Black Short Stories : Irony

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by Dior Robynsonne, May 19, 2004.

1. Dior Robynsonne

Dior Robynsonne Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    He watched his Grandmother standing in the hot kitchen, cooking an array of down-home southern foods.
    Grandmother's kitchen always smelled wonderful and homey.
    He began to dream and was soon lost in thoughts about the good eating that would take place in a short time.

"Donte, go wash your hands baby, food's 'gon be ready in a minute."

"Yes mam'am madea." I say.

I skip off quickly toward the bathroom just as someone knocks on the front screen door. I hear madea mutter an 'Oh lawd,' as she goes to the door.

I wash my hands and rush back to the kitchen, taking my place near the stove. Our guest turns out to be Sis. Luatrice Robinson or Sis. Lu as we call her. Sis. Lu is one of the messiest women in the church...or so I've heard madea say. She tends to everyone else’s business and never pays much to her own.

"Well the good Lawd be praised! Donte you sho' is getting to be a fine man." She says smiling big and looking from me to madea. "Lawd, Helen, I do believe you now have a little man on your hands now."

Madea chuckles, never turning away from her pots.

"Well Lu, what brings you over today?" She asks.

"Well as you know my grandbaby Kenneth is going to be singing back up for Mavis Staples on their tour." Sis Lu says smiling proudly. Madea wipes here hands on her apron and turns around.

"Well now Lu, that is some good news to hear. I'm proud of Ken. The Lawd 'don blessed that baby with a wonderful instrument."

"Tell me about it." Sis. Lu says smiling even more broadly. I can peer into her mouth and see where her dentures began.

"Yes Lawd, my baby is going to be bigger than anyone I know." She chuckles and nods to herself. Madea steals an exasperated look at me and faces Sis. Lu again.

So Ken is going to be a background singer? I think to myself. Well I am happy for him. He's been wanting to sing professionally since we were children. See I'm 20 years old and staying the summer with Madea. Kenneth is the same age with me and we both sing. Now let his grandmother tell it; Kenneth is the town's number one singer and talent resides no where else but in his throat.

I can sing and of course madea knows this, but she's doing the Christian thing and like she says, 'baby, always nod and smile with those you can't particularly stand."

"Well I’m so proud of Ken, Lu. Send him over later this evening so I can give him a little something." Madea says.

"Nah, Helen that’s ok. You keep your money. My baby is going to be making big bucks soon enough and he wont need our little change." She says laughing and tapping madea on the arm.

Madea's face falls quickly but she catches herself and forces laughter.

*~Meanwhile~*

"God...what can I do? What can I do?"

He sits quietly in the corner of his room, tears streaming soundlessly down his face.

He gets up and walks toward the mirror. Standing before his dresser he takes in his appearance.
    Puffy eyes, snotty nose, his face contorted with some inner pain.

Kenneth glances at all of the awards littering his dresser and pushes them to the floor.

"God what can I do..." he wails hoarsely.

You see Kenneth has been dealing with this inner struggle for many years. About eight years ago Kenneth discovered that he had an attraction for men.
    And at that time he brushed it off as just a phase he was going through, but about three years ago Kenneth was confronted with the same thing once more and this time it was a situation that couldn't be avoided.

Kenneth thought back to the night he and cousin's finance were home alone chilling, watching TV and talking. To make a long story short the night was a night full of revelations; the biggest, was Anthony revealing to Kenneth he was attracted to men. That shocked Kenneth because of course Anthony was a masculine man, a real thug, and Kenneth had been recently trying to cope with the emergence of those same old feelings he assumed had passed years back.

That night Kenneth received two things: A drunken Anthony forcefully raping him and the knowledge that he was truly attracted to men.

After that things seemed to progressively go downhill.

There was Kenneth putting on mask after mask. One for his public life, one for church, and one for his private life.

He remembers the many nights spent in the arms of various men, for those spaces of time the pleasure was intense and great. Always half searching for fulfillment and a way out, but only finding momentary fulfillment when he would bust a nut.

His tear came even harder as he reminisced. The way out was fastly beginning to take shape in his mind. He began to think about his grandmother and how he had tried to please here over the years. She had taken care of him since his parents death when he was three. And he spent most of his life striving to make her proud and live up to here expectations. It didn't help that she loved to brag about him in excess. He would always nearly die trying.

