Black People : IS CONTINENTAL AFRICAN SUPERIOR TO AFRICAN DIASPORAN CULTURE???

First "Know Thy Self"

Hotep

No matter how confused we have become by not knowing who and what we are...not knowing the compleat and unbious history of what has really taken place and is still take-ing place while we are and regardles that we are ignorante to the (truth) facts of this life and let alone any thing out side of that.
We today who think we have any thing that resembles a culture must know that if we do...it is only a surviving reminents of our past in Africa and what "We" have created sents we been here in Amerikkka. Some Africans who still live in Africa are in as bad or worst shape as any or some of us who live else ware in the world and particulerly in the U.S. They (Africans) are trying to overcome the effects of Colonilization and we (Africans) who were taken away from our home land (by Europeans) during this time of colinizing of Africa...are trying to over come the effects of Slavery. While at this same "Time" the europeans are injoying the "Affluence" that the "Slave-Trade" afforded "Them". Along with their and only their white-Priviliage!
What we must know today is...the "Real" culture that "We" came from is still in tact but was hidden for survivel reasons from the ones who would have distroyed every last vestage of our existance if they were allowed to have their way. What also important to know is...the europeans never had a culture but have what is known the world over as "Anti-Culture". Every thing they have...they "Took" from (You) some one else or another nation and people. This has nothing to do with political, religion or favoritism of any kind but at the same time it has every thing to do with these things because to us they are irrelivent to them these things are most and absolutly ''Relivent"...only what the facts them self present to us who know the "Truth". Some of us are even more confused about what "Truth" is...this is a proof of the serious crazy issues we have learnd by un-learning who we are as a slave people. Dr. Martin Luther King said himself when asked who was his greatest influinces...he answered...Prophet Muhammad and Gohndi. If we know history and have learned ware it all started from we will then understand that it is ok to use any means nessasry to "Liberate our so-called African selves". Once agin we are living in a pirioud of "Anti-Culture" and "We" are the ones who "Are" and all ways have given "Culture" or created it for our european capturers and slave masters and their children. Every one who comes from Africa don't nesacerily know any more than any African in America unles they can prove otherwise..."We" all have been "Messed-Up!" The European knows about every thing that is discused here but they don't want "You" to know these things...because is "You" did...they would not be able to sale you on "White-Superimacy" any longer. Europeans love their home land and their white ancestors from europe...and most of us go to europe rather than Africa for vacations and there are some of us Africans who feel a closenes more so to Europe than we do to Africa...and some of "Us" feel a closenes more so to white America than we do Black America let alone Black Africa!

Ase`

I don't think continental African culture is superior. As I've said in my other posts, I think each group of Blacks can learn much from each other.

Many Africans I've talked to have great admiration for AA achievements. They really admire our bravery and especially our resilience in continuously standing up to the racist power structure. I've heard them mention this frequently. They also talk a lot about how they might be able to use some of our strategies at home in their countries to fight their often repressive regimes.

Likewise, I feel there are things AAs can learn from African culture. Instead of there being division between us, we could all benefit from focusing on the strengths of each group and build from there.

Riada said:
I don't think continental African culture is superior. As I've said in my other posts, I think each group of Blacks can learn much from each other.

Many Africans I've talked to have great admiration for AA achievements. They really admire our bravery and especially our resilience in continuously standing up to the racist power structure. I've heard them mention this frequently. They also talk a lot about how they might be able to use some of our strategies at home in their countries to fight their often repressive regimes.

Likewise, I feel there are things AAs can learn from African culture. Instead of there being division between us, we could all benefit from focusing on the strengths of each group and build from there.

Well said.

I think some may have a vision of mystique towards Continental African cultures because they are directly connected to their heritage, whereas we as African Americans have had to struggle to find an identity. In reality neither is more right or wrong than the other.

SAMURAI36 said:
OK, I'm glad you "quoted" me (even though pushing the QUOTE button isn't actually quoting anyone), so that I can feel free to quote you:

Uhmm, actually I don't have a problem with the terms "Continental and Diasporic" African cultures. Those are actually very appropriate terms.

Apparently you need to do alot more than read "between the lines", and actually take the time to actually read what has been said.

Uhmmm, that's WRONG. Very Wrong.

First off, I didn't use that term "RAP MUSIC" (you can't QUOTE me where I did any such thing)......I specifically used the term "Hip-Hop".

As such, HIP-HOP was created in BRONX, NY, in 1978. I know this, because I was there. That's where I was born. Soundview holdin' it down.

Wrong again. See above. Though I will admit, that many of the first MC's were indeed Jamaicans in NY.

I agree, that the art form known as the "Scat", along with the greats such as James Brown, was Southern in its/their origins, as it lent itself to the origins of Hip-Hop as we know it today.

However, a DJ in Hip-Hop is not the same as a "Disc Jockey" in the earliest terminology. The same as an "MC" in Hip-Hop is not that the same as an "MC" (master of ceremony).

Here is some history of the origination of Hip-Hop:

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761563537/Rap.html#s4

http://www.daveyd.com/raptitle.html

I didn't see anything about the SOUTH in either of these rather detailed exerpts.....Did you?

Stop trying to add something to that which was not there. That sounds like something that the White man does.

