Amun-Ra : Is It Just Me?

Discussion in 'Amun-Ra' started by Amun-Ra, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Amun-Ra

Amun-Ra Well-Known Member MEMBER

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    Is it just me or my imagination that when I shop in a predominantly black area to shop that somehow I am disturbing people when I want help, information or to pay my bill? Should I feel happy that someone will break away from a personal phone call to take my money?

This is not something I just noticed, but after I paid for a pair of slacks the other day, I felt as if the clerk had done me a favor by taking my money. It didn't end there.

I went into the women's department looking for a blouse for my wife, but the department was enormous and I couldn't find what I was looking for and just as I was about to give up, I spotted a clerk standing near a cash register talking on a cell phone. Relief at last I thought. Wrong!

She must have seen me coming because as I approached the counter, she turned the other way. As I moved around the counter trying to get her attention, she kept turning away until it must have looked like we were playing "ring around the rosie."
    Now, my color started to kick in as thoughts of jumping over that counter and snatching that bat bald-headed flamed into my mind.
    My trials were just beginning.

When I left the clothing store, I needed something to cool me off and to soothe my last nerve which had just been thoroughly stomped. As I meandered toward Baskin-Robbins, I could all ready taste the full flavor of a double-dip of chocolate ice cream that I was going to order. As I strolled up, a nice young man asked if he could help me. I told him yes and ordered my favorite. At last--service!

Unfortunately, the calm ended when I reached the checkout where a frowning, she-bear snatched the money from my hand and threw the change back at me.

That was it. Woman or not, that big, tongue looks like it's in jail, gap-toothed motha-fo-ya, had an *** kicking coming. Just as I was about to vault the counter and commence wailing on that ***, the security gaurds who are usually no place to be found, showed up. Finally, I went home.

Now, for the rest of the story. I was shopping at the "Negro" mall where the majority of shoppers are black and the majority of clerks are black as well. I often wonder if they save up their rude behavior for only when I come in the mall. It's not convenient to drive all the way across the city to shop but that's what I do now.

They have black clerks in the predominantly white malls too, but that's where the similarity ends. All of the clerks, black and white, act like they are glad to see you and even happier to take your money.

I still go to the Negro mall for convenience, but if I am going to do some serious shopping--I go north to keep from going to jail for assault. By the way, I never did get a blouse for my wife, but I cruise the Negro mall parking lot every night waiting for that cell phone talking heifer to come out so I can run her down.

:censored:

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    I hate hearing of these types of experiences. I know they happen and have experienced one or two myself, but so often when they're mentioned, black business owners / service providers are all lumped into the same unprofessional, tacky pile. While on the other hand, when we have a bad experience with a white store/service provider, it's directed at that individual and rarely referenced in the context of "white business owners."

You made the distinction above that black clerks in the white malls act different than black clerks in black malls?! What's that about? If we took that same black clerk from the white mall and put her/him in the black mall, would they then be rude to the customers ... and vice-versa?

As I type this I can't help but think about the fact that we as a people have had to have these dual type of personalities, one for when we're around white folk (out of our element, if you will) and one when we are around our own folk. I don't mean to suggest that all black folk do this, probably much less these days than times gone by, but it has happened. There's just some behavior that we know is not acceptable in mixed company (they might not understand, feel, relate and/or get the joke, whatever). I'm not suggesting this is an excuse, but it could develop into real issues for some folk (maybe she used to work at the white mall). :nuts:

:lol:

Destee

3. Amun-Ra

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    Of Course You Are Right!

I just get so bent out of shape when I encounter bad attitudes from our people. Sure white folks do it, but it is black folfs that I am concerned with because of the aspect of black business. I feel that I have been chased away rather than invited in. I am tired of paid workers with attitudes, who don't want to work and no idea of customer courtesy.

I know there are some shitty jobs out there and I have had more than my share over the years, but though I despised the job, I never forgot who really paid for my work--the customer! I don't feel that I have the right to subject everyone I come in contact with to my bad day, my bad behavior or my bad attitude.

