Black Entertainment : Is hip-hop breeding ignorance?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Dee_milwaukee, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Dee_milwaukee

Dee_milwaukee Member MEMBER

Student, yurning to be done with school!
    Ratings:
    +0
    With all the Talk about [MONEY/ JEWELRY/ BOOZE/ HORRORS/ IMMORAL SEX ACTS/ CLUBN 24-7/ MURDERS ETC,...ETC]

Is hip-hop teaching us to be egotistical clowns? Is it teaching us that, in order to be something in life we must exploit a highly self centered, careless, sexually promiscious and ignorant attitude on stage[wax] and in our communities? what do u think?

2. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Peace & Islam

Yes sista, "Commercial" Hip-Hop is teaching the youth to be bafoons, while corporate Amerikkka gets rich off our own exploitation. These Rappers are mis-leading many of our youth with the self-destructional crap they put out. This helps keep our community at the bottom of the barrel. Thank Allah for artists like Dead Prez, Talib Kweli, The Coup and so on.

3. SOULDEEP3

SOULDEEP3 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    WHAT IS MAKING ALL OF THESE MILLIONS FOR THESE MUSIC CORPORATIONS IS NOT [[[HIPHOP]]]. HIPHOP IS A POSITIVE CULTURE which is comprised of EMCEEING, DEEJAYING, GRAFITTI ART, B-BOYING, KNOWLEDGE,FASHION,BEATBOXING & ENTREPENEURIALISM...NONE OF WHICH IS NEGATIVE TO THE POINT OF DESTROYING THE CULTURE. These DEVILS BEHIND THE SCENES{Record labels,MEDIA,etc.} are PROMOTING PARASITES {50 cent,the MAJORITY of GARBAGE "ARTISTS" FROM THE SOUTH,etc}which are literally DEVOURING the actual CULTURE of HIPHOP from the inside out. Meanwhile the Labels & MEDIA show NO LOVE to the TRUE HIPHOP ARTISTS,ESPECIALLY THOSE FROM THE 80'S & Early 90's{WHO ACTUALLY HAVE SOMETHING OF SUBSTANCE TO SAY TO THE PEOPLE....THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE CHOOSE TO SELL OUR SOULS FOR MILLIONS OF DOLLARS,which are CRUMBS,or TABLESCRAPS in comparison to what the LABELS clock. THESE ARTISTS WITH ACTUAL CAPITAL{DR.DRE, SNOOP, WILL SMITH, LLCOOL J., MASTER P,etc.} NEED TO ECONOMICALLY FORM VOLTRON & RELEASE EVERYTHING THEMSELVES. I don't know why NOBODY has ever as an ARTIST created their own VINYL PRESSING PLANT & DISTRIBUTION COMPANIES....regardless of most consumers buying CDs,this is STILL A HUGE POWER MOVE.

4. Royal_T

Royal_T Well-Known Member MEMBER

LAW ENFORCEMENT SOMETHING!?!
    Ratings:
    +13
    i must admit that hip hop emodies emcees,dejays grafiti art, knowledge fashion etc.....I also agree that these companies putting out the garbage are bleeding us dry........but we as consumers are killing ourselves. We can't allow Lil' Kim to be the princess of hip hop....She buys Guchii rain coats for her dogs and Prada press ons for her nails. That's not hip hop...That's ridiculous. Hip hop is a culture of progression not regression. A culture of proaction not reaction. We must understand that there is a difference between country music and pop....Does anyone know that there is a difference between rap and hip hop.....Rap is garbage and it has burried hip hop in main stream america. I don't buy anything main stream..I don't care how popular they are. It's time to take a stand against the record companies and we need to demand better. That's just me. :luvv: :roll: :luvv:

5. chaos

chaos Member MEMBER

student
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry. I cannot believe what I'm reading. *shakes head*

Okay, a lot of rap these days don't have significant topics and positive meanings to the songs but really did they really have a lot of positivity back in the day?

