Black History : Is Essence Mag African?

Kannte said:
How much influence does Essence mag have on the culture of black women in black/African-America?

Most women I know read it religiously, along with Ebony and Jet. Funny, most of them don't read Black Enterprise.

Anyway, from what I see, it has a substantial hold on African-American women the way Cosmo does on white women. It is chock full of advice on how to dress, how to wear makeup, how to catch a man. There was once an article about keeping your husband happy. The answer was to have sex with him whenever he wanted if, within reason, even if you didn't want to.

I stopped reading Essence at the beginning of the year.

When the black book explosion was taking place, and white publishers believed incorrectly that blacks were not reading or buying books, only to discover that we were. There was no way for them to tap into the market at that time because black publishers and book stores had it tied down. Essence magazine was the one who sold the black book list and publishers to White people. Does that answer your question ?

It answers it for me!

What is a true "untainted" African cultural magazine?

I think this question, which examines the “African-ness” or rather the African cultural content of an Essence Mag., could refer to many so-called Black publications. What I find even more interesting is that many magazines that are published as “African” magazines that deal with news and culture in continental Africa are also actually published and sometimes edited by white Europeans.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back