Black Spirituality Religion : Is Kwanzaa a religion?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by toylin, Sep 12, 2004.

1. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    hey family.. I came across a websit by someone names Carlotta Morrow discussing the "dangers" of celebrating Kwanzaa. Here is an expert:

"There are several dangers that present themselves when the Christian attempts to combine their "religion" of Christianity with that of the "religion" of Kwanzaa. 1) They take upon the assumption that the Bible is not enough to spiritually feed us a a people... 2) That we MUST define ourselves in the context of culture 3) Unity is possible without Christ, by simply uniting with those of the same color, i.e. culture.

It is not wrong to celebrate "culture". But when culture begins claiming to do for the human being the same as God claims to do for us, then culture ceases being culture and thus becomes a religion."

Here's the whole article/website:

http://www.christocentric.com/Kwanzaa/religion.htm

So, after reading that, we do you all think? Should we celebrate Kwanzaa? There is also an article by a guestwriter that says Kwanzaa is for pagans....

Any thoughts?

An

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820

Sister Toylin,

Kwanzaa should be respected for the principles it teaches. These are principles I believe Black people should be internalizing and practicing. Anyone who feels threaten by what Kwanzaa stands for should really check themselves. Umoja - Unity, Kujichagulia - Self-Determination, Ujima - Collective Works and Responsibility, Ujamaa - Cooperative Economics, Nia - Purpose, Kuumba - Creativity and Imani - Faith. Is there anything inherently evil in this? I wish many Christians, as well as, non-Christians could live by these principles. Essentially, they, the Nguzo Saba, represent the building blocks, foundation, for a strong family and nation.

Blackbird

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Sister Toylin,

I believe that most religions are threatened by anything that encroaches on their territory, what they've presented as the one and only truth ... and therefore, will label that trespasser as ungodly, or whatever term that will turn folk away from it.

Notice how most of the religions (believers in them) fuss and fight with each other, over who has the "truth." We have hundreds of examples of that in this forum alone.

I don't believe this is any different, someone feeling like their religion might lose some ground, by the mere presence of another way to think and live.

Kinda sad in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing Sister.

:heart:

Destee

4. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    I agree, Sister Mother.

How did I find this website, some may ask. I actually did a search, looking for other information. I believe I searched AOL by typing in the words "Black" "truth" "religion". This is one of many sites that popped up. The writers allege that since it is encouraged to practice Kwanzaa all year round, it must be a religion, or at the very least, some sort of pagan holiday.

Nonsense. Considering DEc. 25 used to be some sort of pagan holiday, and that Easter seems to coincide with a harvesting celebration....? Nothing surprises me anymore.

Do i agree with the authors of the site? Hey, if whatever you practice makes you a better person.. go for it!

5. ANGELIC SOUL

ANGELIC SOUL Well-Known Member MEMBER

I gotta a job while I chase my dream
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think that knowing one's heritage and background can be an uplifting experience. We as a people need to try positive ways to reconnect with the true essence of ourselves, our people, our ancestors. I do not think that any one religion that is not culturally based can give us all of what we need as a people. Which is why in my opinion we are so displaced in this white westernized society!

I agree 100% with BlackBird, It is a wonderful idea to learn these very basic but rich principles. Whether one is Christian or Pagan!

Ashe!

Bastet

6. GP

GP Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Great Thread!We celebrate Both at my house during the Holidays.