Black People : Is community development constanly on your mind or just a passing thought?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    When you go to work each morning and see folks taking their children to school, are you concerned about what grade or quality of education they are getting?

When you take out the garbage are you arealy concerned about your neighbor when you say hello?

When the police allow drug traffic to flourish, so bad that children need someone to take them hme from school, and won't stop it until enough Black folks sell their homes and Whites move in, does that tick you off?

2. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    You see the point is that even though community involvement and activisim, is needed now more then ever, even if it is only 2 or three hours per week, we are dealing with 2 obstacles, complacency and the need for many to work 2 jobs and basically not haveing the time or the discretionary funds to volunteer or donate.
    However since this post was first mademany have been falsely imprisone, many have joine gangs or dropped out of high school, and many others have lost jobs or homes or both.
    Regardless of ones religious beliefs we are all Black and with the knoeledge of the present state of the vast majority or at least half of of Black families we realy need to take a serious , hard and strategic look at the term, it takes a village to raise a child.

3. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    back up

4. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    time is running out as the global economy declines and the unemlployment rates rise

5. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    what are folks realy focused on?

6. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    honestly....i dnt focus on these issues

7. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    bumped up

8. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771

I think of all these issues. I think about how to solve them.

But all I can do is talk to my friends and teach Capoeira! We keep drugs away from our streets and look out for our children. That is what we do.

AXE!

9. KMTSista

KMTSista Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +259
    That and I worry about the quality PARENTING they are getting, because when I was growing up, the parents and teachers worked together and parents were more active in setting the school systems straight, plus parents LISTENED to teachers if a child was misbehaving instead of going to the school to beat up the teacher.

Let's just put it this way, yes and no. I live in an apartment building and everyone stays pretty much to themselves, even though I try to make an effort to become aquainted with the couple across from my apartment and a few other neighbors on my floor, the rest no because they are the "other" persuasion.

Also my neighborhood has A LOT of gangs (MS-13) so I pretty much stay focused on getting to my car safely.

Yes, and it ticks me off even more because I was born and raised in DC and the city has turned from being 95% black to 75% white. Redlining, even though illegal, is still very much an issue

Other things in the community that's my mind as well is the lack of health care and proper nutrition, which, if you are poor, you get neither, but not realizing ways of eating within budget but eating the proper foods, i.e. fruits, veggies, water and legumes.

Now I am completely understanding about poverty and the cost of food, but if you can buy $500 rims, you can purchase foods to provide your temple proper nutrients. We need to set our priorities straight when it comes to spending money and what's important.

Going back to parenting, I would like us to go back to old school ways of thinking where we allowed our neighbors to watch our kids and kids had to be in the house before the street lights came on.

Now days, you can't say anything to someone's kids because the parents are just as bad.

What did Bernie Mac say? "Big Mama gone".

Also, we as black women need to allow these fathers to be a father to their children and stop letting our own personal issues get in the way.

I'm sorry but I've seen too much of this. Its not to say there aren't black men who aren't doing what they are suppose to be doing, so they have to step their game up as well, but I have seen a severe increase in good black fathers being treated badly and not being able to be the role model in their childrens lives because of "resentments". "Oh he has another woman now and I'm suppose to let him have the kids while he's around her". This is a common story and frankly, who gives a rats booty!? If the father is treating the children right and the woman is of sound mind, let it go!

And please stop cursing around your children, cause I swear they carry that mess into the streets and its embarrassing to hear 12 year old young black girls and boys on the train talking about subjects they shouldn't even know about and using foul language.

It starts with us

Whew, ok I'm done.

10. blkbutterfly41

blkbutterfly41 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +483
    Actually, I can say , Yes.

It has to start with the people that we have encounters with every single day. Regardless if it's at home, neighbors , co -workers, extended family members, etc.

Sometimes I think we feel it's in terms of "big" Where as I feel it's about consistency more then anything.

ie- When your on your way to work and you have encounters with children, or people with young children. How do you converse with them. If you play with kids ?? How do you play with them ?? Do we listen intensively to children, Respect them, value their words ?? Something as simply as walking pass a child. We can inventively engage in Mentoring and make an impact in that child's life or even their parents.

People learn best from other people. It's not always long term involvement or anything that may give us gratification . But the knowledge that we dropped seeds, that may fester and take off.

I think any time we have the opportunity to converse , its an opportunity to make an impact. I say, Run with it.
    :em2300:

Be innoventive. Times are getting rough.