Pan-Africanism : Is it time to re-visit (rethink) Marcus Garvey's back to Africa movement?

Pan-Africa,

You have said something very interesting. You wrote:

After the Civil War slavery was declared illegal (13th amendment), blacks were granted citizenship in the 1866 Civil Rights Act, which was reinforced along with voting rights in (14th & 15th amendments). The Civil Rights Act of 1873 made racial discrimination in public places illegal. For a very brief period blacks in America used their new found freedom to vote, run for political offices (many of the 1st black congressmen like Hiram Revels came from this period), and to educate themselves (the 1st Black Colleges were built during this time). This golden age started to crumble in the late 1880's when a white backlash arose to criticize black advancement at the expense of whites.

You also said:

Events of the past 20 years seems so similar to those of 100 years past that it isn't even funny.

Here is my point, to add to what you have said:

The next thing that happenned in America after reconstruction and the golden years after slavery was whites began GOING TO WAR against Black Americans.

The begining of the 1900's to about 1920 were the FIRST YEARS that the LYNCHING of BLACKS outnumbered the lynching of whites.

Whites would also attack black towns, black soldiers, black churches were burned down. Terrible laws were enacted or enforced to harm Black People.

Blacks in BLACK TOWNS would have to watch daily to make sure they were off the streets by a certain time because whites would come nightly to attack any blacks caught outside.

All the gains we had made were erased. We barely had our freedom and that only technically.

Hmmmm..........Will all of history repeat itself or just part of it? Interesting also that the book Backlash about the women's rights movement also found a similar pattern of "one step forward, two steps back".

Queen,

Purely coincidently. My post to Pan-Africa kind of answers your questions about whether it will be voluntarily or not. However:

1. Okay. Some people ask about the 50 countries as if having choice is a bad thing suddenly when it comes to Africa and African Americans returning there, everywhere else choice is a good thing. Smile.

2. I do not think it will be voluntarily for many African Americans. [see post above to Pan-Africa]

3. Yes, America will be completely destroyed. According to the Bible and Conventional Wisdom.

Wow! This post has been around for a long time without any responses, now suddenly it is buzzing with movement. In fact it has been sitting for so long without a response, that I actually forgot about it. I had to re-read what I originally said in order to respond intelligiently to what everyone wrote.......lol!

Now please be aware that when I talk about emmigration I am not just speaking of Africa (which would be an ideal location). I am talking about Europe, Asia, Canada, anyplace where new opportunities exist for black people (African Americans in particular). And I strongly believe that there are opportunities for us in other countries.

To respond to Crunchy's comment. You are right in your observation that whites resorted to terrorist tactics (KKK the original terrorist organization before Osama's grandmother was a twinkle in her great-grandmother's eye) against blacks after the civil war. The Ku Klux Klan's attacks to prevent blacks from voting and exercising their civil rights played a bigger role than pole taxes, grandfather clauses, and literacy test combined. Therefore, we definately need to be watchful in these coming days.

By the way the original Women's Rights Movement in the 1850s was borne out of the Abolitionist Movement (Frederick Douglass was a signer of the Declaration of Sentiments, which was the female declaration of independents); and the Women's Rights Movement of the 1960s came out of the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s. So you would see similarities.

This is something that I wrote regarding my thoughts on "Repatriation" (returning to your land of origin)...

While I was thinking about how much contempt I have for amerikkka, it occured to me that maybe I should talk about my views on repatriation. Sometimes you see or hear racists tell an African (who is unconscious that they are an African and live in amerikkka) who is addressing any contradictions in amerikkka, "Well why dont you just go back to Africa, then?" When I was an unconscious African, that was like my greatest fear. So now when I hear a racist make that statement, I laugh when I see the awkward look pop up on the Africans face. Sometimes their rebutal arguments for staying in amerikkka reveals the level of their own "self-hatred" (unintentionally). But basically, I laugh because I know where they are (because I was there). People have these subliminal images of Africa...that Africa is ONLY a Jungle. That the people in Africa live in the trees or in a mud hut and that EVERYBODY is starving. That EVERYBODY in Africa has aids or malaria and etc. I know the United Snakkkes propaganda machine well. I know that in the back of MANY people's minds is "THAT" image. You know, that image of that little bloated dirty baby with flies all over his face. I know that Africa isnt heaven, but it **** sure isnt the hell they portray it to be either. Africa is a poverty stricken nation (not a "poor" nation...Africa is WEALTHY in natural resources) but it has areas that are economically strong.

I think repatriation is a beautiful idea. I would like to travel around Africa for awhile. I have never been back home yet. I dont know what part I would like to stay in but I am leaning heavily toward Tanzania due to the influence of my Swahili teacher (by theb way, where would you all live?). At first I was leaning heavily towards Libya because it is the only "revolutionary" state in Africa. Regardless of where I live in Africa, I would try to travel all over Africa constantly. In amerikkka, Africans are a minority. About 13% of the population. I often think about how I would feel being in a country that is a majority African! I think about the culture, the foods, the music, the cities, the bush (jungle areas) and the people. I think about the night life (in case you didn't know, Africans have clubs and bars and all that stuff too) and what I would do for fun. What I would do for employment. I think about all kinds of off beat stuff...stuff like what it would be like to go to the market in Africa, or what it would be like to be walking down the street drinking a soda in Africa (well...I used to think this, but i heard it is impolite to eat or drink in public in Africa) or what it would be like just sitting at home watching the news in Africa, LOL!

I have not repatriated for just a few reasons. I am in school at the moment. If I go back to Africa, I would like to take some of the skills I aquire here and utilize them toward Africa's development. I also havent left because I dont want to fool myself into thinking repatriation is the solution to my problems with amerikkka. The imperialists have got Africa in a Neo-Colonial choke hold, whether I live in Africa or amerikkka. Also (and probably the most important reason why), I haven't left yet because in order for amerikkka to wear the "mask" of democracy, she gives her citizens a degree of "free speech" that many countries do not have. There are things I can say in amerikkka that Africans cannot say in Africa without taking some serious risks. It is because my comrades back home cannot say what they need to say, I stay in amerikkka and say it for them. I dont just say it, I YELL it. I SCREAM it. I SCREAM it so loud, I want my comrades back home in Africa to hear me YELLING it all the way from amerikkka! (Just like Bob Marely made the whole world listen to Africa, while being in Jamaica) I want the WHOLE WORLD to hear what Africa got to say.

Besides that, I am always dreaming of my home. My homeland. My motherland. Africa. It is my dream to "go back to Africa"...to leave this country and to never ever return again. Hopefully, one day, this dream will come true.

I would choose Botswana. It only has 1.5 million citizens and seems to be a place where a few of our people could settle without there being a lot of conflict about African Americans "taking stuff" from the locals. As has been the conflict where large amounts of African Americans have settled already [Ghana, South Africa and even from old times Liberia and Sierra Leone].

Pan Africa, Thank you.

Great post Rebel Africa.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back