Is 3 Meals A Day Too Much?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by river, Jan 13, 2006.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Ever since I started this shool two weeks ago I've been eating the three meals a day they serve.

But the other day when it was time for dinner I just felt like I was still full from lunch--from all the food I'd been eating for the last two weeks, in fact. So I decided to pass dinner.

I've been passing dinner for three days now and I don't feel as tired and sitting at the computer all day in class doesn't give me the headache it did before. Plus I have more time to study and talk to my favorits family. I woke up this morning not feeling particularly starved even though I hadn't eaten since yesterday noon then I went to take an exam this morning and my mind was so clear I scored an easy 93.

Where did we get this three meals a day thing?

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    If you are getting headaches AFTER eating then you most likely are eating too much at a particular setting. Three meals are fine if they are in moderation..I generally try to eat ONE meal a day and one or two mini-meals..and usually eat a MEAL (ONLY) in the event that I DO get a headache...For example, I try to eat a lite breakfast, a heavier lunch, then a lite dinner...I NEVER eat meat more than twice a day, and if I do, never eat dinner after 7pm so that my food will metabolize and be used as fuel while I sleep...but those of us who spend long hours at the PC...3 meals a day is too much unless we find time to exercise at least 30 minutes each day...

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    With that said...time to hit the treadmill...Lol!

4. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    They have a physical conditioning room here but I stopped using it because I had to wake up so early in the morning and found myself falling a sleep in class. But things are a little different now. I bought a thing of honey to use in my oarmeal or cream of wheat or grits instead of the table sugar they have and I can get to bed ealier now so if I'm not stuffed from a big dinner maybe waking up early miight not cause me to fall asleep. I'ma try it and see what happens because I do feel good after I excercise.

5. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Never skip meals.
    Have three healthy meals a day
    one protein
    one veggie
    and one starch
    Have two healthy snacks in between so you will not overeat at mealtime.
    I have just recently lost 50 pounds doing this and working out 5 times a week.

6. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I think Fard Muhammad brought the "one meal a day" concept to the forefront in the West.

Everyone I know who promotes and practices it is either IN or HAS BEEN in the Nation of Islam.

No other people anywhere in the world seems to voluteer eating one meal a day unless it's out of poverty and/or famine.

I don't know if those who've practiced this have proven to live longer or be healthier than anybody else.

I try to eat about 2 good meals a day and that's enough to satisfy me.

As a side note.......
    About half of the population is gluten intolerant so eating wheat products such as breads, pastas, cereals, ect...will make you tired, bloated, and give you stomach aches.

7. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I used to eat one meal a day with maybe a small snack for dinner. Now I eat two. What matters ultimately is your health, you're satiated and you're at a healthy weight.

I didn't know Islam had a religious basis for it though, which I think is interesting. What is the spiritual reasoning for this type of eating style?

8. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    It's not a generally Islamic practice....it's mostly taught within the Nation of Islam sect with followers of Elijah Muhammad.

They say eating one meal a day gives the stomach time to rest and allows for all the toxins to clear the body before the next meal.
    I believe he taught eating one meal every other day will allow you to live over a hundred or several hundred years.

In orthodox Islam howerver these is no restriction on the number of meals eaten in a day....except for Ramadan when no food is to be eaten during daylight hours.

9. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    In his book How To Eat to Live the honorable Elijah Muhammed tells us that although most Americans live to eat we should eat to live. So it is less about some spooky "spiritual" reason and more about what the Nation of Islam believes Allah has shown us about maintaining good physical health. Since our bodies are the vehicals of our spirits in the earth it makes sense to me that the Creator would be concerned about the vehical as well as about the passengers and the journey.

Here is an online version of the book
    http://www.seventhfam.com/temple/books/eattolive_one/eat1index.htm

I'm not saying I agree with everything in this book but this is fyi

10. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks. I'll take a look at it.