Science and Technology : is apple a cult?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by jamesfrmphilly, May 27, 2009.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    my neighbor has a mac. he got all kinds of **** hooked up to it.
    i asked him why he use mac and he said he just like it better.
    i have never been able to get a technical answer from apple people.
    they got no good reason, they just like it.

ain't that a cult?

2. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    I say

that once you go Mac you never go back. I was a pc fiend for years, so intimidated by a Mac, but then I bought one, and it's my best technical friend.
    The OS is more intuitive, like being able to drag and drop applications, remove software, not to mention that most viruses on the web are written for Windows OS, so it leaves your mac out of the craziness.

What else can I say a about the Mac? Oh yeah, plenty of free applications, better GUI, and overall better performance in hardware. Although, when parts go down, it helps to be able to service it yourself. Like I upgraded my memory, and installed a new harddrive, all for under $150. If I had to pay for service, the techs charge $90 / hour, whereas a pc can be serviced for half of that.

3. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    that's the only articulate response i have gotten...

why can't mac people talk? why did you make the jump? any problems?

4. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    The Mac is a very good Computer. I primarily used it for video edting and sound editing. Also at my company our desktops are macs, our boss loves them.

I do not believe they are a cult, it is just a group of folks who love to use Macs and I am one of them.

5. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    when i was getting into the architecture, i found that the motorola chipset used three separate clocks and voltages, compared to the intel chipsets' one clock and one voltage (well, the board uses one voltage, but drives need the 12 volts). since i was very new to the whole science, i went with the easier to deal with intel chipset families.

that multiplicity of clocks and voltages allowed different things to be going on at the same time in different subsystems of the mother board. this has always proven helpful when doing graphic or audio editing. (sort of like the scsi bus where a job is passed off to a subsystem while the rest of the machine gets on with whatever else it needs to be doing. when that task is finished, it tosses an interrupt request back into the system and gets it's turn to dump the results of whatever it was doing.)

actually, there does seem to be an active "cult of the mac" amongst the mac fans that gets almost as vociferous as the "battle" between vi and emacs or sports fans.

i kinda keep wanting to check out a mac, but for as long as i've been doing puting (79 or so), they've always seemed sort of "left handed" or something. <shrug> i'd still consider, well, more than that; if i could afford to get into a mac i more than likely would ... it would still seem "left handed" (ironically, pretty much how i feel about linux, actually), but at least the kernel of the os is based on open source which makes it much easier to actually "own" one's own puter. (i.e.; if there is something about the os that you want to change, you can do so.)

motorola/macintosh optimized for multimedia; intel/pc's optimized for business.

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    macs use intel now

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
  8. dexxtreme

dexxtreme Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I like Macs. I don't own one, and I have never personally done any significant amount of work on one, however several of my coworkers use Macs, and they appear to be very good machines.

First off, they put a lot more work into their hardware designs. They just look better and are built better than just about any Windows machine you can get. Also, don't let those new Windows commercials fool you. Most Macs are fairly powerful machines, and usually run the same processor and RAM as a mid-grade to high-end PC.

Secondly, the software just works. Very rarely do you ever hear about the OS crashing. Granted, you do hear about it every once in a blue moon, but nowhere near as often as your standard Windows machine. That is because Apple keeps very tight control over the hardware, OS, and device drivers that go into the system, so much so that everything has to be rigorously tested to prevent crashes. Using Parallels, a Mac can run a full copy of Windows (at the same time it is running a full copy of OSX) just as well (or even better) than a regular PC.

Third, the integration between Apple devices is exceptional. One of my coworkers was able to perform a full reinstall of his Mac Air (no OS, only the BIOS was running) by connecting over wireless to the DVD drive in his iMac. He was also able to control the iTunes on his iMac using his iPhone.

The only negative about Macs is the fact that they usually cost a lot more. However, their resale value is usually fairly high (due to the high quality of manufacturing), and in many cases, someone will sell their current Mac on eBay and use that money to help buy their next one.

9. free2b_me

free2b_me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10
    Loyal cult follower

:geek:The Mac is where it's at right now with technology, period dot. :toast:I love my iMac so much that when I purchased mine, I maxed out on the hard drive with the 1TB (1000G) and 4G ram memory and to top it off I got the 24 inch screen wireless keyboard and mouse (just gotta keep charging them batteries):em0200:. (sighs) I won't be needing another computer for a long time. I love that fact that I can down load things much faster, navigate between multiple screens and run multiple programs at the same time while listening to iTunes, without skipping a beat. I can't remember when my computer froze because my PC contracted some kind of virus and having to do a reset to a previous date on my computer because it was running better two weeks ago.

But I think apple does have a cult like following. Lol, it's the bomb, you just have to use/get one to know what I mean.

At one point I didn't think there was any other kind of computer but a PC, and when I got my convertible notebook, I was so happy when it came, and now I am more happy to see it gone.:geek:

10. free2b_me

free2b_me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10