He thought about his grandmother and the upcoming tour with Mavis Staples simultaneously. Yes it was one of his best dreams, but it was one that was fastly taking on the status of pipe dream.

A resurgence of fresh pain washed over him and he wailed deeply from his bones. "God, what can I do?"

The pain was becoming unbearable and the knowledge too much of a burden. He didn't know how long he could hold on.

You see Kenneth had just found out from a real good and close friend that the man he had just been involved with had left him with more than 'good' memories. Kenneth was the host to full blown AIDS!

His vision began to blur with tears as his head was assailed by a throbbing headache.

He saw the bottle sitting on the corner of his grandmother's bedside table from her room across from his. He felt the pull and began to walk toward it.

*~Meanwhile~*

"Lu you might as well stay and eat since the food is done." Madea says getting up and heading towards the cabinets for plates.

"Aww, Helen God bless your heart. I think I will since you insist."

Grandmother moves to collect plates and forks etc.
    "Donte, you ought to get my baby to help you with your singing." Sis Lu says.

...Kenneth walks into her room and picks up the bottle of Morphine pills. He heads back to his room and closes the door. His reasoning tells him this is the only way...

"Lu, the Lawd will exalt Donte when the time is right and don't you worry baby, my grandchild can sing a blind man into seeing." She glances at me and winks with a smile.

...He wastes no time popping the top and pouring six pills into his hand. The tears fall relentlessly. Inside himself, the restraint he was hoping for isn't present. He places three in his hand and puts his hand to his mouth. He swallows...

Madea sets the plates of Smothered Pork Chops, cabbage, rice, black-eyed peas and corn bread down on the table. Sis. Lu is now talking about Mrs. Fontaine's daughter Roshawn and how she thinks the girl is too fast.

"I'm telling you Helen, she aint nothing but a ***-in-training. And Linda had better rope her in before she gets into trouble. Lawd! I'm glad my baby aint involved in that type of carrying on."
    Madea looks at me, frustration on her face, but she turns around with a nod to Sis. Lu; while concentrating on serving the food.

...He's now swallowed all six. He lays on his grandmother's bed, curled up in the fetal position. His tears just falling with no end. 'It's better this way.' he thinks to himself. He feels the quick numbness spreading through out his body. He begins to feel sleepy and it seems like the pain is dulled...

"Yes Lawd, my baby graduated at the top of his class, and thats more than I can say for Marie Evers's son. He made it to the 12th and then got that girl pregnant. I'm so glad to the savior that my baby aint in that type of mess."

Grandmother only rewards her with various umhmm's and uuhnnn's. We continue to eat in silence and listen.

...He's barely awake. He feels every muscle in his body relaxing and he feels the end approaching. 'What have I done?' he thinks to himself. With barely enough strength, he hoarsely and weakly speaks. "God, I’m so sorry." He sinks into a permanent sleep...

Three days later the whole community attended the funeral of Kenneth Lavon Robinson. He was twenty years old.
    That day was a day of discoveries. Sis. Lu found him dead on her bed when she returned home. It was discovered that he had taken not six morphine pills. It was an established suicide.

Sis. Lu's grief was great, but she was never prepared for what the doctor told her later.
    It seemed that Kenneth had a full blown case of AIDS not to mention the information about his 'secret lifestyle' she found in his room later on.

The funeral was a beautiful, but tragic ending to a fresh life of someone so sweet and wonderful. Everyone said so, but for the first time in many years one of the church ladies noted;

Sis. Luatrice Robinson didn't have a word to say!

~*Finis*~

Copyright 2004 Anno Domini/ "Earth's Wynne" Publishing
    ~Dior X. Robynsonne

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    very awesome write love da story here

3. Dior Robynsonne

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much sir.

4. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    a life lesson n story form, well thought out & nicely done.

:look:

5. Dior Robynsonne

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you ever so much. I appreciate it greatly

6. Luv2beLuved

Luv2beLuved Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    :cry: Touched a nerve there. I remember a young lady my age commited suicide after being diagnosed with AIDS.
    The story was nicely done. :read:

7. Dior Robynsonne

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for your love. God bless

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    we want more waiting on pt.2 to dis here
    had to read it again ....mo mo mo !!!!

9. Dior Robynsonne

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks honey. Unfortunately this is indeed a short story and that was the ending of it. I am getting ready to spin another one. Thanks for the love.