Jails / Prisons : Innocent teen spent 5 months in prison

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by MsInterpret, Sep 27, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Innocent in shooting, Nicetown youth spent five months in prison

By Joseph A. Slobodzian

[​IMG]

By rights, Lionel Franks should have graduated from high school in June, near the top of his class.

By rights, he already should have started his freshman year at Lincoln University, studying culinary arts.

By rights, he should have been anywhere but in jail for five of the most important months of his teenage life, accused of shooting a man 12 times on a North Philadelphia street.

Franks' bad-dream detour into the city's criminal-justice system began April 9, a Friday mostly spent touring the Lincoln campus in rural Chester County. Back home in his Nicetown neighborhood by midafternoon, he changed into an Adidas sweat suit, green with white stripes down the pants and sleeves, and went shopping for sneakers at a sporting-goods store on Germantown Avenue.

Minutes into the return trip, Franks was swarmed by police. A man had just been gunned down 12 blocks away, they told him, and two witnesses had identified him as the shooter.

Franks showed the officers his bag from Olympia Sports and his new shoes. "You got the wrong guy!" he protested as they cuffed him.

READ: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...cetown_youth_spent_five_months_in_prison.html

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    This just burns me up! :whip:

This one reminds me of that other news story about the young man in NY.

Did you post that one too?? :?:

3. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    No I didn't check that one out

4. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    uh....well... he's black.
    What other escuse is needed to land a man in jail?

Maybe it's all a conspiracy - see the more black men you land in jail.... the more the upper class black women will not want them and will remain single. That means the only women these men are going to get with are hoodrats. Then they produce more hoodrat babies that can go to jail and that keeps America employed. It's good for the economy.

In the meantime, the upper class black women remain single - that means no upper class college bound black folks. Or they get with white men and that means you have a separate class of people that actually turn out better than regular ol class of black folks.

oh... did I say dat? :gossip: :rain:

5. African Rebel

African Rebel Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    i beg to differ....i don't consider mutantlattos real blacks and what do you mean by better?

as for this youngman's unfortunate trials with Amerikkka's injustice system...i'm just happy to know he got out within that same year and not 30 years down the line like so many other innocent brothers though if innocent he really should think of taking legal action.

6. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Really??

Humour me... what's a 'real' black? :qqb015: :fyi:

7. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043

I wonder how many of his own folks shook their heads and wrote him off
    after he was arrested and made some comment about black on black crime..

8. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    HE IS innocent, no doubt, BUT SOMEBODY committed the crime. Assuming there were, in fact, two witnesses, chances are that somebody was Black, therefore, it was a Black on Black crime. (especially considering the fact that the victim is being uncooperative with the police to help identify the real shooter) The police just got the wrong Black guy.

Considering two witnesses gave a description which he fit (based on clothing) and he had blood on his sneakers that had to be processed, it is not totally unreasonable for him to have been a suspect. The system worked. SLOW & and with very unfortunate timing in his life (graduation), but it did WORK.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20100927_Innocent_in_shooting__Nicetown_youth_spent_five_months_in_prison.html?viewAll=y

By then, it had been assigned to Assistant District Attorney William Davis. A prosecutor in the major crimes unit, he thought Franks' arrest appropriate given the initial evidence and the nature of the crime. Still, Franks did not fit the profile of the street-gang executioner believed to have shot Bryant.

That bothered Davis.

"I knew this was not going to be a guilty/not-guilty case," he said. "It was going to be guilty or innocent."

Davis asked the police forensics lab to put aside all tests in the Franks case, save for the one that would be definitive: DNA from the blood on the sneakers.

"The standard for DNA testing is three months," he said. "I really pushed, and got it down to weeks."

On Aug. 31, Franks was taken from prison to the Criminal Justice Center for another pretrial conference. But this time Keenheel had good news.

Franks was going home.

The DNA test showed the blood was his.

A killer in green
    So the question remains: Who shot Robert Bryant?

The case is open. But pursuing it won't be easy, prosecutor Davis acknowledged. Trails have grown cold. And despite the lingering impact of his wounds, Bryant has been less than cooperative when asked who might have wanted him dead.

The search for the gunman in the green sweats, with white stripes down the pants and sleeves, goes on.

9. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I see someone has not read thru the many threads majorily titled:

"blame a black man"

- so hell bent on defending massa's system that even in the face of absolute innocence "they are justified" for detaining any black person even when store video clears him of being any where near the scene at the time of the crime!

these type of "black-ers" make me sick...

10. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Dig the pivot:

:SuN049: