Black Spirituality Religion : Is Christianity Being Attacked In This Forum?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Destee, Sep 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Everyone,

It has been suggested that Christianity is under attack, an avid attack, in this forum. My question is sincere, as I have not seen this and would like the opinions of those who frequent here to share what your perception is, regarding this topic.

My whole mind-set, in creating this forum, was to provide a place where everyone is welcome, where none are set up and/or apart, a place of inclusion if you will. In the description for this forum, no mention of any faith/religion is made and those who don't believe at all are encouraged to participate. Well aware that there are many different religions and faiths, it was my hope that this forum, "Spirituality and Religion," would allow us to remove some of the barriers. Barriers, in my opinion, that has kept us from sharing, together, the things we believe individually.

I do recognize there are an overwhelming number of posts regarding Islam, but I thought that was simply because Members chose to share that information. I don't think posting one's belief/questions, in and of itself, implies an attack on other faiths and religions. Am I wrong?

Am I being naive? Is Christianity being attacked here (or anyone's faith, religion, sexual preference, color, etc.) and I don't even see it? Would you prefer having separate forums for all different faiths, religions and denominations?

Looking forward to your responses.

Destee

2. shaneak

shaneak Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Support engineer
    Ratings:
    +7
    Wow!!!! Destee...

I didn't know it was that serious. I haven't seen anything that so incriminating.. only educating. So if someone complains about posting of other religions.. giving them a broader view on things.. and they choose to keep a closed mind.. Well thats not our problem... I'm ready to learn!!!!

I like the way you handle things though!! Momma Destee!!! Keep up the great work!!!

Shaneak

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Thank you Shaneak for responding.

I was hoping I'd get some responses from those who felt it is being attacked (though I do appreciate your response, don't get me wrong!).

Religion is probably one of the most difficult topics to discuss publicly, as most everyone feels passionately about theirs and may oftentimes be conversing with those of opposing views.

Anyway ... this forum is about discussion and as long as we do it with respect and decency ... I don't have a problem with it.

Destee

4. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    This forum does appear to be dominated by Islamic and Egyptian beliefs. However, that's because a Christian might feel intimidated about posting in this atomosphere for fear of being drawn into senseless debates. There's just something about the name Jesus, that brings a rise out of some people like you would not believe. If you shake a hornet's nest you are bound to be stung even if you shook it unintentionally.

But then as you said, as long as everyone treat each other with respect, everyone should be able to get along. I've been in a heated/friendly discussion with :argue: Sekhemu but we respected each other...thus I do believe if I lived in his city, he would take me out for a cup of coffee. We've agreed to disagree and still remain on speaking terms...at least for now anyway...you know how fickle men can be sometimes. :roll:

5. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yall get an Amen Choir on this one. I aint Christian but I feel ya.

6. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I don't know if christianity is being attacked, but I do think it's being challenged. Many brothas and sistahs have come to the realization that our ancestors are very important to us, and that their own traditional beliefs were stripped away from them.

Moreover, there has been a thorough indoctrination of blacks on the parts of whites to embrace a religion based on their(white) interpretatio. Hence in most black churches we find a white Jesus. So that when many of the people on this board he're Jesus, it conjures....no pun intended, an image of a white man. To me this image represents an archetype of racial superiority. An image burned into the minds of black people since slavery.

7. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    You made some very strong points on how many blacks feel about christianity. This to me, is especially sad because Jesus was not a white man but a man of color. How could He have lived among Egyptians for 3 years, in hiding if He had been a white man? He and His parents (Mary & Joseph) would have easily been discovered and returned to Herod for torment and death. Here in America the Egyptians are portrayed as white people along with their white Jesus. A study of Egyptian history proves otherwise, yet programs like National Geographic will continue to portray these great people as caucasians :uhoh: . Whites are a people that MUST have everything look like them or close to them in order to accept it. I wonder how many whites would still love Jesus Christ if they found out He was black.

Unfortunately, many blacks will never know that the Egyptian people were NEVER white people but black people. They will never know that most of the people in the bible are black people. Many don't even realize that Israel is part of the continent of Africa. The white man wants the world to believe, he "fathered" civilization in the land of Africa...how unfortunate that so many blacks are turning away from something (the bible) that they have such rich history in...very unfortunate. But for those :grouphug: who have look past the barriers of race to embrace the truth which in and of itself bears no color, salvation through Jesus :jumping: (no matter what His color) is not nor ever will be in vain or in chains.

Joyce

8. IssaEl22

IssaEl22 Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    Raahubaat

I Don't Feel As If Any Religion Is Being Attack . I Enjoy Reading About Diffrent Culture / Religion, This Is The Only Way One Can OverStand Other Culture / Religion / Belief . For I Reads El' Holy Torah And El's Holy Quraan And The Dead Sea Scroll Etc.. To Have A Better OverStanding Of Ones Belief ..To OverStand The Almighty Is To OverStand The Positive And Negative Of Every Individual ; You Cannot Love The Creator If You Do Not Accept The Postive And Negative In Every Individual ; You Are Not Applying The Principle Of The Creator In You . Because Obviously He Accepts The Good AndBad From Us . Can I Get A Amen / Ameen :read:

9. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Amen and Ameen both....

Much Peace,
    Akilah :peace:

10. rasheed

rasheed Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    working for Paradise (Jannah)
    Ratings:
    +4
    i see some "attacks" and challenges to Christianity, Islam, "Traditional African Beliefs" and others posted here and i love it. Separate forums would not have the same educating effect. This is a great forum, not for the easily offended, nor the ones basking in the thought that their particular way is the only way or the superior way.....i admit that some of the contributions are way too verbose for me and some way over my head and i just don't read them or under nor over stand them......and i add, many of them i just our right disagree with.....

The forum is perfect the way it is for me....and my curiosities and my seeking to better myself in my "way of life", Religion and my quest to better see where we came from, where we are now and what the future holds.....

Destee, thanks to you and to all the contributors, both the arrogant ones and the humble ones the ones who think they've got all the answers and salvation sewed up through whatever means and the ones who seek to go upon the straight path......

i've been blessed to get educated here about some things i would have had to have labored longer and harder to find and perhaps would have missed altogether or had to pay a "pretty penny" for...

This is a marvelous university setting...................

Peace and Blessings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.