Destee's Thoughts Interviewing Our Elders

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
I regret not being able to be here for these occasions and interviews. Everyday I look for elders on the bus or on the streets as I'm moving around or going to work so that I can speak with them. There are things about our elders...aka Ancestors that must never be forgotten and always respected.

1. Many of them were not able to do what we do, to know what we know or to have the opportunities that a lot of us take for granted.

2. Regardless of that, all of them in their heart lived with the hope that their children, grandchildren or great grandchildren, would know more than they knew, do more than they did and have more than they had.

3. They, like us today, were victims of white supremacy and very often more overt or physical....not to forget the mental and emotional also....and yet they did the best they could based upon and despite their conditioning, their struggles and their lack to do any better. In fact, they must be praised for doing a more SUPERIOR job with less than many do today with the MORE that they have at their disposal.

4. More than anything, they remember when our people WERE REALLY OUR PEOPLE...a time of integrity, brotherly and sisterly love....when we respected our parents and elders and each other...a time when we really knew who our enemy was and were not consciously trying to be like them. A time when we still had values and dignity within ourselves and our communities....a time when we loved ourselves and those who looked like us.

5. They are the reason we are are here and it is their backs and shoulders that we stand upon...for within them lies a SPIRIT and essence of who we are that many of us have lost or know nothing about...a spirit that we are now fighting to recover and instill within our children to stop and prevent the mental and physical death that now plagues them and us as a people.

Destee...this was brilliant of you!!!

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Keita said:
I regret not being able to be here for these occasions and interviews. Everyday I look for elders on the bus or on the streets as I'm moving around or going to work so that I can speak with them. There are things about our elders...aka Ancestors that must never be forgotten and always respected.

1. Many of them were not able to do what we do, to know what we know or to have the opportunities that a lot of us take for granted.

2. Regardless of that, all of them in their heart lived with the hope that their children, grandchildren or great grandchildren, would know more than they knew, do more than they did and have more than they had.

3. They, like us today, were victims of white supremacy and very often more overt or physical....not to forget the mental and emotional also....and yet they did the best they could based upon and despite their conditioning, their struggles and their lack to do any better. In fact, they must be praised for doing a more SUPERIOR job with less than many do today with the MORE that they have at their disposal.

4. More than anything, they remember when our people WERE REALLY OUR PEOPLE...a time of integrity, brotherly and sisterly love....when we respected our parents and elders and each other...a time when we really knew who our enemy was and were not consciously trying to be like them. A time when we still had values and dignity within ourselves and our communities....a time when we loved ourselves and those who looked like us.

5. They are the reason we are are here and it is their backs and shoulders that we stand upon...for within them lies a SPIRIT and essence of who we are that many of us have lost or know nothing about...a spirit that we are now fighting to recover and instill within our children to stop and prevent the mental and physical death that now plagues them and us as a people.

Destee...this was brilliant of you!!!
Brother Keita ... this is beautiful ... Thank You! ... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

:heart:

Destee

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
BRAND NEW ELDER INTERVIEW ... :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: ... SUNDAY @ 8 pm ET !!!! ... :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Mr. Neely Fuller, Jr. will be our Elder Interview-eeeee ... :D ... :toast: :toast: :toast:

We have had the pleasure of Mr. Fuller joining us on several different occasions, but this time, it will be different. In the past, he's spoke primarily on racism / white supremacy, how we can overcome it, his book, etc.

Well ... this time ... drum roll please ... :drums: ... he'll be telling us about his life, how things were when he grew up, etc !!!! :D

I know you don't want to miss this ... so don't be late !!!

Mr. Fuller ... New Elder Interview ... Sunday @ 8 pm ET! ... www.destee.com/chat ... :love:

See you there!

Oh ... by the way ... Mr. Fuller is 76 years old, if no mistake.

Destee

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Destee said:
BRAND NEW ELDER INTERVIEW ... :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: ... SUNDAY @ 8 pm ET !!!! ... :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Mr. Neely Fuller, Jr. will be our Elder Interview-eeeee ... :D ... :toast: :toast: :toast:

We have had the pleasure of Mr. Fuller joining us on several different occasions, but this time, it will be different. In the past, he's spoke primarily on racism / white supremacy, how we can overcome it, his book, etc.

Well ... this time ... drum roll please ... :drums: ... he'll be telling us about his life, how things were when he grew up, etc !!!! :D

I know you don't want to miss this ... so don't be late !!!

Mr. Fuller ... New Elder Interview ... Sunday @ 8 pm ET! ... www.destee.com/chat ... :love:

See you there!

Oh ... by the way ... Mr. Fuller is 76 years old, if no mistake.

Destee
I will surely be there. I came here just in time.:bowdown:Destee, you are the bomb!

mardukson

Apr 3, 2007
I think giving our Elders back their spot is the first step we have to take towards recovery.

