Black Women : Is it still worth having children?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Glorious Star, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Glorious Star

Glorious Star Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I have been wondering lately if it is still worth having children in this dying world. I mean there might be a third world war coming up where we will all be part of and the question is, is such a world a good place for chhildren? And what about the discriminatationn the child might suffer on? And did you know that 60 % of all girls has at least 1 experience of sexual abuse or such (rape)? I would like people's opinion on this one....:( :(

2. Glorious Star

Ratings:
    +2
    weel, I got that info from statistics at school, and what even more shocking is that every female person in my life has experienced suh a thing. And it variates from rape to beeing kissed or touched without you wanting it it happend, believe me. Maybe statistics said 30 % about 50 years ago when it was still taboo to talk about such things out in the open. But now as you must know things are diffrent both girls, and grown women are coming forward with there experiences. And that is not even all there are worst things in life a newborn child eventually will have to deal with...

3. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a cruel world and it is not an easy one. I am all for 2 responsible adults having kids. The problem ascribe from the so called parents who let their children run around out of control. I have a 12 year old cousin who is boy crazy. She is already wearing little skirts, it does not help that her mother (recently divorced) is wearing them too. I brought her a book, Jubilee, to read for her to see the real struggles of a sistah. She willnot read it. She is trying to read the books her mother has like,
    "Maintenance Man", "Addicted", and other explicit books. If you do have kids I hope they grow up to be sucessful. When one more sistah or brotha comes up, we all come up!

4. Glorious Star

Ratings:
    +2
    My point is: It isn't 30% I wish it was! But it isn't that is all. Even in the 90s it could have been 30 % unless those statistics whre about a certain group of people.

5. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    it is our purpose in nature to procreate. otherwise life wouldn't go on.

while i can relate to the issue of sexual abuse and molestation, that doesn't define life. it just one of those ugly things that happens.

6. Glorious Star

Ratings:
    +2
    but is it worth having children if you cannot give them what they need?

7. egyptos

egyptos New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    How can we fully appreciate the positives without knowing the negatives? Life is beautiful & the young are responsible of change. It's an issue we all can be cautious about, but it isn't new. It's just being focused on in the media.

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Glorius Star and Egyptos ... Welcome

Hello Everyone

If you can handle the pain of childbirth and the life long obligation
    everything else is icing on da cake.

:heart:

Destee

9. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes it's worth it ......i agree with destee

10. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think being a parent is wonderful. One must that it is a great responsibility and live up to that responsibility.