Black People : Is college my judge?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Therious, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I

i READ THIS ARTICLE IN NEWS WEEK LAST YEAR. IT DOCUMENTED THAT BLACK WOMEN ARE INCREASINGLY "MORE SUCCESSFUL" THAN BLAK MEN. tHE REASONS THEY GAVE WERE BECAUSE MORE WOMEN ARE IN COLLEGE THAN MEN AS A RESULT MORE WOMEN IN CORPORATE AMERICA THAN BLACK MEN. PERSONALY WITH THE MASSIVE DEBT INVOLVED WITH "HIGHER EDUCATION" I BELIEVE THE REASONS ARE MORE PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO SEE THROUGH THE SCAM. DONT GET ME WRONG I AM ALL ABOUT KNOWLEDGE AND I BELIVE COLLGE IS GOOD FOR THOSE WHO CAN AFFORD IT OR DON'T MIND PAYING OFF LOANS. bUT I ALSO KNOW THAT BLACK MEN (AS WELL AS ALL MEN) HAVE BIGGER EGOES THAN BLACK WOMEN, AND AT THE SAME TIME CORPORATE AMERIKKKA IS SOMEWHAT LESS THREATENED BY BLACK FEMALES. I AM A HIGHSCHOOL DROP OUT, WHO HOLDS A G-.E.-D.(CHRIS ROCK PRONOUNCIATION) BUSINESS OWNERSHIP IS MORE PROFITABLE. aND THE LIBRARY IS LESS EBANK BREAKING THAN COLLEGE. i FURTHER SAY THIS ARTICLE IN THIS MAGAZINE WAS JUST ANOTHER LAME ATTEMPT TO DIVIDE BLACKS. WITH THAT BEING SAID i MIGHT TAKE A FEW CLASSES IN THE FALL/....LOL..................... MUCH LOVE TO MY SISTAS THOUGH

THERIOUS

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    About that newsweek article "From College, to Business, to Life, Black Women are becoming more successful than Black Men", I suspect it will be the subject of debate for many years to come. I applaud sistas who are doing well in life. :flirt: However, that article was filled and even based on a number of stereotypes, questionable conclusions drawn from statistics, and outright misconceptions. One of the most biggest claims of the article was skewed. Yes sistas are going to college more, and getting more degrees than brothas. However white women are going to college more than white men also. Why send out an alert to the black community, when it is in truth a societal trend? For one thing there are a greater number of black women in this country than men, so it is logical that they would be in college with greater numbers. Also the percentages for sistas getting degress (almost 17%) compared to degreed brothas (just past 16%) isn't so great that it deserves national exposure. If one also takes into account that we are looking at trends that only effect a minor portion of the black community (over 80% aren't college educated), it again isn't so critical that it deserves national exposure.

Besides this there were other disturbing claims in that article. It cited the number of black men in prison and on drugs as evidence that many brothers are not worthy of being good dating choices. This is an over-used and biased claim, because it assumes tha black women aren't also using drugs and going to jail. The claims of black men not being sutible dating prospects because of high rates of HIV are also biased, because if we go on statistics alone, there are more black women with HIV than black men. Indeed, according to the latest findings black women make up 80% of new HIV infections. Therefore going by "statistics" a black man has much more to fear with dating a black woman than vice versa. Finally the article interviewed several black female CEOs & entertainers (none of whom made less than $500,000 a year), on their difficulties in finding a black man on their income level. Hello? These women are millionaires!!! Of course they are having difficulty finding a black man on their income level, they'd also have a problem finding a white man on their income level. Bias pure and simple. This was an incredibly divisive piece.

I don't want to get side tracked tracked however, because your main question is college the only measure of success? No it isn't, and I say that as a college graduate. College is meant to provide one with the skill & training (education) to get the job they want in life. If a person can get the type of employment they seek without college, then it isn't a requirement that they go. However, I do advise people to consider thier longtime future when making that type of decision. As a 18-23 still living at home, and worrying about no one but themselves money may not be that big of a deal. However when you are 28+ and looking to start a family, that will be depending on you for a job. Then having a college degree, or vocational training beyond a high school level becomes more valuable. If one has the talent to become an entertainer (rapper, actor, baller) that is great; however, this isn't a realistic option for most people. In addition, if you aren't educated enough to understand a contract, then the possibility of you getting cheated out of your earnings is incredible (the music industry is filling with tales of brilliant artist getting cheated out of millions). I do encourage you to at least finish your GED Therious. Also if nothing else take some accounting & business law classes at your local community college. Have a backup plan if your rap career doesn't workout. Good Luck!