That said, we are then presented with another problem. Clearly all Elders, are not wise. or seeking our betterment. But who decides who is wise enough to be revered,obeyed and listened to? We can't all agree on that and we all never will, but maybe some of us will one day.

For example, personally, I would listen to an Elder like chief Osiris. Even if I didn't agree with his decision, if I was in conflict with another brother or sister, this elder could squash it with a word, because even though I've read him rebuking us for our shortcomings, I'd never read the man denigrate us, or try to lower us in the eyes of the world. He only tries to uplift in his praise, knowledge and criticism. Unfortunantly Elders like this, don't get the shine some others do.

A wise elder--in my oppinion should be raised above all but the great, unknowable Creator. That's how the man/god stuff started in the first place. No image, or myth, or energy should be lifted above a wise elder.

But the thing is, an Elder should be an Elder--in other words aged, wise and with a life's work that proves their mettle. No young or middle-aged man can handle the power or great responsibility that we should give our Elders.

For example: We have gang problems. If our Elders were given back their proper position, they would be able to settle the worse gang war with just a word. They would have that much juice and respect.

At one time they did.

We need to get back to that. We are bombarded with a lot of negativeity about ourselves, but we have among us, some of the most selfless, righteous people on earth. They just don't get the shine. But we have them in our communities, and they are not preaching any long haired white man on us. They are just quietly working, trying to take care of us one person at a time.

The game is to make us believe that we are incorrigeable, and hopeless, but history and myth says that all the great man/gods who sacrificed and tried to make the world a better place were black men.

This may sound like hyperbole, but the evidence backs me up. The highest hieghts in righteous, love, and selfless sacrifice for others, can be reached, and has never been reached by none other than a back man.

This is coming from a guy who believes in giving the goddess her spot as the supreme being of all WoMankind. Still, the evidence --Ancient and modern, declares that the black man singularly, is the essence of the righteous energy in this universe. He is the guardian and defender, of the weak, oppressed and abused.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
MetaSaience said:
Beautiful Destee! Beautiful Goddess Auset333!! I'm so glad finally someone has picked up on this vision. I've been hearing the Ancestors screaming at us about this idea for a long time. This is the core reason why I am studying Videocasting now, as well as DVD authoring.

For some reason, the Elders love talking to me. I don't know what it is. For the time I was a child, Elders always shared things with me they would never tell other children. Even now.

Here in Atlanta, we have a wealth of Elders who walked with Dr. King, some who "protected" Malcolm. I talk to these Elders all the time. And I'm thinking to myself, now why isn't anyone interviewing these Men and Women who were actually there?? I figured, fate wanted me to be the one to do it. Because, this is the honest truth. Some of these Elders have very valuable information that they won't tell anyone BUT us.

Just today, I spoke with a Gentlemen who wanted to reproduce some of the old newspapers he had. I was busy with another project, and I was going to tell him maybe next week. But I felt something, something told me- no-no-no. This is an Elder who paved a way for many of us here today. Guess what.

I checked the newspapers he had. He has been collecting a black newspaper published back in july 15, 1936. I will try to get a copy from him later. I was shocked that some of the material discussed in the paper, could be read right off this very forum. As if time hasn't moved an inch for Black folks since 1936.

There was an article in it that said Blacks shouldn't buy from businesses that don't hire them. I said to myself, we are going through this same thing right now! Still!

Our greatest sin as a nation, I've always said is that we have lost touch with our Elders. We need to improve that relationship. They have allot to teach us, and most of them are at the age where they love to talk, and we need to learn to love to listen. I love to listen to the Elders.

This is big. This is needed. No backing down. Let's do it. Action, Action, Action.
a few weeks ago i visited my sole surviving grandma in cali who is 89 and close to passing. i never asked her questions about the past just always listen to what she chooses to share. i moved back home to be closer to her and my other elder relatives and if i sell my home in texas i plan on devoting greater effort in spending more time with them and listening to their stories and documenting much as possible. i dont think any are ready to be formally interviewd but that may change in time.

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
May I suggest that we interview my father. He is still a couple years shy of 70 but he is a retired mental health counselor and an airforce veteran.

I have often thought that if I could get my father and brotha oldsoul in the same room together the discussion that ensues would go down in history.

He worked for several decades as a mental health counselor at the Washington Department of Human Resources during the time DC was 87 % Black and has a brilliant overstanding of the mindset of our people. He keeps up with current new. Like brotha oldsoul he can speak intelligently and knowledgeably about almost any subject.

I think the fambly could get a lot out of talking to him.

Any seconds on the motion?

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
im sad...

omowalejabali said:
a few weeks ago i visited my sole surviving grandma in cali who is 89 and close to passing. i never asked her questions about the past just always listen to what she chooses to share. i moved back home to be closer to her and my other elder relatives and if i sell my home in texas i plan on devoting greater effort in spending more time with them and listening to their stories and documenting much as possible. i dont think any are ready to be formally interviewd but that may change in time.
grandma passed and im ready to move back home to texas...
peace y'all...

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.