Law Forum : Is It Legal to Post Pictures of People Online - Without Their Permission?

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I would have thot that you needed a person's permission to post a picture of them, but obviously that is not the case! There are bunches of people taking images of folk as they move around their respective cities, and posting them to facebook and other web sites. We've all seen the pictures, folk in Walmart, dressed krazee, look'n krazee, all of that ... and there's obviously no laws being broken ... since so many are doing it ... right?!

Additionally, there's this couple allegedly in the middle of a marriage proposal, being sought by the photographer ... :thinking: ... what if they are both already married, and the man was giving her a promise ring ... after they both flew to D.C. for a hot, intimate rendezvous?!

The photographer has essentially put all of their business in the street, for them!

Is this legal to do ... ???

When is it not legal ... ???

I guess if she were making any money from the pictures, or was selling them, then it would not be allowed?!!!

Even without her 'making money' she is benefiting from the exposure, all on TV and stuff, building what could be a budding career, based on the images of these strangers she took pictures of!?

This is wild ... you don't have to put your own business in the streets, there are a whole bunch of folk with cameras in their cell phones, just waiting for you to step out onto the street! :peekk:

lol ... okay ... seriously ... when is it illegal to take pictures of people, and post them ... if ever?

How would you feel if you stumbled upon pictures of your own self, online, that you never knew existed?!

Thanks in advance.

Love Yall!

:heart:

Destee

2. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    Greetings Sister Destee...

As u know I am not a lawyer...But some things I do know...like it takes a court order for the police to take Pic of folk..as in surveillance. It's takes a signed release for the News paper to release a pic of folk in there homes. remember home is the operative word...In my lifetime I have signed 2. For the most part this is why the Police will always keep the news peeps at a distance at a crime scene.

I may be wrong but I would think a crowd seen was fair game..for it was in public...case in point....The end of WW2 the Famous kiss..the one with the sailor and the girl kissing in Time Square. But I would still think they(news papers) got a release for that one too.

Now about the net...it would take somebody with more savvy then I to answer that Question.

Lilpea.. :1on1:

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother lilpea ... it doesn't seem that it's against the law for police, city officials, etc., to take pictures of folk, because they have cameras everywhere now. They say most people are photographed several times a day, without them even being aware, just by moving around in the city! Maybe it's what they do with those pictures, that might make them illegal ... but of course ... i have no idea!

Plus ... with folk putting other people's pictures all online, obviously without their permission, it makes me think that it must not be illegal ... or that there is a certain line that must be crossed, before it does become illegal.

I'm like you ... i don't know either ... but based on the evidence, so many doing it ... i'm left to surmise it is not illegal.

Brother LilPea ... how would you feel if some pictures of you, and let's say, some great date you were having with a Sister at a restaurant, ended up online ... going viral on youtube ... how would you feel? Would you be flattered or insulted?

Love You!

Destee

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    LONDONERS PHOTOGRAPHED 425 TIMES A DAY

LONDON – The UK already is the West’s most surveyed nation – the average Londoner is secretly photographed an average 425 times a day.

::::

I couldn't find any numbers on Americans, but this article says the following :

“There are an estimated 30 million surveillance cameras now deployed in the United States shooting 4 billion hours of footage a week. Americans are being watched. All of us, almost everywhere.”

::::

Both of these articles are old, so i'm sure the numbers have increased.

Police, government, private corporations, etc., are photographing us, we just don't hardly ever see the pictures.

I guess if you do see the pictures, you're in a court of law, and they're being used against you.

Love You!

Destee

5. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    Sis all I can say is if who ever put me and mine on the web....they better have a big bankroll...cause i'd be coming after everything they had...and hope to have.

Lilpea...:1on1:

6. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    Sis in all fairness...let me also state this....I have posted pics of myself on the web.....now if someone wanted to repost those...I wouldn't mind. Because I have already made them public.

Lilpea..:1on1:

7. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I wondered about this, too!

8. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
    It is not illegal to take a photo of someone and post it on line. (paparazzi.) As a photographer the photos I take belong to me even if they are of you. the fine line is if I use the photos for personal gain. Anyone in a public place can take pictures of anything they want. Public places include parks, sidewalks, malls, etc. Malls? Yeah. Even though it’s technically private property, being open to the public makes it public space. The said photos are the property of the photographer and he can do what he wants with them. The laws are changing with technology whats ok today may change tomorrow.

