Pan-Africanism : Is it time to re-visit (rethink) Marcus Garvey's back to Africa movement?

panafrica

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
With Affirmative Action becoming a dying institution, and Minority Scholarships appearing to be coming to an end. I am beginning to wonder if The 1970's, 80's, and 90's were the "Reconstruction Era" of the 20th century? For those who are unfamiliar with 'Reconstruction' that was the name of the era right after the Civil War (1865) to the 1890s.

After the Civil War slavery was declared illegal (13th amendment), blacks were granted citizenship in the 1866 Civil Rights Act, which was reinforced along with voting rights in (14th & 15th amendments). The Civil Rights Act of 1873 made racial discrimination in public places illegal. For a very brief period blacks in America used their new found freedom to vote, run for political offices (many of the 1st black congressmen like Hiram Revels came from this period), and to educate themselves (the 1st Black Colleges were built during this time). This golden age started to crumble in the late 1880's when a white backlash arose to criticize black advancement at the expense of whites. The slaughterhouse cases of the 1880s determined that citizenship for blacks only ensured their right to move freely from state to state. The Civil Rights Act of 1873 was struck down, and racial hostilities became so extremely that the 1896 Plessy v. Ferguson decision (which made racial segregation legal) was easily passed in the Supreme Court.

Events of the past 20 years seems so similar to those of 100 years past that it isn't even funny. Since the Regan administration there has been an increasing outcry of "perceived" black advancement at the expense of whites. Other wise known as Reverse Discrimination, whites are using this belief to attack (successfully I might add) Affirmative Action, Minority Scholarships, and even the neccessity of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. There are even debates, and rumors of re-segregating schools in the South. These hostilities have led to an increasing amount of "accepted" racism in American society. African-Americans regardless of education are having an increasingly hard time getting jobs, particularly now that the economy is in shambles. This situation will not improve in the forseeable future as Bush (who more than likely will get re-elected to a 2nd term) is content to constant focus on War. That his only domestic attention has been on the University of Michigan's Affirmative Action policy speaks volumes. I openly wonder if it is worth it for people of African descent to remain in this country?

Almost 100 years ago Marcus Garvey asked this very question to a black America which was not ready to hear him. Mr. Garvey felt that racism in America was ingrained in the culture and that the country would never allow blacks as a whole to be prosperous. I think the strategical break down of Affirmative Action after only 20+ years is proof of this. These laws were created to counteract the effect that almost 300 years of slavery & 100 years of apartheid had on the social-economic status of African Americans. That politicians are willing to erase these laws after only 30 years (with the majority of African-Americans still poor, and under educated) of existance shows that America has no interest in improving the black condition. However, we as a people do not need to continue to depend on the "kindness" of whites. There is a solution to our problem: emmigration (moving to another country) .African Americans are one of the only groups in the world that refuse to emmigrate to other countries in order to improve their social-economic condition (hispanics are currently doing this by the millions, and europeans also did so by the millions in the 19th & 20th century). Why do we not do the same? Why not go back to Africa? the time is now.

Absolutely

If you are doing nothing here, then certainly Africa does not need you there. But if you are willing to bring your education, your desire to make Africa (the richest continent on the planet) the homeland for all Africans, your heart and soul, if you would make it home. Then come. Did you ever ask yourself why the countries of Africa are so unstable, why wars are never ending, do you know the facts about the Congo, South Africa, The Ivory Coast. Do you realize that there are more minerals on the continent of Africa that anywhere else. Do you know that the climate of Africa allows for the growth of almost any food, and the people are starving. Do you know who owns the diamond and gold mines in Africa. Do you think the land held by white slave masters should be returned to the rightful African owners. Do you have a love for Africa. Do you know how much foreign (US) aid is sent to the continent of Africa in comparision to the country of Israel. Did you see an airlift of civilians during apartheid to free the people from oppression. Do you know why Africa is not industrialized in 2003.
Do you know that Africa is considered so under control that the focus in on the Middle East. Did you know that the master plan is to give the whole middle east to Israel. These are African People.
Do you know that those who are masterminding the master plan
hope to meet somewhere in the middle of Africa with the conquering heroes behind them. If you are educated and want to
see Africa be all that, get together people and show some love.

