Black People : Is Black Lit Dead?

Thandiwe

Mar 30, 2001
Minnesota
yep!

Those are just the books that I have read lately. ;)

The list I have are just books that really stand out in my mind, deal with things I have or people around me...

The Anansi spider, I have been introduced to him by the black young storytellers I am now working with. ;) Actually storytelling in general. My son will make a great one. He has memorized some of the stories from the performances we attend. and he is SUCH THE TALKER!!! :D ;)
So he is helping to help me gain exposure to that which I have been before.

I'm thirsty for knowledge...even those that comes from children. ;)

If some come to mind, and this is open to all, please list them here.

BTw, Debbie Allen has done a couple of children books that I adored, has some hip-hop flavor and I also read my son by Maya Angelou. I enjoyed them more than he did. I'll se if I can get those titles. So perhaps Wis, I have more information than you do and this matter of children books.

nexis5

Apr 16, 2001
Enjoying the discussion. Really

Wisdom, I read Paul Betty's TUFF and his semi autobiographic WHITE BOY SHUFFLE. I like his word usage. TUFF is about thug type person with a little street credit in his early 20s who decides to change his life and run for city council.

TUFF made me think about CWD. Tuff made me also think about everyday people. What I was doing was putting faces of people I met or seen around town on the character.

I liked E. Lynn Harris's - If This World Were Mine. What drew me to it was that the text was told from each characters point of view via a journal entry. (Basil is a trip) Its almost like a soap opera.

Okay. How do I hear about books? I'm a magazine/bookstore perusing junkie at times. In the case of BELL HOOKS I noticed that she publishes articles/books in a multi-disipline fashion. If I see a face and a name more than once in different magazines and the subject matter interests me I'll peek in or go find works.

Thandiwe

Mar 30, 2001
Minnesota
Ain't he Though

That Basil is something else!!! You gotta love to hate him. I've read all five of the e lynn books. "Up all nighters", however I thought the last one was kinda anti-climatic.

We'd have a good time at a bookstore. I particularly like the used section at Barnes and Nobles.

Thandiwe

Mar 30, 2001
Minnesota
BTW...

Wisdomseed, one of your favorites people is writing a novel. I get a preview of course. That would be Gregory B Williams. {don't say it, however knowing what I know, it's shall be interesting. you might like this one.}

{{{{{{{Thandi thinks, "I might have to get a job in promoting. ;) }}}}}}

WisdomSeed

Apr 16, 2001
Chicago
Your are right, I do not like gregory b williams and I really have no want to read a book by him.

Yes, I do consider my book a novel. You know more about childrens books true, I am loathe to even think about what make a childrens book worth anything. As far as I am concerned there is only one book that children should have to read and that is Charlotte's Web, well that and Green Eggs and Ham. Afte rthey read them, they can read the newspaper like everyone else.

When I was a child, I just liked reading fairy tales. I have no idea of what a child could read that would make them want to read. I really didn't care for black children's books. My life was boring enough, I did not want to read about it in a book. I wanted to read about what I was not, what I could not be, stuff that would take my imagination and run with it.

I guess it is just me, I really do not want to read about folks relationships or the pangs of the love. When I think about books that I really enjoyed reading, they just were not about affairs and **** like that. I like books where people's lives fall apart. I read a book called Affliction, I loved the hell out of it. Beloved, I loved that book too as well as Song of Solomon. That is the thing about Toni Morrison as a writer that you do not see in other black writersm her characters fall the **** apart and it is a joy to be that close and watch it happen. James Baldwin accomplished that too, but in a different way. I'll bet that August Wilson does it as well, which is why only the black bourgeois go to see his plays, while the proletariat are lined the hell up to see "Yo Mama's man's Preacher wants you to sing and shout in the Beauty Shop of Horrors"

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.
Ms Drea wrote on yahsistah's profile.
Welcome Back Sister!!
Love and Blessings!!
Hey Sister Destee just logged in to say Love you and miss you much! Hope you are well.
Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss: