Black People Politics : Is it time to end Affirmative Action?

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Knowledge Seed, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
  2. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    Affirmative action is the biggest insult to black intelligence. Afro-Americans are treated like people with special needs.

3. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Did you watch the video?

4. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

Your statements show that you have bought into the white man's derogatory definition of the term Perhaps you should look up and listen to Kings definition, in his own words

5. Fieldpea

Fieldpea Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +778

I like this VERY much! Wow. FIRE-breather!!! Dude went to thrashing them, didn't he?

I had never heard of this gentleman before, so *much thanks* to the OP. Once I got over my initial feelings of basic surprise, I wound up with strong feelings of respect for this man for throwing down in FIERCE defense of Affirmative Action. Surprised that I'd see and hear such from a white person.

I truly appreciate how he broadened the argument *beyond* strictly educational. As he points out, he was within the rules of the debate question, thus his interpretation/response to the question was valid and acceptable. In doing so, he was thereby free to *make the real tie-ins* between the history, purpose and effect of Affirmative Action and access into the remaining institutions of this society. Outstanding effort.

I can only hope that should Affirmative Action ever go before the Supreme Court again, that this video is included as part of a *friend of the court* brief.

Good stuff!

One Love, and PEACE

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Needless to say, Tim Wise is not well liked or supported by those that look like him. I've attended several programs where he is the speaker and he carries a big stick. Even the white men who think of themselves as an "ally" of Black people, as liberals, shift around in their chairs when listening to Tim.

He tours college campuses quite frequently around the country to deliver his message, mostly invited by multicultural program offices, which should come as no surprise to anyone. Unfortunately, again not surprising, the audiences that he typically stands in front of are the "choir."

Glenn Singleton (a brother) is another messenger that joins Tim in addressing issues around race, racism and racists. Sometimes they appear on the same panel. Both of these men are well published and worth listening to.

7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Is it time to end affirmative action?

I thought it already ended, for the most part and morphed into gender equality and the human rights campaign for gay rights.

Why beat a dead horse?

Affirmative action programs under the banner of EOP initiated Special Action, High Potential, Ethnic studies programs, African studies, Graduate Advancement, AAP, Academic Supports, etc and up until the mid 80s proved instrumental in closing the education gap most specifically at the college/university level, and this lead to increased diversity in the workplace.

8. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    End Affirmative Action?
    Yea, the day after racism is eliminated.

9. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Actually, that statement is the biggest insult.

'jus sayin.

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Very true, Bro. O...these programs were instrumental in diversifying many predominantly white college campuses in their student and faculty populations back in the 1970s and 80s. More Black students were recruited and admitted both, at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The number of Black faculty were also recruited and hired, but for both Black students and Black faculty, their retention rates continues to be a big issue as data show that fewer Black students graduate and fewer Black professors receive tenure at these institutions.

Today, affirmative action is confined pretty much to hiring or employment. Statistical data based on racial/gender demographics locally and nationally is used to calculate whether "minorities" and women are underutilized in a particular job group and whenever there is a hiring opportunity, the institution must look at the data and is expected to aggressively recruit qualified minorities and women to apply. There's also an expectation that objective and job-related criteria is used to screen applicants and give reasons to explain the absence of "protected" groups in the applicant pool or why none were interviewed if there are some in the pool.