Black People : Is being a teacher still worth it these days?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Nfant_De_Milieu, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    After spending a little over a year in dead end job I decided for a career change. I am currently teaching middle school and wondering if this headache is worth $28k a year. When I am able to isolate the trouble-makers things are fine in class, but usually the kids just want to play. The kids dress better than the teachers, if I am not telling them not to touch each other I am saying "shut up and sit down"! The middle school girls are so aggressive. It is a shame what these females students say to me. At schools these days the student has all the power. Let the student say you did something to him or her and your name will be in the local paper.

Little time is spent teaching, most of it will be for discipline. It is as if the youth is lost. On the other hand, it was fascinating when I was telling the children I could teach them how to build their own pc or webpage the class was totally silence! Their full attention was mine.

Now I see why there is a huge teacher shortage. I just make enough money to be poor but I am expected to make miracles in the classroom. Is teaching still worth these days????

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I would say yes for reasons as such you stated above , with our children
    becoming more out there and with the hard core , the fine dressing in all
    as teachers to teach the common ground of life and what they need maybe
    the school system need to enteract more with parents on students i agree
    now days these kids ruling to a point but only what is allowed some just can't
    take the stressing of trying to get some to learn , we have so many kids now
    going to school to play and horse around or make a fashion statement we need
    teachers badly but we also need the parents to get involve more at schools
    yes it's still worth it because so many children need them and to advance in
    the mind to the next level in life it can be a pain but worth it if everyone work
    together we can turn out some great lawyers / Doctors / Judges / more Teachers
    and powerful political names our teachers make a different in our children forth
    coming and growth .......yes Teachers worthy still and it's worth it still.

3. daroc

daroc Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    i thikn this is a good question.. somin i kept askin myself when i was tryin to decide to change my major.... whether or not their is still a signifancant place for teacher s and what their roles are now in our society....

i cant really answer the question.. but i can add to it... wat difference does a teacher play when it comes ot subject and school- meanign college/ high or history/math.......

4. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    I work in youth lock up and in the school system; they knew my ground rules,
    On the job for 10 years had one fight break out. So it can be done
    Just have to learn a way to do it. Don't give up on them but find a
    common ground, to teach them. Some or most kids look for attention
    that they dont get at home so they act out.

Then it’s the discipline in the classroom, I believe it is up to
    The teacher that first day of school to set ground rules, but
    Also remember the kids/students have rights some teachers forget that,
    and again I say: Don't give up on them but find a common ground, to teach them.

The experience I have had, It is also the willingness
    of the student wanting to learn and teacher wanting to teach.

Far as dressing they have uniforms/dress codes in my city,
    So those problems don’t occur.

5. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Good question

and some very gr8 points. Teachers are over worked and underpaid. My mother is a teacher and I too was going to school to become a teacher, but I had a wonderful opportunity to work in a program where I was getting first hand what teaching is really like. I agree, you spend alot of your time trying to get them to behave. That's one reason why I am going to finish school and become a teacher. I see too many teachers that sit and collect that check and don't really care about the children that come thru their classroom. Our schools need people that will make a difference. Our children need teachers who really care. Maybe one day the pay will catch up with the hard work good teachers put in everday.

6. define

define Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    This is coming from the perspective of a former High School student. It wasn't long ago that I was in Middle School.

Yes, it is worth it. If you can teach one child one thing, then you have done your job. You will probably change that student's life in the long run when he or she grows up to be an adult. Some students do not have role models or anyone to look up to except their teachers. They yearn for someone to idolize and teach them. They yearn for attention so they do bad things to get disciplined. They want someone to see that they exist. In my life, teachers who the most important figures I ever had, and without them, I don't know where I would be as a person. Peaces

7. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think it's worth it if you're doing it for the joy of teaching and not for the money. You have to love doing it because there is a lot of work and stress and not much of a financial incentive. Teachers are very important to human growth and should be paid as such. :read:

8. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    If a man/woman really has the heart and desire to teach then it's worth it. But the pay sucks and for the most part it is one of the most underappreciated jobs around.

I had several issues at my daughters school during her junior year of highschool. One teacher told my daughter's class that he wasn't a good teacher and had to do a better job or he'd be fired. Then proceeded to say he'd come to each of their homes to surprise their parents. This was on the first day of class!! I couldn't help but ask my daughter what he meant by surprising parents - I mean what did he really expect to find if he came to our homes?

Times like that I feel a person should choose not to teach. When I finally met him face to face, it was because by the first mid quarter report he'd flunked 90% of the class all because he wanted them to write a thesis on something and yet he never told them what a thesis was! The highest score for that assignment was a D...and he was bragging about those students who achieved such a high mark!

When I met with the school board about this teacher, I was told that they knew he was a bad teacher but they couldn't fire him because there are not enough teachers out there to replace "bad teachers" so most schools keep getting stuck with teachers who don't want to teach. It's a messed up cycle.

9. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I enjoy being there with the kids but sometimes they make you want to scream! Most of the kids are good except for a few bad apples. It really would help if the parents were more involved. A lot of good points given and they were surely taken and needed! :) Oh well, another day in the books. Time to call some parents!!!

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I agree get the parents involve with the child/children activity at school
    the study hall can be a great common place for teachers & parents with
    the student to meet and we as parents need to get more into the school
    system and our children work ethics / reading / spelling / math the majors
    ones make the call !!!!