Black Relationships : Is it really wrong to lie?

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by African_Prince, Sep 4, 2010.

1. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    I would argue that lying is not unethical and the reason why lying is not unethical is because false information is not intrinsically bad (on the basis of being false). Stress is the only thing that is intrinsically bad and happiness is the only thing that is intrinsically good. If the truth is not intrinsically good, it doesn't benefit people to be aware of it. What benefits people is experiencing happiness and/or not experiencing stress. If a lie minimizes stress/increases happiness, it is good. If a lie increases stress or deprives someone of happiness, it is bad. If it does neither, it is neutral/amoral.

There are practical reasons to discourage lying. If people believed that other people were deceptive then they could never trust them or form intimate relationships with them and if they couldn't trust other people then they couldn't co-operate with them and society would fall apart. The consequences of a good/neutral lie can be bad but lying in and of itself is harmless.

Do you think lying is 'wrong'?

2. StefiA

StefiA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +215
    Yes I do think lying is wrong - if people didn't lie we'd have a better idea of what is real - even white lies I believe to be wrong - plus liars are usually found out by the inconsistent nature of their lying and this leads to the destruction of trust. Also I'm not certain of your basic idea - is happiness really the only thing that is intrinsically good? Self sacrifice would be perceived as many as a good act, but will not produce happiness necessarily - love and happiness do not always go hand in hand.

3. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Yes. Unless you are dealing with YOUR child, you have no right to determine if a lie will increase or decrease a person's happiness.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    To lie only brings another one to contour with the first one , I say it's fully wrong when
    one knows they lying while trying to master whatever it is they lying about !
    People lie for many different reasons in life , and some just can't tell the truth to save there life.
    Therefor it is wrong to tell a lie for noone will hold trust nor any faith in what one say.
    yes it's wrong to lie

5. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Yes, I am convinced that happiness is the only intrinsic good. I'm not really in the mood to explain why but this blog sums up my views : www.huruma.tumblr.com

6. StefiA

Ratings:
    +215
    @African Prince
    Ok - had a quick peek at that site, but it'll prob' take me a day or two to work through all that - I might get back to you again about it if this thread is still going by then.

7. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    In a marriage or any relationship for that matter,sometime you have to lie sometimes in order to keep the peace. My opinion and experience of course.

Peace!

8. StefiA

Ratings:
    +215
    "In a marriage or any relationship for that matter,sometime you have to lie sometimes in order to keep the peace"

can you give any examples? - obviously nothing too personal - so far I haven't found it necessary in relationships I've had

9. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I don't think that this is a "yes" or "no" question because it is sometimes better to keep the truth from someone, or at least not tell the whole truth.

10. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

Would mind giving an example of when it is better to keep the truth from an adult?