Black Authors : Invisible Man

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by twashing, Aug 2, 2005.

1. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Recently, I reread "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison. This is something that I read when I was an early teenager, but didn't quite get it. James Baldwin's "Go Tell It From the Mountain" was the pivotal book for me in my teenage years. It let me know that mine was a real and powerful story. And there were othere characters going through the same complexities as me.

Having travelled a bit through life now, "Invisible Man" hit like a hammer. It perfectly described many of the feelings of alienation I feel in Western society. I think this was written in the Harlem Renaissance and it is STILL relevant!!!

Is anybody interested in reading this book online? I know it helped me deal with a lot of BS that I know we all face.

-- tim

ps - For some reason, I want to tell people to go watch "Watermelon Man" as well. Melvin Van Peebles made "Watermelon Man" (a movie) as a biting racial satire released in 1970. It still stands up to time though. It's just as scathing as "Raisin In the Sun", but more surreal. A white bigot wakes up to find he is black. That simple premise allows Peebles to let the camera watch the community around him change from a Norman Rockwell ideal to spewing racists. The movie feels like a Carnival mirror though, as the transformation is made funny by the absurdity Peebles uses. "Watermelon Man" was made before "Baddass", so as a director he is remembered for the latter. "Watermelon Man" is the more unsettling though. Check it out.