Black Spirituality Religion : Invalid Arguments....

SAMURAI36

BANNED
Mar 3, 2005
Bay Area
I came across this page, and thought that this criteria would be interesting to share here in this section above all others, especially since most of us (myself included) have been guilty of these tactics at some point or another in the discussions here.

http://www.intellectualloafing.com/activitiesfolder/beinformedfolder/invalidarguments.htm

As such, it may be helpful to review this, as it might help all of us to improve how we convey our perspectives to each other.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

PEACE

SAMURAI36 said:
I came across this page, and thought that this criteria would be interesting to share here in this section above all others, especially since most of us (myself included) have been guilty of these tactics at some point or another in the discussions here.

http://www.intellectualloafing.com/activitiesfolder/beinformedfolder/invalidarguments.htm

As such, it may be helpful to review this, as it might help all of us to improve how we convey our perspectives to each other.

PEACE

This is true, I'm guilty of at least one of them as well. :angel1:

SAMURAI36 said:

PEACE

Very True. Very Interesting also. Thanks for sharing this.

So is all debating actually Invalid. Since they all contain these invalid examples? <----- or is this a Invalid Question?

Hmm

SAMURAI36 said:

PEACE

Interesting, thanx for sharing.

HODEE said:
Very True. Very Interesting also. Thanks for sharing this.

So is all debating actually Invalid. Since they all contain these invalid examples? <----- or is this a Invalid Question?

On the contrary, actually......

Though it was a long time ago, in my Public Speaking class I took, my instructor was adamant about the correct form for debating.....

Basically, the most "proper" form of debate is to utilize the Scientific Method all throughout the conversation:

*Assert your perspective/theory

*Provide as much substantial information in favor said theory, as well as against any counterspectives

*Form a conclusion, based on how well all the info works to prove the theory.

2 key components in this, is:

* Good articulation = none of us are telepathic, and thus you have no hope of conveying your perspective if you can't clearly speak or write it.

* Emotional detachment from the perspective = this is something that I'm constanting trying to enforce, especially on here; KNOWLEDGE vs BELIEF. People who are belief-driven are far too emotionally connected to the beliefs that they are arguing for/against, in order to be objective about them.

I've taken notice to people knocking down a perspective--without knowing the slightest thing about it--simply because it doesn't coincide with their preset notions about certain things.

This is a dangerous mindstate, for seemingly "intelligent" people to possess.

I try my best to ALWAYS approach information from an intellectual perspective--as that's the only place that info belongs--in the mind............Though I'll admit that's not the easiest thing to do.

This, in my mind, is what that age-old addage of "My people die for lack of knowledge" means..... This is why we never gain a proper foot-hold in academic institutions of the modern world; ironically though, the people who control and manipulate those institutions--by and large WHITE PEOPLE--are inherently the most savage in the realm of intellectual thinking, and we are just the opposite.

PEACE

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back