Black People : Information vs Knowledge

Blackbird

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 31, 2004
Da Desert, literally
Occupation
Professional Hitman
I recently connected with an old friend a few weeks ago and had a discussion on a lot of things. During the conversation, he brought up that there was a difference between information and knowledge. My friend said a lot of people have information but very few have knowledge. He asked me if I knew the difference. I told him "no" and then asked him to explain the difference.

He said information is facts, figures and quotes - this can include talking about African history and the like. Knowledge, he said, is applicable. He said when someone has knowledge, especially as it relates to Black people, they know what needs to be done to change their situation and they apply that knowing into practical application to change their reality.

He went on to say that you have a lot of people talking about our situation and then he asked "but how many are using that information to offer practical solutions to change the Black reality and are actually working towards changing the reality for Black folks?"

My friend said that information is useless if it is not used to affect some kind of noticeable change for our people. He said some have information to write books, sell books and profit off of our people's need to know things about our past, but that's about it - basically insinuating that some people are using their research and information gathering to become "knowledge" peddlers to the Black community to receive accolades, "most conscious person" titles, speaking honorariums and book sales.

What do you think? Is there a difference between information and knowledge?

No, everything is applicable. Writing, selling, profiting are applications; conversing, debating, meditating are applications. Even just thinking is an application.

The view that there are things that are useless undermines the usefulness of all things.

Some of the best contemporary action writers of our race spent their childhood reading comic books. One can reason reading comic books is useless, but the universe is more vast than one's reasoning. In everything is a lesson, and those bent on informing and getting titles and the like, give out their fare share of lessons as well.

Welcome back.

I recently connected with an old friend a few weeks ago and had a discussion on a lot of things. During the conversation, he brought up that there was a difference between information and knowledge. My friend said a lot of people have information but very few have knowledge. He asked me if I knew the difference. I told him "no" and then asked him to explain the difference.

He said information is facts, figures and quotes - this can include talking about African history and the like. Knowledge, he said, is applicable. He said when someone has knowledge, especially as it relates to Black people, they know what needs to be done to change their situation and they apply that knowing into practical application to change their reality.

He went on to say that you have a lot of people talking about our situation and then he asked "but how many are using that information to offer practical solutions to change the Black reality and are actually working towards changing the reality for Black folks?"

My friend said that information is useless if it is not used to affect some kind of noticeable change for our people. He said some have information to write books, sell books and profit off of our people's need to know things about our past, but that's about it - basically insinuating that some people are using their research and information gathering to become "knowledge" peddlers to the Black community to receive accolades, "most conscious person" titles, speaking honorariums and book sales.

What do you think? Is there a difference between information and knowledge?

There is a difference and a big one at that. I know plenty of brothers who actually surprised me concerning the info that they had. I knew it was only info and not KNOWLEDGE because they was getting high, slumming and bumming. Had it been KNOWLEDGE they would have INTERNALIZED THE INFO and it would have become a part of who they were. In essence, they would have been living it out in their daily lives...from the mates they choose, to the people they associate with, to the activities they engage in, to the books they read, to the food they eat or don't eat, to the clothes they wear and everything else...even on down to sex.

I haven't read books in years but I can tell you the books, the authors and even the pages where you can find the information. KNOWLEDGE is a double edged sword also...because once it is internalized, the very essence of your being becomes a self accusing spirit that won't allow you to live out anything other than what you KNOW TO BE TRUE.

I could be making a lot of money right now if it wasn't for my knowledge. I could be rubbing elbows with Mr. YT man in one of his offices if it wasn't for my knowledge. I could be capitalizing on the deaf, dumb and blind if it wasn't for my knowledge. I could be playing and layin if it wasn't for my knowledge. I could be hustling my own people if it wasn't for my knowledge. I could be pimpin if it wasn't for my knowledge. I could even be a minister in church getting free money every Sunday if it wasn't for my knowledge.

Are you beginning to understand the difference? When it's just INFORMATION without it becoming KNOWLEDGE due to it being INTERNALIZED....you can do all the things I just mentioned because it is simply info that sits on the surface instead of it becoming who you are.

Keita.Kenyatta™
© 2014

Last edited:
No, everything is applicable. Writing, selling, profiting are applications; conversing, debating, meditating are applications. Even just thinking is an application.

The view that there are things that are useless undermines the usefulness of all things.

Some of the best contemporary action writers of our race spent their childhood reading comic books. One can reason reading comic books is useless, but the universe is more vast than one's reasoning. In everything is a lesson, and those bent on informing and getting titles and the like, give out their fare share of lessons as well.

Welcome back.

Peace Brother,

Thanks for your input. Well put!

I am just back until Thursday and then its off again.

There is a difference and a big one at that. I know plenty of brothers who actually surprised me concerning the info that they had. I knew it was only info and not KNOWLEDGE because they was getting high, slumming and bumming. Had it been KNOWLEDGE they would have INTERNALIZED THE INFO and it would have become a part of who they were. In essence, they would have been living it out in their daily lives...from the mates they choose, to the people they associate with, to the activities they engage in, to the books they read, to the food they eat or don't eat, to the clothes they wear and everything else...even on down to sex.

I haven't read books in years but I can tell you the books, the authors and even the pages where you can find the information. KNOWLEDGE is a double edged sword also...because once it is internalized, the very essence of your being becomes a self accusing spirit that won't allow you to live out anything other than what you KNOW TO BE TRUE.

I could be making a lot of money right now if it wasn't for my knowledge. I could be rubbing elbows with Mr. YT man in one of his offices if it wasn't for my knowledge. I could be capitalizing on the deaf, dumb and blind if it wasn't for my knowledge. I could be playing and layin if it wasn't for my knowledge. I could be hustling my own people if it wasn't for my knowledge. I could be pimpin if it wasn't for my knowledge. I could even be a minister in church getting free money every Sunday if it wasn't for my knowledge.

Are you beginning to understand the difference? When it's just INFORMATION without it becoming KNOWLEDGE due to it being INTERNALIZED....you can do all the things I just mentioned because it is simply info that sits on the surface instead of it becoming who you are.

Keita.Kenyatta™
© 2014

Thank you Brother,

Feel ya and I see the difference clearly.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back