Phones and Apps : Internet phone lines?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by RamelBradley, Nov 11, 2004.

1. RamelBradley

RamelBradley Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone ever heard of this new technology called VoIP? It stands for Voice over internet protocol I think. I was reading last week that it is going to be the wave of the future with regards to telecommunications. It's supposed to be a lot cheaper than a regular telephone line. I think it is a normal phone that just uses an internet line as opposed to a normal land line. I've started looking at some different providers and will probably give it a try. Does anyone know anything about this or have any experience with it?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i heard about it but really have no knowledge of it yet or know anyone who has it.

3. bienamor

bienamor Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    here is a start

http://www.fcc.gov/voip/

Depends on the service provider for your VoIP as to whether or not you need a special phone or if the receiving phone also has to have VoIP service, some allow, some dont. do a search for VoIP. Lots of info there

4. Kelvin Brown

Kelvin Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full time Internet Marketer
    Ratings:
    +1
    First lets say, this is not new.

It is however, just moving into mainstream.

There are 2 basic services types that I am aware of.

#1: Allows you to make calls strictly via your computer, usually just requiring you to download a small program. Quality has gotten a lot better of the past year. Most allow you to make free calls to other members. Patterned after the many cell phone plans that do not charge for same network calls.

You can also use these services to call regular land lines or cell phones, at very cheap rates. As little as 2 to 3 cents a minute, including international calls.

#2: This is the service that is really moving mainstream, and challenging the local service providers. They usually require additional equipment, in the form of some time of convert, to go between your computer and your service provider. This usually requires high speed Internet access.

Connection and setup is easy.

Because it does use the internet, for routing, they dont have the same cost as the local providers. Local providers have to deal with the fixed cost of providing the wire leading to your house, maintaining it etc.

VOiP compaines dont have that part to deal with. And usually pass along substantial savings to the user.

=====

I use both services types, 1 and 2. Number one is convenient for customers to call you at no expense to the customer, and it saves me money by not having to always use my toll free line, and is easier for conference calls. The only equipment you need is a headset for your PC. I use www.skype.com

Number #. Saves me at least half of the money I spent with verizon. There is no extra charge for voicemail, caller ID, 3 way and a number of other services. Including unlimited long-distance. I use www.sunrocket.com . The converters for different companies range usually between $49 and $79 one time payment.

kelvin

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    thankz for this info. something to check out ....................