Black Spirituality Religion : Is African Spirituality Evangelistic or Cultural?

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
After reading this article I naturally begin to wonder can the same be said of ATRs?
http://www.native-languages.org/religion.htm

Can I sit up in my living room with no connection to any afro-centric spiritual community and practice true African spirituality based on what I've read on the internet or in a RUNA book?

In light of the posts I left in Love Unknown's thread this question may not seem to make a lot of sense. But for the sake of discussion and exploring our ideas I think it's one that should be asked.

river said:
After reading this article I naturally begin to wonder can the same be said of ATRs?

Can I sit up in my living room with no connection to any afro-centric spiritual community and practice true African spirituality based on what I've read on the internet or in a RUNA book?

In light of the posts I left in Love Unknown's thread this question may not seem to make a lot of sense. But for the sake of discussion and exploring our ideas I think it's one that should be asked.

I must say NO.

There is that old saying about It take a Village to raise children so this is an impossibility without a Spiritual COMMUNITY.

Remember, COMMUNALISM is a basic lifestyle amongst numerous Traditional, African societies/cultures.

As far as I am concerned, "systems of religion" are to Spirituality as "systems of educaton" are to Learning: they both get in the way and twist things.
river said:

"African Spirituality", like "Native American Spirituality", would require that one immerse oneself within that cultural community. One will not find "THE Answer" studying what has been written about the subject. One can, hopefully, find enough fuel for thought to help one to find one's own SpiritualSelf.
the linked article said:
go physically to their tribe and re-connect with their other descendants. It will be hard work convincing the people there that you are genuine but if you go with humility and patience you will eventually be accepted, and that is the ONLY way you will ever become part of the spiritual tradition you desire. There is no shortcut to that. Native spirituality belongs only to the cultural group,

On the other hand, there is only InnerSpirituality (IS): Spirituality is that "Primordial Forest" that gets lost in the "religionistic truthiness" of their particular brand of the "One True Tree". "Native"/"Traditional" "systems of belief"/"religions" do their best to "articulate that which is beyond articulation", but when they are all boiled down to their "Essence" they are all talking about that same "Forest".

Like that "Axe of Knowledge", "it's in there": both can only be found within the "skin sack" we are born into which contain ALL the tools that will EVER be needed to deal with ANYthing ever encountered in ANY environment that that skin sack can get to.

BTW; interesting website link - thanks! Something like that would look very cool in an African flavor!

anAfrican said:
As far as I am concerned, "systems of religion" are to Spirituality as "systems of educaton" are to Learning: they both get in the way and twist things.
"African Spirituality", like "Native American Spirituality", would require that one immerse oneself within that cultural community. One will not find "THE Answer" studying what has been written about the subject. One can, hopefully, find enough fuel for thought to help one to find one's own SpiritualSelf.

On the other hand, there is only InnerSpirituality (IS): Spirituality is that "Primordial Forest" that gets lost in the "religionistic truthiness" of their particular brand of the "One True Tree". "Native"/"Traditional" "systems of belief"/"religions" do their best to "articulate that which is beyond articulation", but when they are all boiled down to their "Essence" they are all talking about that same "Forest".

Like that "Axe of Knowledge", "it's in there": both can only be found within the "skin sack" we are born into which contain ALL the tools that will EVER be needed to deal with ANYthing ever encountered in ANY environment that that skin sack can get to.

BTW; interesting website link - thanks! Something like that would look very cool in an African flavor!
In other words spirituality is the source and the system is the resource. While I may not have the resource I still have the Source.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back