Black People : Is everything black or white?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Sunnyb, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Sunnyb

Sunnyb Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business owner
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello brothers and sisters

I'm kinda new here, and have been reading many threads on the site.
    My question is.....Is everything black or white???

In reading threads based on many subjects, from today to several years back, I've noticed a recurrence of the fact that no matter what the subject, it always comes down to being the white man or 'oppressors' fault.

I've had this discussion many times in the last several years with many intelligent black folk and I've gotten many different points of view. However I still remain puzzled on why "everything" bad in the black community is the white mans fault......in fact to be honest, I was really hesitant to ask this question because it doesn't seem very popular to think otherwise here on Destee.

Yes, I know for sure that there are many atrocities that have been and still are committed against black people in this country, but can we blame it all on the white man? Also, if it is the white mans fault, what are we doing about it?

From what I've seen in my ?? years living in America is much ignorance and racism, and unfortunately (not as much as whites) allot of that coming out of the black community.

Most black people in America believe in Martin or Malcolm, and after Malcolm's journey to Mecca even he changed many of his extreme views and rejected the racist rhetoric of Elijah Muhammad. As for Martin, he stressed that we should 'judge a man by the content of his character, not the color of his skin.'

We live here in America, not only amongst white people, but people of every race, creed, and color, most of whom has suffered great atrocities in their ancestral history also, but who fought tooth and nail against the system which oppressed them and in many ways won.

I fight against the system regularly for my black people but so often feel stupid afterward, because my people won't ever stand with me, or stand up for themselves, they just turn on me and each other. In fact most of the trials in my life have been at the hand of my black people, and the excuse is always the white man.
    There has been about 150yrs since slavery yet many of our people still refuse to stop with the excuses, ignorance, and the misplaced anger....in my opinion, looking back at this country right now, after all the suffering, dying, and fighting, our ancestors have got to be spinning in their graves.

When do we stop the nonsense, take responsibility, and stop making excuses? When do we honor those African ancestors by making a truly positive mark on this world, and becoming the people that our offspring can truly be proud of 150yrs from now?

Could it be that its not the 'white man' that is holding us back, but maybe the 'black man'? (black people)

Just curious......Alright you can whoop my butt now! :10500:

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Welcome Sunnyb

I've been here at Destee over five years and it is not as one sided as you describe. And I'm not sure why you felt hesitant to express your views here. If you have views that are uplifting of Black people and our struggle toward self knowledge such views are always welcome here. I'ss even okay to express views that some folks might not agree with. I do it all the time and they still love me. Views that are just critical of Black people in general or suggestive that all our problems are our own fault without any historical or socioeconomic context probably won't fare too well here.

Again, welcome. I am sistah river. I have no authority here, just a member. But we look forward to your contribution of ideas, insight, knowledge and wisdom. Keep reading and get to know us. Thee are some really nice folks here.

river

3. Sunnyb

Business owner
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sista River thanks much for your input.

However, I never said there weren't nice people here. The only reason I decided to join Destee is from reading ALOT and realizing that I liked many of the views expressed here.

Mainly I want to clear up the dig in your comment....I never said that everything that all of our (black peoples) problems are our own fault, and historical or socioeconomic proof is not needed here, nor am i criticizing....my statements are as follows:

Yes, I know for sure that there are many atrocities that have been and still are committed against black people in this country, but can we blame it all on the white man? Also, if it is the white mans fault, what are we doing about it?

From what I've seen in my ?? years living in America is much ignorance and racism, and unfortunately (not as much as whites) allot of that coming out of the black community.

Most black people in America believe in Martin or Malcolm, and after Malcolm's journey to Mecca even he changed many of his extreme views and rejected the racist rhetoric of Elijah Muhammad. As for Martin, he stressed that we should 'judge a man by the content of his character, not the color of his skin.'

We live here in America, not only amongst white people, but people of every race, creed, and color, most of whom has suffered great atrocities in their ancestral history also, but who fought tooth and nail against the system which oppressed them and in many ways won.

I fight against the system regularly for my black people but so often feel stupid afterward, because my people won't ever stand with me, or stand up for themselves, they just turn on me and each other. In fact most of the trials in my life have been at the hand of my black people, and the excuse is always the white man.
    There has been about 150yrs since slavery yet many of our people still refuse to stop with the excuses, ignorance, and the misplaced anger....in my opinion, looking back at this country right now, after all the suffering, dying, and fighting, our ancestors have got to be spinning in their graves.

When do we stop the nonsense, take responsibility, and stop making excuses? When do we honor those African ancestors by making a truly positive mark on this world, and becoming the people that our offspring can truly be proud of 150yrs from now?

I'm sorry if you took this as criticism, however it is not. It is a point of view.
    There are serious problems in the black community and I feel that we need to look at ourselves instead of always blaming the white man because he doesn't care.

Now I don't know why you have taken it as a negative, but maybe that's the point, we choose not to see what we do to ourselves and each other. You made my point though, when I said i was hesitant, because its not very popular to point out our hand in our own situation.

Sorry if I offended you.

4. Sunnyb

Business owner
    Ratings:
    +1
    In fact Sistah River the path toward self knowledge begins with looking inward.

5. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Sistah Sunnyb,

We seem to be starting off with one misunderstanding after the other. I wish we could stop because our views aren't really all that different.

I was not offended by what you said. I apologize if my words came across as a dig. It wasn't meant to be directed at you personally.

I hope we can lay this to rest and start afresh. In the morning of coarse because right now I must go to bed.

6. Sunnyb

Business owner
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Sistah River, no apology needed. Don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Have a good night.

7. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    I am not sure what to say.

If all you can take from this forum is that "we" blame "White" people, then I don't really believe there is much to talk about. It would be like going to an American Indian forum and saying the same thing. Or visiting a woman's forum and being disappointed in their view of men.

And it is startling how you have overlooked obvious discussions about methods, organizations, personal stories, etc. etc. about helping, educating, and supporting our people.

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    the matrix strikes again.....

this is just one more in the endless string of neo cons. no big deal.

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    free your mind, please...

yes, we can. the owner of the system of global white supremacy is responsible for all that goes on within that system.

black people fought and overturned racial discrimination in this country. the civil rights movement was ours.

the day after the white man does.

if you are into pain, you have met the right brother.

10. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    sista look at this site as therapy...
    most if not all on this site have felt the sting of racism within their respective lifetimes....
    when u've been wronged it's nice to have an outlet to let out the
    seething poison contained within ur veins...
    that is a lot of what u read here when white folks come up in a discussion....
    take it for what it's worth...
    do u know excel10k? lol...

one love
    khasm