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Thank You Brother shaka64 ... i guess you're right, folk are surely doing it ... but i kinda feel like Brother lilpea ... it feels like an invasion of privacy ... but if you're out in the street ... it's not private ... and certainly if you post these things of yourself, or allow someone to take pictures of you in compromising situations ... well, your stuff is just out there ... :tv1: ... :lol:

We're all being photographed / videotaped several times a day, whether we know it or not ...

Keep smiling - by the end of today your image may well have been captured on more than 300 surveillance cameras, mostly without you knowing it.

Walk out of the house and a street CCTV system may be watching. Cameras can pick you up driving to work or on the train; your office may be under surveillance - your bank certainly will. Go to a shopping centre and your face will be stored dozens of times. Your local restaurant will record you picking up your takeaway and the leisure centre will snap you working out.

Read entire article here

Again ... thanks for sharing!

Loving Us!

Destee

ps ... while it's legal to photograph / videotape us ... you can go to jail doing the police

::
    ::

10. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I don't know about what you are asking, but the initial picture when clicking on the link....looks like he is hitting her in the head with a rock, and her body is falling limp. #justmythoughts.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is it legal to post pictures of people online

2. posting pictures online without consent

3. is it legal to post pictures of people

4. is it illegal to post pictures of people without permission,
  5. is it illegal to post pictures without consent on facebook,
  6. is it illegal to take photos of people and post them,
  7. can a person legally post your picture on social media without your consent,
  8. is it illegal to post photos of people on social media without their permission,
  9. is it illegal to post someones picture on the internet without their permission?,
  10. is it illegal to take pictures without knowledge then post them online,
  11. is it illegal to take photos of of someone without permission,
  12. posting other people pics with out there consent whats the law in Illinois,
  13. legality of putting someones picture in a bullseye ,
  14. legality of posting old pictures of people,
  15. can i post a picture of someone if i blur them out,
  16. is ut ilegal to take pics of people without permussion,
  17. is it legal.to.post videos of peoplenon facebook,
  18. posting pictures online without permission crime california,
  19. is it illegal to take someones photos from facebook without permission,
  20. posting someones picture illegal,
  21. IS IT A CRIME TO TAKE A PICTURE OF SOMEONE ANT PUT IT ON FACEBOOK WITHOUT THERE CONSENT,
  22. is posting someone elses baby pic online against the law,
  23. is it illegal to post pics on facebook without permission,
  24. law suit about posting pictures of someone without them knowig,
  25. is it illegal to post someone elses picture on facebook without their knowledge,
  26. is it legal to post peoples pics on line without their permission?,
  27. is it ilegall to take a pic of someone and post it online,
  28. laws on taking peoples pictures,
  29. laws on taking videos for people and posting them without therer knowledge,
  30. is it illegal to post a picture of strangers on the internet?,
  31. illegal to photoshop nude,
  32. is it ilegal to photoshop a picture of someone without their consent,
  33. lagalities of someone posting my picture online without permissuon,
  34. is posting a picture of someone on the internet without conscent a crime california,
  35. Is it against the law to post other peoples pictures to people?,
  36. is it illegal to post pictures a a naked person without their permission?,
  37. is it legal to post pics of people online without permission,
  38. laws about taking pictures on people without their permission,
  39. is itbillegal to post a vide or pic of a person on facebook without your consent,
  40. laws against posting adolecence pictures without permission on facebook,
  41. is it illegal to take someones picture and post without permission,
  42. posting picture without permission,
  43. are people legally allowed to take picture of you & post on social media?,
  44. laws for posting pictures on the internet,
  45. is it illegal to take pictures of someone without their knowledge,
  46. is it ilegal to post video on social media without someones permission,
  47. illegal to photoshop picture and post online,
  48. sending pictures of people via email without permission,
  49. isit illegal to post pictures of people on social media without consent in Colorado?,
  50. is it illigal to photograph someone and post it without their consent,
  51. taking a picture of someone against their will,
  52. laws on putting people online without consent,
  53. Is it illegal to take pictures of someone without there permission online