The first rule of business is "the customer is always right." The second rule of business is "refer to the first rule." Satisfied customers come back. Dissatisfied customers tell others and soon business falls off. Then we have to lay people off.

This is not to say that the same doesn't happen acrosstown, because it does, but that is no excuse. If we want repeat business, then we must make it repeatable by providing customer service--not attitude.

Okay. I have preached enough. And, I'm stillstill looking for that cell phone talking heifer.

Ra

;)

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Ra....man i feel ya here it's not just u but we all
    run into dis crap hell everytime i go to da mall
    i feel like going off on them
    those clerks be a real mutha .....
    i think soon everybody will be shopping from da net
    in da near furture coz seem like we get better
    service and more respect as we spend our money
    they act like we should wait...while thay chat on phones
    and walk pass us to help others u feel me ......
    going through da same ****.

5. Amun-Ra

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    Makes Me Crazy

When they walk away and hide really upsets me--all I ask is that they do their job--that's all--no special treatment--just professional help--Ra

:cool:

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    I'm agreeing with Kemetstry here ... though "demand" may not be required. If we simply let the owners/mgmt know the way you're being treated, they'd take action immediately. I don't know any people, black or white, that have invested the considerable resources necessary to start and maintain a business ... only to not care and/or react accordingly, when a client or customer is being treated poorly by those they employ to represent them.

I'm sure all it would take is calling them up and letting them know.

I'm sure too that Sista Gurl would not stay on the phone when someone needed help, playing ring around the rosie with the customers ... if her employer were anywhere nearby.

Destee

7. Amun-Ra

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    You Got That Right!

When the boss is around--you can count on getting good service. It is sad in so many ways because one of the areas we need to become stronger is in the area of business, not just as consumers or hired help. I guess I've let my frustration out now and I feel better, but I know I will be back at the Negro Mall this weekend and I am dreading italll ready.

I must say on a good note that at the African Imports store, the help there is friendly, courteous and focused--man are they focused--they want your business and don't intend on letting you get out of there without buying something, but it is a good store I enjoy shopping there even if the clerks are a little too helpful. It is better to more attention than none at all.

Ra

:heart:

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    yeah that's right

cozda other dy i wasout geting some paint
    and i ask for help dis jackazz simply walked
    away and never looked back
    hell i walked out da store
    i guess i shoulda have stayed and made a
    some noise.......i even had a young lady
    toss food @ me in a drive thu
    i ask didu have to toss it and she said yeah!
    wit dat kind of **** i was about to go way off
    i just ask fo my money back!

people in da work force bout to make me snap!

da net shopping will soon take ova and they ***
    won't have a job to go too ......:maddd:

9. Amun-Ra

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    Pain in the A#$

I hate to be a pain the butt, but I think Destee hits it jusdt about right--get management involved--you might not make a friend at that time, but you might improve service for someone else in the future.

Ra

:)

10. amirah

amirah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    A good solution..

getting management involved. I've noticed the same scenario in malls/stores in different areas. As one who has worked retail before, I usually try to pull the person aside--esp if it's a sistah and try to relate something..."****, you must be tired of workin or havin a bad day or something!"... This was done for me by a customer (and I was working at a well-known dept store, Foley's in an all white area!) I was just trippin that day and thinking about how I was at my "second job" and some sistah pulled me aside and brought me back to reality really quick. She also mentioned to me that she would rather talk to me about my attitude than go to the manager!

My pops on the other hand will go straight to management and be "kind" enough to ask the person to personally get the manager. Then when they get there, he'll say something like, "This young lady might need to go home or something, because she obviously doesn't want to work or be bothered by customers today." One time the manager actually told the person to sign out and go home. That bugged me out! But then again, my pops is strictly old school and believes that "WORK IS WORK."
    He always told us that nobody cares if you like your job. That's an added bonus. You get paid, you work. PERIOD.