Black People : Introduction - Diversity - Breaking Down Barriers

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    The people most affected by the topic of diversity, that also includes equality, are: people of aboriginal ancestry, persons with disabilities, gays, visible minorities, and women. Historically, this long-time inequity has devastated the workforce more than any other segment of our society.

Diversity represents individual intrinsic values and belief systems. For example, culture is made up of organized values, beliefs and assumptions shared by a group of people who live at a certain time in a particular place. These are transmitted from one generation to the next. Culture is learned; race is inhered. Therefore, all of us have preconceived notions about another individual or group that is different from our own.

Unfortunately, attitudes can not be legislated. But behaviors can be legislated. However, the preferred human condition would be to have people understand and respect differences. And therefore, attitudes will drive behaviors without legislation. So, when committed individuals, and activists, develop and initiate processes to educate, and build understanding and compassion for differences among those who fear the concepts of diversity and equality, positive changes will take place.

---------------------

The above was provided by Ed L. McQuarters (aka ediversity) who will be hosting, guiding, leading this area of discussion. He sent this to me via email and I thought I'd post it (since I've created the forum and have it). Please Family, he's new here so make him feel welcome by taking part in the discussions, asking questions and sharing your thoughts.

2. ediversity

ediversity Member MEMBER

Retired, after 30 years with one employer.
    Have lived in Regina, Saskatchewan-CANADA since 19
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pray for me! Pray for me!

What Will It Take To Wake Up the Diversity Troublemakers!?

One Sunday in a Midwest City, a young child was "acting up" during the morning worship hour. The parents did their best to maintain some sense of order in the pew but were losing the battle. Finally, the father picked the little fellow up and walked sternly up the aisle on his way out. Just before reaching the safety of the foyer, the little one called loudly to the congregation, "Pray for me! Pray for me!"

My point...if the diversity troublemakers don't start to recognize that education, understanding, and compassion are the solutions to living in resonable harmany in an all inclusive world they could find themselves being carried away only to suffer the same fate as that little boy above. Let's continue to pray for them, today.

ediversity

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    in totally agreement

on bending knees........praying