3. Kannte

Kannte Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    THE ACADEMY THE BASE OF SOCIAL CONTROL

"Plato, not only helped to, establish a theory of the human that would valorize "scientific" cognition, to the exclusion of other cognitive modes, but he established the Academy (university/college).

A characteristic assumption of Caucasian culture is that, association with "academia" (university/college), represents association with truth, superior reasoning capacity, impartiality or "objectivity" and a commitment to nothing other than, the supposed, "abstract truth."

The Caucasian "cognitive style" (u-tam-a-waz-o) became an extension of Plato-ism. Not only all Caucasian intellectuals, but ALL intellectuals would be trained in the Caucasian Academy (Plato's legacy). A testament to the success of white cultural supremism/imperialism.

The mode of the academy is still at the base of social control. The Academy (university/college) has preserved a cultural tradition, of a race of people, and a dominant society. The Academy ensures that the ideological intra-structure will remain intact."

--YURUGU: An African-Centered Critique of Caucasian Cultural Thought and Behavior by Sister Doctor Marimba Ani

4. Kannte

Kannte Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    "John Ruskin’s inspiration and devotion to the creation of an elite of race patriots derived directly from PLATO'S Republic. In the Republic, PLATO called for “a ruling class with a powerful army to keep it in power and a society completely subordinate to the monolithic authority of the rulers. Ruskin sent out to recoup and extend the influence of British Masonry. He wanted to do this by education of the working man. His views on the ruling class as developed from PLATO’s Republic, sent shock waves through Oxford.

“[You, the undergraduates are] the possessors of a magnificent tradition of education, beauty, rule of law, freedom, decency and self-discipline but...this tradition [can] not be saved, and does not deserve to be saved, unless it can be extended to the lower classes in England itself and to the non-English masses throughout the world. If this precious tradition is not extended to these two great majorities, the minority of upper-class Englishmen will ultimately be submerged by these majorities and the tradition lost. To prevent this, the tradition must be extended to the masses and to the empire.”

Ruskin’s rationale for proclaiming such ideas was to plant in the fertile minds of his Oxford students the theory that if they educated the working man and elevated him to the middle class, he would labor in behalf of the elite aristocracy to perpetuate the tradition of the upper-class Englishmen - which tradition was to control the finances of nations through ground rent, banking and trade.

Ruskin taught that it was the essential duty of the aristocracy to guarantee an education for the working man so that an expanded middle class would rule the country for the ruling ELITE. This arrangement would be a type of legal slavery whereby both classes would benefit. Through the power of finance, the ruling class would maintain control from behind the scenes, while the working class would have opportunity to share in the common wealth made available through loans."

Scarlet and the Beast: A History of the War Between English and French Freemasonary by John Daniel

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    PAN AFRICA

i feel you, just wanted to say though, i did my ged and attended some college. i decided bus ownership was a better route. don't get me wrong im not the "mtv" emcee type. i know ill probably never make alot of cash of my music thats not why im in it though. it's just college is so expensive and debt is not good especially for entrapreneurs.

peace....

that man therious

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm glad to hear that Therious! While I fully agree college isn't for everybody, I don't recommend ANYBODY go through life without a High School Diploma or GED. Good luck with your bus company, maybe you can give me a ride sometime.

7. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    good write!!

the answer to your thread: no, college is not your judge.
    lt's just that people are so systemized that they feel college is the
    only road towards making paper and getting a good job.
    lt does benefit, but any entrepreneur will tell you that success is first about
    taking risks and making sacrifices- the hardest part to being different and
    creative.

Congratulations on getting your G.e.d. Choose the route best for your goals
    and pursuits. Finishing school wont hurt unless you have a masterplan.

l'll get back to the other questions if time allows.

peace
    jh.

8. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    THANKS KANNTE I LEARNED FROM YOUR WRITTINGS PEACE. ONE