Black People : Instinct Toward Self Destruction

You obviously want to defend New York City. I can understand that because you live their. But I am not making assumptions. I know people whose child or children were doing all the right things and were gunned down. I am not making generalizations. I am offering a theory about why such things do happen in our communities. I know you are not going to tell me these things don't happen and then brag about how you live in NYC.

No protecting ones son does not mean creating the boy to be a tom or a suck up and please check the events section

for my post on Malcolm's brother and what he had to say about how his mother raised them..

With all due respect, one starts to wonder are we creating a generalization of rationalizers

where every form of abbharent behavoir that we would have concidered reprehensable 80 years ago in the Black community, can be rationalized

Please also listen to the film a great and mighty walk by Dr.Clarke , and how he says Harlem was for him as a child.

was ready to think she was just a bad mother until I considered the kind of kids who get shot and killed in New York. It's not the bad kids who get killed. It's not the kids that are always in and out of jail, ditching school and getting in trouble. It's the good kids.

Do you honestly think if she allows her children to continue that kind of behavior, disrespecting their mother their living environment and you as their aunt,,,
do you honestly think they can make it through school with all of that, and then on a job with all of that?
or a relationship???

In fact speak to some of the councilors that visit the prisons from the vrious churches and the NOI, and they will tell you where those children

will wind up

if that kind of behavior is not checked early on

Ok now the page is cleaned up the question remains
:10500:

an instinct is something that you have no control over.
humans have few if any instincts.

human behavior is learned and can be un learned.
we can control our behaviors.

yes, we have all been trained by the system of white supremacy.
some of us are trying to retrain ourselves.
care to join?
I cannot argie with the idea that we can retrain ourselves. It takes knowledge. Something that so many of us don't have. We must recapture the imaginations of our people stolen from mass media and filled with stuff that makes us reject knowledge.

You retrained yourself, James. I saw you do it. And there are thousands more who , like you, will take the knowledge and use it if we can get it to them.

There are some things we do that were passed down to us from our slave ancestors that we may not realize we are doing or may realize it to some extent but not know how to break free of the matrix.

I think about my cousin in New York. she lets her kids run wild. They are little kids who raid the fridge and spread food all over the house, paint their room with dishwashing liquid, they even took my cd player out of my bag in my room and smeared it with toothpaste. When she gets tired of them she sends them to their father. She is not a single mother but is married to another guy. They were jumping all over the place and she tells me"I told you my kids are bad." I said "You better tell your kids your cousin is bad."

I tried to understand this. I visited them when she was a teenager 15 and she waas talking to this guy out the window. The guy asked her to come outside but her father said no you don't meet guys on the street at night. So it's not like she doesn't know what self respect and home training is.

I was ready to think she was just a bad mother until I considered the kind of kids who get shot and killed in New York. It's not the bad kids who get killed. It's not the kids that are always in and out of jail, ditching school and getting in trouble. It's the good kids. The college bound, straight A kids who gety killed. Like brotha oldsoul said they are being killed by the thugs. the kids we didn't have time for, the ones we saw their mother was out working and they were doing all kinds of stuff and we shut our doors and told our kids not to play with them.

From the time of slavery it has been the Black mother's instinct to protect her sons. This is backkwards. A boy should look to his father for protection but when the father is not their the mother must do it. Protecting her sons means making them innocuous. Keep them alive by dumbing them done so they won't be a threat to white people.

Is this what my cousin is doing? Unconsciously, I think so. Sad thing is she thinks of herself as racially conscious.

Peace River,

I don't think what your cousin is doing has anything at all to do with anything
passed down from enslaved ancestors. If Slave ancestors passed anything
down, it was control. control of your emotions, of your actions, of every
part of your being. Slavery subdued our senses, but not on any biological
level.. just on a cultural level. Every single incident that happens with a
person of color cannot be pinned on directly on White Supremacy..
especially not when it is happening within our own sphere of control.

Indirectly, however, the cultural destruction of Africa, the murder, enslavement
and scattering of our people, the loss of language and origins.. of identity,
etc.. has also resulted in a loss of cultural/social information regarding
values, spirituality, manhood, child-rearing, etc.. every single one of those
areas was taken from our control for several hundred years.. and the result
is a sort of cultural improvisation that can be compared to a test labaratory
for theories.. There are villages in China where families have lived as
Fishermen for 500 years.. imagine the social information that those families
contain.. information and experience passed down from generation to
generation to generation to generation in a single continuous line. Most
of us don't have that. My generation is the first in my family to have mass
access to higher education.. My grandfather's generation was severely
handicapped by the Klan and Kongress.. my Father's generation moved
us into the middle-class, built our houses and paid for our education.. and
they did it by working 16 hour days.. their entire existence was work. My
generation is the first generation in my family to have a chance to sit down
and think for a minute.. And it seems that that is our struggle.. once the
hurdles are not so visible, how does one become motivated to jump? And
how high?.. but.. anyway.. back to my point.. Your cousin doesn't know
what she's doing. And her children's behavior are a reflection of her own
value system. I've met parents that don't believe in any form of discipline
at all. They don't want to discourage their children. And it's easy to see that
that impulse comes out of something that happened in their own childhood..
And like lab rats, they are testing their theories of child-rearing on their own
kids.. and their kids will do the same thing to theirs.. and so on and so on..

Peace River,

I don't think what your cousin is doing has anything at all to do with anything
passed down from enslaved ancestors. If Slave ancestors passed anything
down, it was control. control of your emotions, of your actions, of every
part of your being. Slavery subdued our senses, but not on any biological
level.. just on a cultural level. Every single incident that happens with a
person of color cannot be pinned on directly on White Supremacy..
especially not when it is happening within our own sphere of control.

Indirectly, however, the cultural destruction of Africa, the murder, enslavement
and scattering of our people, the loss of language and origins.. of identity,
etc.. has also resulted in a loss of cultural/social information regarding
values, spirituality, manhood, child-rearing, etc.. every single one of those
areas was taken from our control for several hundred years.. and the result
is a sort of cultural improvisation that can be compared to a test labaratory
for theories.. There are villages in China where families have lived as
Fishermen for 500 years.. imagine the social information that those families
contain.. information and experience passed down from generation to
generation to generation to generation in a single continuous line. Most
of us don't have that. My generation is the first in my family to have mass
access to higher education.. My grandfather's generation was severely
handicapped by the Klan and Kongress.. my Father's generation moved
us into the middle-class, built our houses and paid for our education.. and
they did it by working 16 hour days.. their entire existence was work. My
generation is the first generation in my family to have a chance to sit down
and think for a minute.. And it seems that that is our struggle.. once the
hurdles are not so visible, how does one become motivated to jump? And
how high?.. but.. anyway.. back to my point.. Your cousin doesn't know
what she's doing. And her children's behavior are a reflection of her own
value system. I've met parents that don't believe in any form of discipline
at all. They don't want to discourage their children. And it's easy to see that
that impulse comes out of something that happened in their own childhood..
And like lab rats, they are testing their theories of child-rearing on their own
kids.. and their kids will do the same thing to theirs.. and so on and so on..

It's sad that we should still be experimenting with out children when there is much scholarly work on raising black boys and girls. But we look around at the white world and see Dr. Spock. Oh brother.

I can't imagine my uncle spanking my cousin just as my father never spanked me Though our grandfather would spank our fathers every week just in case they'd done something,. I'm not exaggerating.

Of course there's more to raising kids than spanking but whatever the parents don't teach them the police will. And the police don't care. That's how they make their money.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back