Internet Safety: Teens

Discussion in 'Black Teenagers - Teenz Exprezzed!' started by krazelyricks, Nov 26, 2003.

1. krazelyricks

krazelyricks Well-Known Member MEMBER

student
    Ratings:
    +12
    Recently, I was given a scare about the internet that came too close to home. Although, I was aware that I should not give any personal information, I didn't know that even without the personal info that a person could still get attached. So, I decided that I would write a article on "Internet Safety" so this problem will not happen to neither of us in this family again.

Much has been written about dangers on the Internet, but if we are going to get in trouble online, chances are that it will be because of something that was said in a chat room.
    Millions of teens engage in chat and e- mail every day and the majority are not victimized

Most of these cases, involve similar methods of getting to the victim. The perpetrator lurks in public chat rooms looking teens/ children he thinks is very vulnerable. I use ``he'' because in my case the person was male; however, there have been cases of adult women using the Internet to get underage boys and girls as well. When he finds the person who seems vulnerable, he invites the teen into a private area of the chat room to get better acquainted. Next comes private chat message followed by e-mail, phone conversation, and, finally, a face-to-face meeting. (Fortunately, in my case it didn't go this far. I didn't recieve any messages or anything from this brother. I won't lie, I think if I did I would have given a response. I don't think I would have wanted to see him face to face but I still would have responded. )

Teens who are very quiet in online chats are especially targeted. Predators like to go after those who tend to express agreement in chat rooms but not say a lot because they know that these teens are vulnerable. It's like the children who are on the outskirts of a playgrounds. The ones playing the game are already getting a lot recognition. The ones that aren't are more likely to be to themselves and happy for whatever attention they can get.

And, of course, the predator doesn't start by sexually propositioning a teen. His first tactic is to create a comfort level.Early in the process, the predator might even send the person a photograph of ``himself'' to reassure the child that he is a honest man. Then within a month period he makes his move to become more personal with the child. ( In my case, I didn't know him like that.)

Predators, are often very skilled at their crimes. They know how to manipulate us. They know their likes and dislikes and they know which buttons to push. And they're very patient with the victim.It sometimes takes months to turn a contact from a chat room into a sexually victimize person. And, even though these online relationships typically begin with the teen believing that he or she is talking with another teen, it's not uncommon for the predator to eventually let the teen know that he is ``a lil' older'' than he might have first told them.Using phrases like, ``how do you feel about a `big brother' or an `uncle,' '' the adult prepares the teen for the eventual meeting where his age will become obvious. ( These are some of the phases this brother approached me with.) Some people will cut off the relationship the moment they realize they're talking with an adult, but others will be flattered by it. It's not uncommon for the predators to attempt to seduce several teens at a time so even if that one goes away, they have other victims lined up.

In some cases, the teen continues to believe that the person they're dealing with in chat and e-mail is a teen up until the meeting. The adult might tell the unsuspecting teen, ``My dad will pick you up,'' so the will feels safe getting into the his/her car.

I caution you all that the chat itself is only a meeting point. In many cases, teens and the perpetrator are together in the chat room for a very short time and continue the conversation by via e-mail and other venues, including mobile phones.

It is very popular for them to exchange messages by mobile phone ( text messages). Another problem with cell phones is that the teen use them away from home where the parent has no clue as to who they're talking with.

I write this to you to say, that this is a very dangerous time we're all living in. There are predators everywhere we look. If we are not wise we might be the next victim who mother gets the call saying we have been raped or molested.

SO, LOOK OUT!!!!!!! IT'S A DANGEROUS WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1
    i agree with u sister, it is a VERY dangerous world that we live in today, i was also almost on of those victims, this dude kept pushing me to "come see him" and he kept asking me my adress and what my name was, even when i told him no...over, and over again. so i just left and i never went in that chatroom again. i look in my inbox a few days later its blown up with his emails.....from there it gets alot more complicated, more emails, some phone calls and it all ends in a police report...
    much love,
    -story

3. Eisha

Eisha Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes. Very, very true. Thank you so much for this reminder because everyone really needs to be informed about this. I really hope that you situation is over with, now.

4. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1
    it is thank god
    much love,
    -story

5. krazelyricks

student
    Ratings:
    +12
    See, it's so sad that a person would stoop so low as they want a little girl or boy. In this world today you can't overlook anything. A person will portray themselves as your friend and the next minute look at you as a sex object. This is also a reminder that this can also happen in your present day surroundings. It can be a neighbor, friend, or even family member that can do this to you as well. I hope it doesn't, but so many of us are so naive that we need a constant reminder at ALL times. So, I want you all to have a good Thanksgiving, and remember to stay safe......it's crazy out there.......EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!

signed,
    foxy...............

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,685
    Hello Sister FoxyLady :wave:

Hello Sister The_Story :wave:

Hello Sister Eisha :wave:

3 of my Favorite Teens !!! :love:

Sister FoxyLady, this is a great topic, great thread, and great presentation you've made!!! :toast:

I'm so proud of you all !!!! :love:

This topic speaks to the core of my being. As you all have shared, unfortunately there are ELDERS that will act unbecoming their age. The Internet has proven to be another place where this happens, but it is really just one more place. Please keep this in mind and continue remaining focused, everywhere.

As an ELDER myself, i know there is a way to do things properly ... and every other Elder knows this too, whether they live up to it or not. The responsibility to talk, act, and guide properly, is on the ELDER, not you. So don't ever feel as though you've done something wrong, because they are acting krazee. It can never be your fault. You are the child.

It just so happens that 2 of you are Moderators here and The_Story and i have talked of her taking on more of a leadership role as well. My conversation with all of you has been consistent, insisting that i speak with your parent(s), and receive their permission and blessing, before anything could happen. I do this because i'm an ELDER and recognize there's a proper way to do things. Anyone that attempts to engage you in anything other than open, public, surface exchanges, are violating. Violating you, your parents, and the respect they should have for self. Let that be a sign for you, to differentiate between those who mean you well, and those who mean you no good. Any ELDER in their right mind, will seek your parent's approval before engaging you to any great or private degree. There are always signs, so pay close attention.

If they do ask to speak to your parents, let them. Call your parent(s) to the computer screen. Let them know what's going on. Take them to the sites you visit on the Internet. Do these people just like you did with me. Surely you could just trust Destee?! I mean, it's Destee, right?! Wrong!!! :nono: Don't even let Destee, or anyone like her get by without speaking to your parents. When i insisted on speaking to your parents, it was not only for your safety, but also to show you all how things should be done.

Since i've mentioned ELDER so often, i thought i'd define it by saying ANYONE older than you. And, keep in mind, some folk will say they're your age, when they are really 78 or something! So ... always always always be careful ... and keep your parents aware of where you are and what you're doing when on the Internet. Invite them here to join us!

I Love You All !!! Remain Forever Focused Young Sisters !!!!

:heart:

Destee

7. cuvriefloesta

cuvriefloesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

student
    Ratings:
    +0
    :jawdrop:That is so true...there are so many sick people out there. Just a month ago I was attacked, not through the internet,but some guy tried to grab me. I just want to remind the family to be careful in everything you do. When you are a good natured person it's easy to forget that everybody isn't. Thanks for the caution sister.

8. krazelyricks

student
    Ratings:
    +12
    Indeed everything you said was true..........good quote........I hope you are aiight........I mean after your ordeal.......I can only imagine what you must feel........unforunately that kind of stuff it starting to happen a lot in this day and age........I only wish you the best.......and remember to pray......for in his eyes all thing are good.......thanks for replyin..........much luv goes out to you

9. SensualReality

SensualReality Well-Known Member MEMBER

high school student
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey Fox I have just gotten around to reading this and I feel everything everyone has said is true and I really want to thank you for putting this out there:wink:

10. krazelyricks

student
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry that I have just gotten back to responding, but thank you so much sensualreality for feeling my article and feeling what everyone else has said. Spread the word to other teens, "TEENS BEWARE!!!!!!!!"