating a person for life (usually 20-30 yrs or more), in "some" extreme cases, may not be the best moral alternative, especially IF that person - that human-being "can" be rehabilitated!

And THEN ...

There's the BILLION dolla' Prison Cartel ... here in the USA ... which brings up a whole-nutha' set of sickness issues!

8. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    I think an eye for an eye is fitting but in the meaning of not necessarily literally but instead in the sense that the punishment of the crime cannot be any worse than that which was committed.
    That being said, I think you would need to consider the potential, impact that this child would have had on the world and loved ones had her life not been cut way short by these two women.
    So in a way I see their lives being taken from them fitting meaning life in prison away from people who act/ think right.
    But I would like to add that I don't believe they meant to take her life, but used extremely horrible bad judgment and fatal discipline. All can't be lost though, I feel.
    Perhaps they can be rehabilitated while behind bars, reprogrammed to be better people and mandated to pay restitution to the family.
    Anyway you cut this. ... it's a mad mad world

9. Gracious

Gracious Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +232
    Amen Josef ... Amen!!!

I know you are right! And cannot disagree with one word you've said!

But in my heart, I remember famous human-rights icons & average Joe's ... who've undergone a REAL heart change while "locked-down" - through a miracle of God have been released & changed this world for the better! In my heart, I've learned that even today these kinds of people exist.

But ... for those left to rot "in" the "hell-whole" ... how should we feel about this "Prison Cartel System" ... this "legal" never-ending slavery session? Especially, when it comes to the rehabilitateable? .... Uhhh is that even a word?

10. Mochalovekisses

Mochalovekisses Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +108
    To me i think justice is served. Its a cruel and very harsh punishment but i feel the punishment fits the crime. Its was cruel and harsh that, that baby had to die for peeing on the floor. That pisses me off and they deserve it in my opinion. Babies are a precious blessing from GOD and should be cherished and cared for at all times.