Black Entertainment : IS HIP HOP DEAD ?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by $$RICH$$, Jun 24, 2012.

1. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    By the time we saw the late 80's and start of the 90's as hip hop started to change
    it's look and meanings did it die then and what was the behind the change to what
    was our black culture of music.....when public enemy/ KRS-One / mobb deep/ 2pac
    NWA/Grand master flash/slum village/whodini all was spiting truth to the people what
    really happen that took ova the business ???

What i found was shocking but all along knew my mindset was on the right track to
    what happen that change our music of meaning / aim at the struggle and cause of us
    as a people shortly i will share what i found out.......! but love to hear from those who
    know the back in the day hip hop meaning and maybe why it took a turn or twist to
    what we see and hear today that is crap/destructional/degrading.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    it could rise again…..

3. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Nope, it's just the radio and the "music" channels that are.

4. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    you know brother James i think it could but at what cost as it was to be written in a form
    with reasons that top "decision makers" in the music industry has to withhold and how the
    government has played a role in the death of hip hop to what today is hot drop crap with
    a mindset of evil/destruction , so i rack my mind to why this happen when brothers was out
    here spitting messages / droppin lyrics that mean something and most of all to the struggle
    from the late 60's surely you would know and felt the change by the late 80's -to-early 90's

was the sound itself brainwashed to new waves and did it make more for the industries & company
    producers/ manegers / and rappers and have they totally taken ova the minds of youth and people
    that listen to them and there message today ?

5. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    So the music still the same just the radio that have change , but today's music has no meaning to
    enpower the people like in the ole skol days , something change between 1989-1991 hip hop took
    off in a total different direction and we start seeing more violance/the message was destructional
    brothers was acting fools ....something took form and shape doing them times ...

6. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    This type of music is still being made by people today.

I think the problem is two fold:
    • Capitalism controls what people hear today mostly. Radios are now just crap loads of commercials and a few high selling artists in rotation. Even of those high selling artists, they'll stick to crap that's considered good "single" material even if that artist has much more thoughtful content on their catalog. They want to sell ads, and record companies just want to move units
    • There's a lot more people making a lot more music these days probably because the price of entry is much lower. Want to join? You can do most of it on a single laptop with some headphones. Want to distribute? Disc duplicators, label printers/services, and the Internet are all you need.
    When an industry becomes centered around just probing for that next pop-hit maker they'll always look for pretty much the same thing. They'll look for the same sound. Notice how a lot of music really sounds the same these days? They're a lot less risk averse so better content gets passed up even if it's good just because it's a risk.
    There's still some hope in the industry in the form of radio stations/djs/promotion that try to counter this, but it's up against a much larger and better funded machine. I think the Internet and technology will thankfully keep making it more difficult for that old machine to operate.

7. candeesweet

candeesweet Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    It seems that we have lost ur imagination! Ever since computers(80',90's) everything has it's place. So when it's not popular to combine real with dreamy anymore. Well Hard is the way ta go.
    Keeping the game all for themselves:)

8. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Thankz for sharing that it kinda give me insight to a lot of what happen so when you say Capitalism controls
    is that the social media/ or some group of who say what can be or not !!?

How much money is invested into who get air time on the playlist or even heard i think it's a lot of
    strong meaningful hip hop music being done underground

I know it's true that today more and more rappers trying to get out there and many are like home base
    from like you said computer/laptop and not done in a studio, again thanks it helps me see why we don't
    hear folks like mobb deep / public enemy / KRS-One and many others who spit about the struggle and
    these young guys on the club ish and naked women of degrading or all about a dollar

9. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yeah! but at what cost today they give us stuff not related too our problem but add to the struggle
    tossing money at young black half naked women dancin shaking there tail and all the lyrics speaking
    on killing / destroying and degrading us as a people with the N -word in like every song they stay in
    line with the near same beat sound and meanings ...nothing like ole skol hip hop sounds......I guess
    the stakes was too high to fight against the change to our culture of music

10. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Most of the BS that comes out now ain't Hip Hop. Real Hip Hop ain't dead and never will be.