Black People : inspirational info

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by deepy, Dec 9, 2003.

1. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    this comes from one of my many muses...i thought it might be of help to each of you and also to stimulate questions and ideas of what we can all do regarding our world and our specific communities:

I Saw Peace
    * by Daphne Muse
    I saw peace
    ** Dance
    ** across the indigo, gold tipped sky
    *last night.
    Her mind
    * blossomed flowers.
    Her heart
    * chimed with the victory of struggle.
    And compassion
    ** was the backbone of her soul.
    Envisioning, Witnessing and Creating Peace—A Commentary
    For as long as I can remember, the holiday season has come with cards proclaiming peace. From World War II to the War in Iraq and the Watts riots to the daily drone of the crack wars, the smells, sounds and horrors of international conflicts and urban warfare have been present in my life. The proclamations of peace within those cards, along with the efforts of millions of known and unknown citizens around the world, have kept us from annihilating ourselves, totally.* While some have bombed Mother Earth for centuries, raped her resources and pillaged other species into extinction, others have planted new possibilities, nurtured incredible visions and created formidable venues for practicing peace.
    Like your 401K or mutual fund, peace is an even more essential investment, for it provides some greater assurance that you, and generations to come, can have a real future. As this year on the Roman calendar comes to a close and we embark upon the promise of a new year, we must plant non-genetically modified seeds of peace in tremendous abundance, everywhere.* But the first seeds must be planted within our own souls, spirits and psyches for it is imperative that we all secure personal peace through rituals (ancient and modern), healings and the professional support of clinicians trained to move us beyond the historical and personal hurts inflicted by the enslavement of African peoples, The Trail of Tears, the holocaust, Vietnam, Iraq, and other ongoing crimes against humanity, especially women and children. We cannot continue to march in the phalanx of the walking wounded, pouring the “salts of victimization� in those wounds.* We must sew those wounds with the strong visionary threads of truth and healing.* While the scars may linger, we cannot allow our spirits to be buried beneath the rubble of these atrocities.
    Recently, while watching 60 Minutes, Ed Bradley did a piece on community activist and organizer Alice Coles. *I realized her stand against the building of a prison in her rural town of Bayview, Virginia was an ultimate act to ensure peace.* Coles took her vision a few steps further and as a result the citizens of Bayview, who formerly lived in early twentieth century shacks with no electricity or indoor toilets, now have 52 units of affordable housing. Coles is strategic and unwavering in turning dreams into realities.* She refused to be buried under the rubble of unconscionable and atrocious conditions.* A few years ago a former drug dealer in my neighborhood came to me and talked about how he put down his gun, went to community college, picked up a hammer and began rebuilding houses to give something truly vital and sustainable to this community.
    Peace is a deep and abiding respect for life in ways that really matter, rather than cosmetic alterations that tend solely to the flesh.* There is a phenomenal beauty that comes with peace and radiates like no other presence.* *For those of us seeking peace, we must claim it strategically, organize to produce it and create a new kind of power to sustain it, while setting, reviewing and revising personal and national goals all along the way.* Through community based programs, NGO’s and international organizations, it is imperative that we forge new paradigms for building viable relationships between ourselves and other nations.* This coming year, I ask that you commit yourselves to one thing that will ensure you’re doing what you can to serve as an architect, designer, organizer or builder of peace.* Understanding how our day to day lives reflect the present and set the tone and tenor for the future is a crucial component.* From greeting a neighbor with a resounding hello to pounding nails for a day at a Habitat for Humanity project, simple things really do matter.*
    As we search for even more common ground, bringing peace in from the abstract and casting it in our daily lives is essential. And we must model the peace we seek, for otherwise our children will not know what it looks, feels and smells like.* Leaving them extraordinary legacies instead of infuriating burdens really will matter in their futures, whether you organized a campaign for affordable housing, provided condoms to curtail the rise in HIV infections, kept the shoreline clean to curtail the pollution of our oceans, or bought books for a school.* For each day of the rest of your lives, we can strategically actualize peace and build a movement in your hearts, minds, communities and the world, and turn the slogans in those holiday cards into actions.
    Some suggestions for actualizing peace include:
    ·******* Engaging in clearly and earnestly negotiated, skillfully crafted accords that respect sovereignty, self determination and national visions that may not reflect values held by other countries, but not at the expense of violating the basic rights of all people
    ·******* Providing clean water piped into homes
    ·******* Offering jobs with security, benefits
    ·******* Promoting and supporting literate societies who value discourse, the exchange of ideas and invite a fearless openness
    ·******* recognizing women as viable, intelligent and essential beings in all societies
    ·******* respecting our children, so they in turn respect us
    ·******* practicing your own religion, while respecting the choices of those of us who practice no religion but honor and respect life
    ·******* legislatively insisting that schools be well funded, and include well paid teachers, counselors and nurses
    ·******* well lit, clean communities committed to ensuring a quality of life for all who live within
    ·******* providing wholesome, affordable foods, locally, nationally and internationally grown harvested by workers paid living wages
    ·******* offering preventative health care administered by well trained nurses and doctors who wear medicine proudly, ministering to all equally
    ·******* recognizing, honoring, teaching *and celebrating the fact that Native American, Hispanic, European, African, Asian and Arab intelligence, labor and vision built this country

Go well,
    Daphne Muse

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Thanks for sharing Deepy. Inspirational thoughts are always welcome.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    very much needed and indeed this was on point
    thank u