Uhmmm, I wouldn't respond in any form. Do you think you'd be the first to tell me that they despise African or Caribbean culture? As a matter of fact, I've grown up hearing that most of my life.

Apparently, the difference between me and others here, is that I'm not so easily affected by the feelings of others.

Nonetheless, one thing I am affected by, is the ignorance of others.

You made some severely erroneous statements about African culture earlier, to which I went to no great length to correct.

Instead of jumping to conclusions about what others say, I would suggest that you keep what YOU say in check.

As I recall, you were admonished about that before.

PEACE

Brother, firstly, I quoted you as saying you despised southern culture, and as the great preponderance of African American culture is southern in origin - yea even the slang term RAP, from which the music is derived, and which you have expressed a love for, I didn't need to quote you... RAP MUSIC is NOT HIPHOP... HIPHOP is NOT RAP... HIPHOP is the CULTURE from whence RAP became incorporated - and that didn't start in no 1978(smile!) Should I go further in destroying your obviously ignorant - as in ignorance of the facts - argument, brother??? I think I will...

You say that you were THERE in 1978, when HIPHOP was born??? Hmmmm, very interesting, because as a 17-year old I returned home from Naval Bootcamp in the spring of 1976 to see brothers with their home-constructed stereo equiptment, electrified by street lamp receptacles, cuing-off in the park across from the projects where I grew up in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn... I was there as a full-fledged young adult, and aint no way a guy who claims to be just 35 years old, or 12 years my junior was up in that joint without mama, son...(smile!) What were you in '78, little bruh, like 7 years old, or so.... Black man I was 19, and already a father of a small child... you think you gone TELL me what time it was, is, gone be??? THAT'S STUPID!

And I don't need no webpages to tell me what I personally experienced brother Samurai... YOU NEED that stuff, because you were NOT THERE, and you need to come clean... I have, personally, posted loads of information at this website on The Great BLack Migration - in fact, my very first post to this website was ithe Great Black Migration... This is of seminal importance, because at the turn of the last century, my brother, fully 90% of African Americans lived in the South... Sixty years later, only 55% of those African Americans lived in the south, and 45% lived in the North, with that 45% represented the movement of 7-million African Americans to northern cities... In 1890, my brother, 100,000 African Americans lived in NYC, and 69,000 of them were Black Southerners, who had traveled up the Atlantic Coast from Florida, through Georgia, the Carolinas, Virginia and Maryland aboard the Old Dominion shipping lines almost right out of slavery... 69,000 out of 100,000 represents 69% of the Black population in NYC in 1890, and what came to be called The Great Black Migration hadn't even begun yet!

Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, St Louis, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and every other major and minor city in the United States received similar influxes of southern African Americans in the first 70 years of the last century, making our population and culture an essentially southern one... As culture, my brilliant brother, does NOT create itself, but is an extension of the folk idioms and cultural traditions and trends of a people, to say you despise Souther Culture is to say, in effect that you despise the people who make the culture... Yet, you are writting as if what I said is a reach??? And then you got the nerve to call me ignorant you little joker???(smile!)

I'm gonna hit you off with some web pages and some reading material, because, brother, it is you that needs the education... I've done my research, and i've lived what you are failing miserably to try to explain...

LEGENDARY PIONEERS OF BLACK RADIO

http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/C5888.aspx

RADIO GREATS -featuring sound bites of Douglas Jocko Henderson, and legendary NYC D.J. FRANKIE HOLLYWOOD CROCKER, and their rhyming styles on air... There is not ONE of these MC's, as you called them, who grew up in this city that did not hear and admire this one of a kind original of the airwaves... The trouble with young people and their narratives is they often have ZERO knowledge of the history that proceeded them, hence you get the narrative of how RAP - even freakin' HIPHOP - started in the BRONX... BALONEY, BRO - from a cat who was, and still is, THERE!

http://home.eznet.net/~gc/radiogreats/

THE ACE FROM OUTER SPACE: DOUGLAS JOCKO HENDERSON This article was written by ya boy, DaveyD, the HIPHOP historian, whose page you are presenting to me as legitimate stuff... Let's see if you find this legitimate too(smile!)

http://www.daveyd.com/articlejockohenderson.html

VOICE OVER: THE MAKING OF BLACK RADIO, BY WILLIAM BARLOW

http://www.temple.edu/tempress/titles/1315_reg.html

JACK THE RAPPER GIBSON:THE FATHER OF BLACK RADIO i must admit that that title is inaccurate for Jack Gibson, but his nickname says it all... Do you know when this man bought the first Black-Owned Radio station in Atlanta in 1948 or '49, that was his nickname??? Neither did I - until I started to do my research... Oops, HipHop history revised in an instant(smile!)
Again, DAveyD wrote this piece - yo boy!

http://www.daveyd.com/articlejackrapper.html

I've actually got lots more stuff to present to you, but time does not permit... Besides, you aint gone read it no way... You stuck on stupid, and I don't care what moderators say about that... That's my opinion of you, and I'm stickin' to it... I'm a tax-paying citizen of this community, and I aint lettin' no carpet-baggin', free-loadin, samurai-swingin, mama-clingin', buffed-but-broke negro interrupt my flow... You wanna talk about how you despise African Americans, and our southern culture, then you perhaps need to start your own caribbean website, no???

Peace!
Isaiah

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back