Black People : Invisibility Cloak

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MasterDJ, Aug 14, 2008.

1. MasterDJ

MasterDJ Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +48
    Peace,
    There has been an article written recently stating that scientists are on the brink of a scientific breakthrough! They claim they will have the capability to develop an invisibility cloak that can be made for military use....check it out!

Invisibility Cloak on the Horizon, Scientists Say
    By Steven Musil, CNET news.com
    Scientists say they are a step closer to developing materials that will render people and other objects invisible.

Researchers say they can redirect light around 3-D objects using metamaterials--artificially engineered structures created at a nano scale that contain optical properties not found in nature, according to an Associated Press report.

People see objects as a result of the light reflecting or scattering off them. This new mixture of materials has "negative refractive" properties that keep light from being absorbed or reflected by the object, allowing only the light from behind the object to be seen. Essentially, the material bends visible light in a way that eliminates the creation of reflections or shadows in much the way water flows around a stone.

The findings, to be released later this week in Nature and Science, were made by scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, led by Xiang Zhang. The research, which was funded in part by the U.S. Army Research Office and the National Science Foundation's Nano-Scale Science and Engineering Center, could have broad applications, including for the military.

But the materials work in limited wavelengths, so they won't be used to hide buildings from satellites, said Jason Valentine, who is a co-author of one of the papers.

"We are not actually cloaking anything," Valentine told Reuters. While the Harry Potter series of books and films has made the idea of a personal "invisibility cloak" popular, he says, "I don't think we have to worry about invisible people walking around any time soon. To be honest, we are just at the beginning of doing anything like that."

I find this extremely interesting yet scary if placed in the wrong hands...which I think US Army would be the wrong hands to place it in! What do you guys think of this because with a development of this magnitude there would no longer be a need to bug rooms to hear spiritual or political private circles...they can have an actual person standing there with a tape recorder...Sounds creepy to me! Please dont hold any punches in your feed back!

2. tyab14

tyab14 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +78
    Yeah I seen this when logging into yahoo, some interesting stuff. You ever heard of the Philadelphia Experiment?

3. MasterDJ

MasterDJ Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +48
    No i have not heard of it! Please elaborate and give me a briefing so i can go personally research it!