Let's see:
    Kool Mo Dee
    "Now I'm in my 20s with plenty money and honey bunnies
    20s and 10s, drive a Benz, you can't take nothin from me"

Afrika Bambaataa Zulu Nation Cosmic Force
    "That's right, never met a girl that I couldn't shook up
    So won't you clap your hands and have some fun
    It's the super dynamite (huh) MC Chubby Chub
    You don't stop (hah) you don't stop (haha)"

Grandmaster Flash
    "I'm tellin' everybody (my big black Caddy)
    Yo,I know ain't nothing wrong with your hearin'
    And I got a strong back that provides the power steering
    The fellas all (jealous) The ladies all (want it)
    You can't get in it but you all can ride on it
    "

Same topics heard then are here now. insignificant topics about girls and partying.

If the topics are still going on from back in the day then what makes you think that changes are going to be made now?

6. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I think commercial hip hop is the plight of the industry. Artist like Mos Def are holding us together. But there are too many others out there putting out music that sets us back.

Get a girl, get her hot. Get her home, give her ****

What is that? So many people equate that too artist being talented. There is nothing talented about those two sentences. Mos Def said it best when he said Hip Hop is the people. Hip Hop is only going to do as well as the people allow it to do. We need to start holding "artist" to a higher standard.

7. Royal_T

Royal_T Well-Known Member MEMBER

LAW ENFORCEMENT SOMETHING!?!
    Ratings:
    +13

Yo, I feel you chaos, but even then I didn't ride with any of those artist. Kool Moe Dee just reminds me of the wild wild west...the only hit he ever had in my opinion. Afrikan....they were didfferent so people picked up on them...I like the African medalians, never listened to a single word.

Grand...he was always a deejay to me.

I'm not saying I was up on all and everything, but those didn't hit my spot.

KRS, PE, WHOODINI,ROXANNE,MC LYTE...THEY WERE THE MID 80'S BUNCH BUT THROUGH A LOT OF HIP HOP ARTISTS, I LEARNED ABOUT A GLOBAL STRUGGLE THAT NO ONE EVER SPOKE OF. THAT WAS MAIN STREAM THEN WHY NOT NOW. I'LL EVEN SAY NWA BROUGHT THE GHETTO LIFE TO WHITE AMERICA...AND AMERICA COULDN'T HANDLE IT.

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Do you have to even ask? Isn't it obvious. How many rappers are encouraging our youth to learn their history or stay in school? a handful at best

9. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think that Hip Hop can be positive. I think that the influence these record companies have on artist is what is killing the music. Actually, the artist are such money hungry cowards that they buy into the thug, drug-dealer image for the almighty dollars. I understand that it's a way to make a better life for yourself, but should we really be selling ourselves out for a buck on top of strengthening stereotypes that are already in place by white people. These guys glorifying killing, drug-dealing and the thug lifestyle are the true sellouts, not the guy trying to stay out of trouble and get an education. We have it all twisted. Yes, it is breeding ignorance. That's all you see nowdays is ignorance. There are a handful of positive rappers who don't get the credit they deserve. We are definately taking big steps backwards as far as music goes. Jazz is far better. Even Hip Hop concerts are weak. Jazz concerts are way better. Real music. Now days Hip Hop is crap on top of beats with guys getting paid to write 2nd grade lyrics..

10. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1

I’m going to have to go against the grain on this one. In my opinion, art imitates life. We were well on our way down the path of violence, sexual promiscuity and materialism before and without the influence of rap music. The music being played on the radio (not only Rap but R&B as well) is simply a reflection of what we have become. These record companies push “Gangsta rap” or “commercial hip hop” as it has been referred to, because it sells. And do you know why it sells? Simply put, it’s what the market (our youth) wants to hear. Its saddening that albums like Black on Both Sides (Mos Def), Spiritual Minded, (KRS One) and Universal Concussion (BB Jay) don’t achieve the same level of commercial success and/or airplay as Get Rich or Die Trying (50 Cent) or Get Low (Lil Jon & The East side Boyz). But why should we expect any different? We live in a culture that says that your self worth is measured by what you own (what you wear or what you drive). Maybe the question you should be asking is are we teaching our children to be egotistical clowns?

I’m tired of blaming hip hop and record companies for our shortcomings. We need to get honest with ourselves and admit that we have failed our young people. The values (or lack there of) that we have handed to our youth are warped. So it should come as no surprise that the only songs or videos they are interested in talk about the bling bling, stuntin or getting high.