Black Spirituality Religion : Is God a Person?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Aug 16, 2005.

?

God is...

1. A person with a will and consciousness

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. A force that we can harness like energy

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. I don't know

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. There is no God

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Can He who made the eye see my tears?
    Can He who made the ear hear my cry?
    Can He who made the heart love me?

Or is God just an intelligent yet impersonal force that will work for us if we know the right secrets?

Let's say someone had told me I had a father based on a book they had read about him. Then let's say I get to know my father personally without ever having reaa the book. We walk together and talk together for years.

Then somewhere down the line I decide to read the book about him because I've been told the book will help me unjderstand him better. What I find in the book bears no resembblance to my father. It accuses him of doing things that I can't imagine him doing and I've known him for years. Then the people who urge me to read the book abuse me. I look back and realize that dealing with them has been one painful experience after the other. So I leave them and stop reading the book.

Then someone comes along and tells me the book is all a lie. I find that there is no scientific proof that any event in the book ever tood place. They tell me that the book was written to keep me in bondage. But what they say is just a crystalization of what I have felt all along so I am more than ready to receive what they say.

Does this change my relationship with the father that I have known for years? The people who urge me to read the book think so because they only know him through the book.

Do you know God through a book or do you know Him?
    Can you know God?
    Has He shown you in any way that He knows you?

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Firstly, why would an Energy/Entity/God have any specific form, given that "He" is credited with having created everything? Would that be "humaniform chauvinism"? Why any one sex?

I was introduced through that book. I found, and accepted, my own understanding of what it all means. From what I gather, it's only the first five books; the rest is anecdotal stuff. And that "new testament" is a perversion of the Message that Brother Jesus was trying to convey! To me, the foretold coming of the Messenger was a warning about a spanking. And we, like most children, walked right into it by killing that Messenger. As a result, like the "logical progression" of the Old Testament, the "logical progression" of the New Testament leads us straight to Revelations and "Armegeddon". But that is that book stuff.

Having been introduced, now I know that I "know" "Him".

Shows me all the time!

When that lyric comfirms, or counters, what I am thinking, saying, feeling or doing.

When birds, dogs, wind, rain, etc. confirms, or counters, what I am thinking, saying, feeling or doing.

When the things that "I need to survive" are provided to me as the need (NOT want) arises.

When the Gift of Perceptions (thinking, seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling, intuiting) causes me to change the way I perceive/understand something.

When my body tells me that I have to make a change.

Since everything is the direct result of that Creation, directly "Handcrafted by God", as it were, it all contains "His" Message. Since we, too, are direct results of that same "Handcrafting", we can, and do, hear, read, see, feel, breath that same Message all the time.

Mine is a Spiritual Knowledge. I am sure that the Religious Faithful will be all over me. You can pray for me, if you wish. I'll just put in a Good Word with The Boss on your behalf!

I think of it as an Energy Force, pervading everything. I find that I am ok with the label "God". I always kinda quail a little bit at the "sexism" of the pronouns, but tend to "go with the flow". However, that is not to say that I have anything against using "Goddess" on occasion. In fact, one of my favorite lines is: "As soon as God finishes with Her Afro, She is gonna deal with this mess!".

3. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I think it's both, but such an option wasn't available on the poll so I had to put what I believe more, that he/she is a force.

4. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

I don't see God as a person. For me God is an ominpresent, omnipotent multi-dimensional self-contained source of energy.

I know God in the Dream State and in Trance. ALthough reading a book can give me a glimpse of how God plays a role in my understanding of nature and the cosmos.

Now, if someone came to me and told me that my creator did this or that because they read it in a book, I would ask who they got the book from and who wrote it.

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Without the Book, How are you going to know How to obey Him? How are you going to know right from wrong? How would our parents and ancestors have known right from wrong? If there was no Bible, How would we know whether sex, murder, lying, stealing, etc. are right or wrong?

You cannot depend on MAN or WOMAN to tell you the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Believe it or not, it is very difficult to get in the Holy Spirit, and follow the Holy Spirit. There are tests, challenges, and obstacles that we have to face.

He shows me that He knows me giving me what I need, and holding off what I want. I learned to know Him by keeping in mind: YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW! There is too much that I can say about that.

I don't know of one person in the Bible, or in human life that did not reap what they sowed.

That's just what I think.

CD

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Brother anAfrican you come through with the most poignant responses.

In truth I use "He" because our language does not have a non-gender specific personal pronoun. Saying "He/She" doesn't do either because it's still defining God according te human terms. But I just cannot bring myself to call God an IT. So like you, I go with the flow. "He" is easy to write and say--just two little letters and I'm done.

Yes, every experence is a manifestation the Creator's love. Sometimes only hindsight shows us this when we look back and say "Whew."

7. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Our ancestors lived for millenia without the need of a book to know how conduct themselves.

Converserly there are entire civilizations who have had the aide of the use of Bible, but have proven to be the most barbaric people of all time.

8. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Very true.

Also, if this 'book' was created by man (which it was), isn't it a reflection of man's heart, not God's?

9. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    I find it strange that everything God has done was done or revealed through a man or woman...or as we may say, through people. Someone care to speak on that?

10. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Also, if man and woman can't be trusted how can we trust the book they are presenting to us came from God just because they said it did? If God can speak directly to your heart to tell you that's His word in that book why can't He speak directly to your heart to tell you right from wrong?

I don't learn that I reap what I sow from the bible. I learn that from life itself and from my local farmer. But some versions of the bible say the
    love of money is the root of all evil which I know is not true. Then God revised His book to say the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. That is true but why couldn't God get it right the first time?