Black Relationships : Inter-religious dating...!!!

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by Pharaoh Jahil, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Peace...

Has anyone in here ever been involved with someone of a different belief? and if so has it conflicted with your beliefs. Also, if you haven't, would you ever have that type of relationship?
    Me personally, as a faithful Moslem (muslim), I wouldn't because the Holy Quran says not to involve yourself with the disbelievers. What are your opinions?

(this is not a thread to put each other's belief systems down)

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    i could date a person with a different belief
    but i will not allow ot let them take mines away from me
    i never been involve with a one but i have seen a couple
    who has different belief and they respect the others faith
    or belief still going strong after 15 years together like this

but to really get deep involve i don't know cause surely he/she
    is going to want there mate to be apart of what he/she believe in

3. angelicsage

angelicsage Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    The Bible says two cannot walk together unless they agree. It also warns against
    a man and women being unevenly yoked together.

This is what I was taught in my religion as a child, although when it came down
    To it I ended up with someone who believes in God but doesn’t practice any
    Faith…but I loved him and he was good to me; this caused me to look beyond
    religion and weigh all of the factors. It’s a lot like the cliché…”throwing the
    Baby out with the bathwater”…Was I to allow one aspect of him that I was not
    In agreement with…affect the rest of my life, I decided no.

People are together because they want to be and if they love each
    other enough they will work together to establish understanding and sensitivity
    to each others beliefs. It is possible to have a successful relationship but depending
    on how deeply engrained a persons beliefs and practices are…
    It takes a lot of work. I must say there are times I would love to share my
    experiences and views with him and it is frustrating because he simply cannot
    relate. If you find someone with similar or same faith…that’s wonderful but
    if the person destine to be your better half is not…just know…as with all
    relationships this is an area that will require maintenance.

Oh, and the scripture…that can apply to many aspects of a relationship, not just
    religion…it took a lot of years into my adulthood to see this clearly from what
    I had been taught as a child.

4. Pharaoh Jahil

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hmm

Peace

Good response Angelic..I like how you touched on that it depends on how engrained a person's faith is. For me, as a new follower of Islam, my principles and my code of ethics are going to evolve around this faith. So the woman Im involved with, I would want her to believe in God the same way I do. Plus, when you have kids, people tend to raise their children with religious morals depending on their belief. Now, being involved with someone of a different belief can conflict with that type of up-bringing. I would like to raise an Islamic family, but that wont work out if the mother of my children is not a moslem.....Oh and Angelic you also stated that there are times when you wish you could share views/esperiences with him but he wont relate. For me that would be a big problem if I cannot talk about the greatness of Allah with my wife. We may have alot if common, but if we can't relate spiritually, than that's a relationship that is destined to fall.

:peace:

5. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I've never dated someone who wasn't Christian. I've dated women who weren't Catholic.(Yes I'm a Black Catholic, we are out there) And we saw things differently on some levels when it came to faith.(She kept thinking that I prayed to Mary) Could I date a non-Christian. I think I could. Depends. If they are trying to force their religion down my throat, then it's not going to work. If we can reach a common ground(Yahweh is Great, Allah is Great) and are both good people, then I guess it could work. it will get "tricky" is the relationship progreses to marriage and children. But there is a way to work out evvrything if both people are willing to work at it.

6. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm a Christian and I refuse to date a man who is NOT a Christian. I love my HEAVENLY FATHER too much to disobey the counsel on "not becoming unequally yoked".

Therefore, a Muslim man is NOT for me. A Buddhist, Hindi, etc...keep on moving, for this sister is not interested.

Even in things other than dating, I do not have intimate fellowship with non-Christians. Not to say that I don't speak to them, and of course, I don't hate them, but I rather be in close relationships with fellow believers.

A Muslim guy did approach me but I turned him away. He sid he had no problem with me being a Christian, but I told him I have no interest at all in being with a non-Christian man and that was just the way it always will be with me.

7. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    That's true and if that was to be my only sin I wouldn't even think about it.

."A Muslim guy did approach me but I turned him away. He sid he had no problem with me being a Christian, but I told him I have no interest at all in being with a non-Christian man and that was just the way it always will be with me."

So, you can't even be friends w/ someone of a different faith.

However, I agree that it is difficult. I just can't see myself not dating an otherwise GBM because he's not Chrisitan.

8. Compassion

Compassion Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have and would again- its about be strong in your own spot and respectful of another.'

9. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I would date someone of a different religion, the only problem is that if it gets serious to the point of marrige or kids happen to come in the picture, that's where the problems arise. I think in a successful marriage you have to pray and worship together as a family. You will have some conflict even if you respect eachothers religion. I think it can be done, but I think it would be difficult.

10. Pharaoh Jahil

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Peace

I've been re-thinking my stance on inter-religious dating and have had a change of heart. First off, I took that verse in the Quran out of context or exaggerated. There is nothing wrong with dating someone of a different religion as long as it doesn't interfear with yours. Even though you both follow a different path what yall have in common is God. Who knows, you both could learn from each other. As long as you both love and respect each other, there should be no problem. So I actually would date a sistah of a different faith. :star:

Salaam