BLESSED LOVE MY PEOPLE

I totally agree with every thing,GARVEY is talking about UNIVERSAL NEGRO IMPROVEMENT.
Improving our lives where ever we may be on the planet, as the white man where ever he cause "he is king" cause he worked(in weekedness) to be at this position.
But for us now we are KINGS AND QUEENS BY NATURE, BUT WE HAVE BEEN ROBED OF OUR TITLE, OUR HERITAGE, OUR LAND, OUR FATHERS,MATHERS,BROTHERS,SISTERS,HUSBANDS,WIVES AND CHILDREN
WE as a people have been scatered around the globe to day.
But trust me IF HE WASN'T BECAUSE OF GARVEY, AFRICA WOULD HAVE STILL BE DEPENDANT OF THE EUROPEANS IN THIS TIME, LIKE THEY WOULD HAVE NEVER TAKE THEIR INDEPENDANCE
It is when KWAME NKRUMA studied in europe and america, he met GARVEY and his mind changed completely that anablle him to come back to his country and change things there
GHANA ex GOLD COAST became independant( dont have the exact date), but what i know is that Africans of the diaspora leed the way to the liberation of AFRICA .(we still have a long way to go)
Like when FELA KUTI( revolutionary singer of NIGERIA ) MET THE BLACK PANTERS, HE CAME BACK IN HIS COUNTRY WITH AN OTHER VISION, HE WAS MORE RADICAL.
ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT WE OUT HERE, CAN MAKE THINGS CHANGE CAUSE WE ARE LIVING WITH THE ENNEMY, WE KNOW HIM, MORE THAN THOSE OUT THERE.
SO WE SHOULD START TO REFUSE CERTAINS THINGS LIKE:
- EATING THEIR FOOD ( PORC, MACDONALDS, BEEF, CHICKEN .........................)
- TRY TO LOOK LIKE THEM, BLEACH OUR SKIN, RELAX OUR HAIR,SHAVE OUR HAIR, WERE FALSE HAIR, FALSE NAILS AND SO ON
- WE SHOULD DRESS UP DESCENTELLY(IT'S NOT ABOUT FASHION OR BLABLABLA)
- TALK PROPELLY WITHOUT THE F***** THIS F**** THAT
- SHOW MORE LOVE AND RESPECT TO EACH OVER
- STOP PRAYING THEIR GOD JESUS THE WHITE MAN, AND PRAY NEGUS THE BLACK MAN, KING OF THE ISRAELITS
BROTHERS AND SISTERS IT IS ONLY US WHO CAN CHANGE OUR LIVES BY FAITH LOVE AND UNITY

MORE LOVE

panafrica

Yes, I think we must start thinking about emigrating back to Africa. Of course, you will run into a lot of resistance from a large group of Africans in America for even bringing that thought up in conversation.

But, we also need to think beyond that. We need to think about nation building. As liviti has stated, why should we go back to our soil to do nothing but what we've done here? Hence, as I think RISUPNOW is saying, we have to develop a new philosophy...a new school of thought...a way of living that perpetuates the good in us and not the bad or negative. As Destee has said many times, we must focus on the group, but think about improving self...and it starts with LOVE; another point RISUPNOW mentioned.

Before we set foot on our soil, we must have a plan of action which includes every facet of our society...where no one goes unthought of. This plan of action should stem from a vision so clear...a dream so vivid that no African--no matter where she or he may be--can resist its calling. And this can be, if this vision has as its foundation firmly planted in the will of OUR GOD...the CREATOR.

I believe in our people.

I know we can do it.

Monetary,

Black People will be moving back to Africa. The Bible says that. Most people do not know that the Bible teaches the same thing about the Egyptians and Ethiopians that it teaches about the Jews.

1. Egyptians and Ethiopians would be taken out of their land as slaves and sent to all countries in the world.

2. Egyptians and Ethiopians will one day be brought back into their land by God.

3. Egyptians [by extension the Ethiopians also, the same way that we know that House of Judah and House of Israel also go together in the Bible, even when one is not mentioned] are the only other Ethnic group in the Bible also called "My People".

It is only racism and the fact that this interferes with their bible theology that says "the Egyptians are always bad", that NO bible teachers focus on the fact that the Egyptian storyline in the Bible follows the same story line as the Jews.

According to that story line. Black People around the world MUST be returned to their lands.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back